Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/24/2010 2:08:02 PM EDT
OK this is a very graphic video but was wondering two things. Is it real? and Don't cops search people they bring into there interrogation area?

Warning : Video shows a guy kill himself.

Very Graphic video
Link Posted: 1/24/2010 2:37:27 PM EDT
[#1]
the video is real. and man, many agencies show this video for training purposes in showing why you ALWAYS frisk people for weapons.

you can hear the detective curse and then say "nobody shook him" meaning no one checked him, and you can tell that they know the screwed up too.
Link Posted: 1/24/2010 2:47:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Very cavalier about ending his life.
I wish I knew what he was arrested for.
Thank God he didn't kill the detective too.
Link Posted: 1/24/2010 2:54:09 PM EDT
[#3]
If i'm recalling it correctly, he was arrested for alegedly shooting at police officers.
Link Posted: 1/24/2010 4:20:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Very cavalier about ending his life.
I wish I knew what he was arrested for.
Thank God he didn't kill the detective too.

From the link

Ricardo Alfonso Cerna (c. 1956-December 19, 2003) was a man who became famous for committing suicide with a gun while being videotaped in an interrogation room in the San Bernardino County Sheriff's office in Muscoy, California. He was 47 years old.

Cerna, an immigrant from Guatemala, was stopped by Sheriff's Deputy Michael Parham for a traffic vio More..lation on December 19, 2003. He tried to escape in his car and then later on foot. During the pursuit, he shot Deputy Parham twice in the abdomen, non-fatally. Cerna was arrested shortly afterwards. Three agencies had been involved in the chase (the San Bernardino Police, the county sheriff, and the California Highway Patrol). During the apprehension and hand-over, no one made sure he was properly searched.

Cerna shot himself in the side of the head at point-blank range with a .45-caliber handgun that he had hidden in the front of his pants. The entire incident was recorded on the surveillance camera in the interrogation room. Although he died instantly, the damage from the bullet to the inside of his head caused blood to pour rapidly out of the wound, his mouth, and his right ear for the remainder of the video (nearly 30 seconds). The sound is clearly audible on the tape, especially after Cerna's head rolls over to his left.

The Sheriff's Department showed the security camera footage to the media by the following day. To avoid public sensationalism, only a handful of reporters were permitted to see it. The footage was never intended to be made public, but evidently it has been illicitly leaked.

Certain political activists representing the Latino community expressed outrage, claiming Cerna's death to have been murder rather than suicide, with the deputies as the perpetrators. La Voz de Aztlan and other groups believe that, apparently, deputies gave the suspect (who had already allegedly shot one officer) a loaded handgun for the purpose of killing himself
Link Posted: 1/24/2010 8:04:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I hate it when that shit happens. You have to write a report, call the JP...and I bet that detective has to stay overtime that night!
Link Posted: 1/25/2010 5:13:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Crap happens...on both ends of the table.

Interestingly the .45ACP slug didn't go through, must have been hollow points.

Anyways, the life of a cop is always under the microscope.  Anyone find out if any cop was to blame?
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 6:58:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Saved San Bernardino County a lot of tax payer money.  Happy Endings.  They should all be like this.
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 11:32:02 AM EDT
[#8]
You dont pat-down a bad guy that you know for an absolute fact has a weapon? Stupidest thing I have ever heard.
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 12:18:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You dont pat-down a bad guy that you know for an absolute fact has a weapon? Stupidest thing I have ever heard.

My guess is that he had more than one weapon...  they took the one that he had previously used and then just didn't do a good enough job of patting him down to find the 2nd one he had stuffed in his pants.  They might have missed it if they patted down the legs but not the crotch.
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 2:24:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Is it typical to dump your keys or whatever that sounds like metal on the table and leave the room?
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 3:22:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
OK this is a very graphic video but was wondering two things. Is it real? and Don't cops search people they bring into there interrogation area?

Warning : Video shows a guy kill himself.

Very Graphic video

Happened in Ca.
What does this have to do with Texas?
Why must some people do their damnest to turn the HTF into GD?

Link Posted: 1/26/2010 4:04:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Well, that was disturbing.
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 4:18:12 PM EDT
[#13]
wow...

I've seen that vid before, I think on TruTV or something like it...

I still wonder, Why did he drink the water? Isn't it shortly not going to matter that you were thirsty?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top