Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2009 6:29:29 PM EDT
Yeppers, just had it inspected and serviced at the dealership 3 weeks ago. Got pulled over for the license plate light not being bright enough AGAIN. Was running 55 with the cruise control on. As always, no tickets, just license and insurance check. I didn't figure I'd get hassled much this time, my 5 year old daughter was sleeping in the front seat w/booster, my 3 month old son was strapped in the car seat in the back.

Gonna call the dealership tomorrow, have them install a friggin spotlight on it if I have too. As far as I can tell, the license plate light is working just like the factory installed it. I haven't made any alterations to it or anything. I need to sell this friggin car before I slap someone. I can't afford a new one right now either.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:13:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Yeppers, just had it inspected and serviced at the dealership 3 weeks ago. Got pulled over for the license plate light not being bright enough AGAIN. Was running 55 with the cruise control on. As always, no tickets, just license and insurance check. I didn't figure I'd get hassled much this time, my 5 year old daughter was sleeping in the front seat w/booster, my 3 month old son was strapped in the car seat in the back.

Gonna call the dealership tomorrow, have them install a friggin spotlight on it if I have too. As far as I can tell, the license plate light is working just like the factory installed it. I haven't made any alterations to it or anything. I need to sell this friggin car before I slap someone. I can't afford a new one right now either.

I've stopped a GAZILLION defective tag lights.....but never one that wasnt bright enough.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:08:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Wow, something's funny there. I've been driving my current car with no front plate at all for almost 2 years, and haven't even been pulled over.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:20:04 PM EDT
[#3]
year, type and model of car/truck?
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 11:35:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've stopped a GAZILLION defective tag lights.....but never one that wasnt bright enough.

Me too, I won't write a ticket either unless ur a dick.  
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:52:01 AM EDT
[#5]
I have seen someone with a warning for too bright as the cover was broken and it was a bare bulb.
Also know the office who wrote it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:56:51 AM EDT
[#6]
On any other car but something like a vette or euro import I would put 2-4 lights around the plate just so I would not get pulled over again.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:19:58 AM EDT
[#7]
I got a warning ticket from DPS for having one too bright.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:43:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Why is it that my Golf can come from the factory without a light and that's just fine, but my Jeep won't pass inspection if the light is out?  Who comes up with this crap?
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:15:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Tag for what you are driving - pretty sure you are getting 'profiled'....
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:06:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

my first thought.  pull you over for a safety concern then look for something that'll provide probable cause to bust for something bigger than a burnt out light.  i've been pulled over in a red civic hatch back; cop told me my brake light was out.  i get home to check it, and it works fine.  that asshole.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:33:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

05 Mustang GT, I thought everyone would remember the 4 times in 4 years post that I made in September.

When I bought the car, there was a red one and a blue one. I bought the blue one thinking I'd get pulled over too much in the red.

Once I get through this divorce BS, I'm going trade it for a minivan and drop a crate LS7 in it.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:46:46 AM EDT
[#12]
My wife has an 06 Mustang GT Convertible the light is plenty bright on it. I would guess they are profiling you. Sure you dont have loud mufflers on it? All the years I was a Texas Peace Officer I never wrote a tag light ticket....unless the guy was a dick. Sorry had to add that.

Good luck.

Bigjeep
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:03:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Oh, I've never gotten anything more than a warning ticket, that was because I "supposedly" had my high lights on going through Dublin, Texas at 1:30 in the morning. And last year a Dallas cop pulled his Glock and pointed it at me while I was driving because "I was going to run someone over." LONG STORY.

BUT never any tickets.

I'm just tired of getting hassled (and threatened with death).
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:14:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Oh, I've never gotten anything more than a warning ticket, that was because I "supposedly" had my high lights on going through Dublin, Texas at 1:30 in the morning. And last year a Dallas cop pulled his Glock and pointed it at me while I was driving because "I was going to run someone over." LONG STORY.

BUT never any tickets.

Dallas Pd issues a Sig 229.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:27:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

BUT never any tickets.

Dallas Pd issues a Sig 229.

at 40 yards, it looked like a Glock.

Complaints were filed anyway. After 9 months of fighting it, IA blew it off.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:19:56 PM EDT
[#16]
First off the cops are just looking to see if they can go further with the stop by pulling you over for dim lights..................I get pulled all the time until an old friend pulled me over and said they use that excuse all the time to see if they can arrest you for warrants or smell weed....basically anything.

Dim license lights are a good way to get stopped for nothing. I run hundreds of miles everyday on dirt roads and the dust from the roads always get inside the housing and makes my lights dim.

I cut out the burnt yellowish lens and replaced my regular lights for a small PIAA LED bulbs instead. Havent been pulled over in a while because of it.

I suggest you try the same kind of method.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:40:11 PM EDT
[#17]
I stopped by Oriely's on the way home and got a new light. The guy at the parts counter didn't know if there was one bulb in there or two, but they were sold in packs of two.

I got home and pulled the lens off, only ONE BULB inside. It's a weird looking bulb with a silver coating. I replaced it. Looks brighter. We'll see.

Don't know why the old bulb is crapping out, but still lights. I will file it under WTF.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:44:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
First off the cops are just looking to see if they can go further with the stop by pulling you over for dim lights..................I get pulled all the time until an old friend pulled me over and said they use that excuse all the time to see if they can arrest you for warrants or smell weed....basically anything.

+1

classic pretext stop

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:13:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
My wife has an 06 Mustang GT Convertible the light is plenty bright on it. I would guess they are profiling you. Sure you dont have loud mufflers on it? All the years I was a Texas Peace Officer I never wrote a tag light ticket....unless the guy was a dick. Sorry had to add that.

Good luck.

Bigjeep

I think you guys are the dicks for harrassing peaceable citizens for bullshit reasons.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:17:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck.

Bigjeep

I think you guys are the dicks for harrassing peaceable citizens for bullshit reasons.

Bitch Bitch Bitch -  if it bugs you then stop driving or get the laws changed - driving isn't a right it is a privilege -  we are trying to get bad guys off the street anyway the courts will let us before they do bad things to you or your mom or daughter.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:32:20 PM EDT
[#21]
So let's take the privilege away from as many people as possible, right?

You're in public, you gotta be doing something wrong.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:28:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Drivers could just have the required vehicle equipment installed and in working order. It's all found in the Texas Transportation Code:

Sec. 547.322.  TAILLAMPS REQUIRED.  (a)  Except as provided by Subsection (b), a motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, pole trailer, or vehicle that is towed at the end of a combination of vehicles shall be equipped with at least two taillamps.

(b)  A passenger car or truck that was manufactured or assembled before the model year 1960 shall be equipped with at least one taillamp.

(c)  Taillamps shall be mounted on the rear of the vehicle:

(1)  at a height from 15 to 72 inches; and

(2)  at the same level and spaced as widely apart as practicable if a vehicle is equipped with more than one lamp.

(d)  A taillamp shall emit a red light plainly visible at a distance of 1,000 feet from the rear of the vehicle.

(e)  If vehicles are traveling in combination, only the taillamps on the rearmost vehicle are required to emit a light for the distance specified in Subsection (d).

(f)  A taillamp or a separate lamp shall be constructed and mounted to emit a white light that:

(1)  illuminates the rear license plate; and

(2)  makes the plate clearly legible at a distance of 50 feet from the rear.

(g)  A taillamp, including a separate lamp used to illuminate a rear license plate, must emit a light when a headlamp or auxiliary driving lamp is lighted.

But that would be crazy.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 5:00:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

This is why I love these threads...  Eventually it comes out...  For the record I get profiled at least 4 times a year because of what I drive.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 5:49:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is why I love these threads...  Eventually it comes out...  For the record I get profiled at least 4 times a year because of what I drive.

However, just because it happens to you and you're okay with it doesn't mean everybody is okay with it. At least you guys get pulled over for mechanical reasons. I get pulled over for suspected littering via throwing a cigarette out the window. I don't smoke.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:53:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

(2)  makes the plate clearly legible at a distance of 50 feet from the rear.
[/span]
(g)  A taillamp, including a separate lamp used to illuminate a rear license plate, must emit a light when a headlamp or auxiliary driving lamp is lighted.

But that would be crazy. [/quote]

That's why when she pulled me over and told me it had to be visible at 50 YARDS, I corrected her.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:00:05 AM EDT
[#26]
In TX driving is a RIGHT and not a privalidge, there are NO driving laws in TX just driving rules and regulations that you agree to abide by IF you get a TX Drivers License.

You have a constitution right to travel by the most modern convience available which in our day and time is an automobile.

Now you do need a TX license for Commerical driving but not for private travel.

I have a friend that has no TX drivers license and has beaten every ticket he has received on appeal, he always looses at the local level because it's not a court of record and they could care less what the laws are.
Once appealed it goes to the County, which is a court of record and they drop the charges, sometimes he must make two or three trips there before they drop it.  But he always asks for a Jury trail at the county level and the last thing they want is actual case law to support his position.  
So they stall trying to get him to plead it out but in the end just drop the charges since he's correct.

Now if you get a TX drivers license then you are under contract law because you have one and you agree to abide by their rules and regulations.

A lot of States DO have driving laws but NOT Texas.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:54:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
In TX driving is a RIGHT and not a privalidge, there are NO driving laws in TX just driving rules and regulations that you agree to abide by IF you get a TX Drivers License.

You have a constitution right to travel by the most modern convience available which in our day and time is an automobile.

I have a friend that has no TX drivers license and has beaten every ticket he has received on appeal, he always looses at the local level because it's not a court of record and they could care less what the laws are.
Once appealed it goes to the County, which is a court of record and they drop the charges, sometimes he must make two or three trips there before they drop it.  But he always asks for a Jury trail at the county level and the last thing they want is actual case law to support his position.  
So they stall trying to get him to plead it out but in the end just drop the charges since he's correct.

Now if you get a TX drivers license then you are under contract law because you have one and you agree to abide by their rules and regulations.

Didnt care until this, in for the LEO response.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 1:17:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lemme guess......Hes a member of the Republic of Texas.

I've written a metric shit ton of tickets to ROT members and have never been beaten in court or had a ticket tossed out or dismissed for lack of PC. These kind of violations are taken to appellate court all the time.  I really like it when they FAIL TO APPEAR,  we get ot go pick them up on our terms.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:00:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Things I've been pulled over for over the years:

- brake light out (his lights went on before he passed me in the oncoming lane)

- music too loud (stereo was broken)

- seatbelt not on (was on)

- flag on license plate obscured (it wasn't)

Shockingly my flagrant non-violations of the law immediately stopped when I got a different car.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:50:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm pretty sure this is 100% pure bullshit - if he cares to IM with the details I'll be happy to check it out and let you know.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:39:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Please post evidence of such.  The Texas Constitution mentions nothing about a right of transportation.
You can drive a vehicle on private property without a license, but you can not operate a motor vehicle on public roads legally without a State issued DL.  The roads are state/federal owned and thus you agree to their rules and regulations when you drive on them.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:46:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

05 Mustang GT, I thought everyone would remember the 4 times in 4 years post that I made in September.

When I bought the car, there was a red one and a blue one. I bought the blue one thinking I'd get pulled over too much in the red.

Once I get through this divorce BS, I'm going trade it for a minivan and drop a crate LS7 in it.

If you come down to So. Texas, we'll pull you over cause you're prob hauling illegals...
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:35:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Operating a motor vehicle on a public roadway is not a "right." LOL. You must possess a valid and current operator's license. Also, the vehicle must meet all transportation code laws including safety, registration. Defective LP lamp is PC. Helps catch criminals. POM, Warrants, Thiefs, FMFR, etc.

Make sure it works, and make sure it illuminates the plate enough to discern it from 50 FT away.

Not a real complicated issue.

Do not install a LP frame that covers 50% or more of the "TEXAS" or the identifying characters of the plate.

Also, mount your front plate.

Three biggest PC stops.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:25:59 AM EDT
[#34]
Constables started following me this morning, I guess my plates are still good. Of course I pulled into McDonalds a few blocks away, drunk guy sitting on the curb drinking an XL can of Busch beer and puking. Good thing I'm more of a threat than he is.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top