Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2009 6:17:49 AM EDT
I'm looking for any hunting areas that are close to my home. I'm sure someone in here knows how to find these areas so if you wouldn't mind sharing some info just let me know.

ETA. I've looked at maps of my area and there seems to be quite a few acres that would be adequate but what I don't know is if I can hunt these same areas.

Thanks

AKASL

LIVE FREE OR DIE
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 6:27:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Are you new to Texas?  Sorry, have to ask.  Hunting in Texas, has become very commercial.  The farmers discovered a few (ok several) years ago that there is a cash crop for hunters who are willing to shell out upwards of $3000/year to shoot one deer.  Even a "cheap" lease will go for $1500 per gun, unless you go waaaayy out away from any of the larger cities, or possibly down near the border.  Im looking as well.  When I was growing up in another state, my grandpa knew all the farmers and we never had to bother with getting a lease.  Times are different.

Check out www.leasehunter.com
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:22:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Are you new to Texas?  Sorry, have to ask.  Hunting in Texas, has become very commercial.  The farmers discovered a few (ok several) years ago that there is a cash crop for hunters who are willing to shell out upwards of $3000/year to shoot one deer.  Even a "cheap" lease will go for $1500 per gun, unless you go waaaayy out away from any of the larger cities, or possibly down near the border.  Im looking as well.  When I was growing up in another state, my grandpa knew all the farmers and we never had to bother with getting a lease.  Times are different.

Check out www.leasehunter.com

Sort of new to Texas .... Moved here in early 2007. Never had to get a lease in my home state and I was able to walk out my back door and go hunting for deer, moose, bear, and small game. Times are definetly different here.

AKASL

LIVE FREE OR DIE

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:45:16 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I'm looking for any hunting areas that are close to my home. I'm sure someone in here knows how to find these areas so if you wouldn't mind sharing some info just let me know.

ETA. I've looked at maps of my area and there seems to be quite a few acres that would be adequate but what I don't know is if I can hunt these same areas.

Thanks

AKASL

LIVE FREE OR DIE

Might help if you stated where you live.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 9:56:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks

AKASL

LIVE FREE OR DIE

Might help if you stated where you live.

I'm in the Magnolia / Conroe area on the north side of 1488

AKASL

LIVE FREE OR DIE
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 12:16:37 PM EDT
[#5]
It really depends on what your hunting for.  If its crows or pigs you just find a farmer say you won't leave any trash, will pay for anything if it gets broken, and hand them a paper saying you won't sue them for any reason and your in.  If its deer check craigs list, some will trade work for a lease, find a friend who has a lease and chip in.  Ducks are somewhere between the crows and deer.  Turkey you will probly need a lease but I would say try the public land around for that, get on the internet and search for those areas.  Oh and dove you will need a lease.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 12:24:37 PM EDT
[#6]
First off, do you have a valid Texas hunting license and have you completed Texas Hunters Education?  If not, that's your first task.  Don't ever go onto private property, especially with a gun in Texas.  Getting caught poaching will land you in prison, or worst case shot or killed.  Buy a Texas Public hunting Permit for $45 and they will send you a map with all public hunting land and rules/regulations.  Read ENTIRE Texas Hunting Manual and know all Federal, State and local County laws before you go anywhere.  There are special, specific laws for public hunting so know them all.  Getting caught by a Game Warden is not good if you are breaking any laws.  They won't accept "I am new to Texas" or "I didn't know."  They can fine you, take your gun and even your car.  Know the laws, do it right and you will be fine.  As for finding a place to hunt, make friends with someone that has a lease or purchase a spot on an annual hunting lease.  Most annual leases in TX let you hunt all legal game when in season, year round and when there isn't any game in season you can just go out and target shoot, camp and drink lots of beer with your buds.  Welcome to TX
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 12:55:43 PM EDT
[#7]
The problem with most public land is it is mostly shotgun, muzzle loader or archery only.  Very few public hunting areas allow centerfire rifle, and probably for good reason, as many of them would be war zones on opening day of deer season.  Texas is just getting too damn populated.  If your in Conroe, check out Sam Houston national forrest.  Also, as the others have suggested , make sure to review all information on existing regulations.  You can read all about those things at this link
Texas Parks and Wildlife Department

I like public hunting areas if for one reason - lots of land to roam over.  Its one reason I got back into archery.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 1:53:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The problem with most public land is it is mostly shotgun, muzzle loader or archery only.  Very few public hunting areas allow centerfire rifle, and probably for good reason, as many of them would be war zones on opening day of deer season.  Texas is just getting too damn populated.  If your in Conroe, check out Sam Houston national forrest.  Also, as the others have suggested , make sure to review all information on existing regulations.  You can read all about those things at this link

I like public hunting areas if for one reason - lots of land to roam over.  Its one reason I got back into archery.

I just took a good look at the Sam Houston National Forest WMA and that's not too far north of where I am. Can anyone tell me a little more about this area?

Thanks

AKASL

LIVE FREE OR DIE
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 2:34:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just took a good look at the Sam Houston National Forest WMA and that's not too far north of where I am. Can anyone tell me a little more about this area?

Thanks

AKASL

LIVE FREE OR DIE

Get a Public Hunting Public permits from the same location you got your license.  The state will mail you a book of maps.  Lots of Public hunting in the Conroe area.  The further you get from Houston the better.  And if you are willing to walk in more the 100 ft you will not have much company.  Each are has different rules and each county has different rules.  And the national forest has its own rules.  Read carefully.  Most areas motor vehicles are not allowed.  So be prepared to hike in and drag your deer out.  I do lots of scouting to find a good location something I learned as a kid up north.  Something these “shoot them at the feeder” hunters know nothing about.  A lot of land in the National forest you can hike year round so you can scout year round.  Some of the Public hunting land is privet land leased by the state and you only have access during the season. Read the rules for each area.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 4:50:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes, by all means you have hunting lands galore within a couple hours drive. Sam Houston is your closest bet, but a little drive further up north is Davy Crockett, and out this way is Big Thicket National Parks as well as State Forest to hunt. Check out the available land for the Army Corps of Engineers and State Parks just north of your location too. Check the topo maps, look for deer traffic crossing the forest roads, set up near/downwind of crossings/scrap lines/rubs-good luck.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:38:00 PM EDT
[#11]
tag for info.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top