Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/10/2009 5:12:17 PM EDT
High Performance Operations Block One – High-Angle Skills

TIGER Valley will be offering a one day class covering aspects of high-angle operations on October 31st and again on November 7th.  This course will be taught as a hands-on in-the-field operations course.  Individuals should come prepared to learn skills and principles that fuel operational success when people and teams are working towards a goal.  Skills covered include high angle safety, equipment overview and selection, rugged terrain movement, basic rappel techniques and traverse techniques.

This course will be held at Lake Whitney, Texas, just a short drive from the metroplex.

TIGER Valley does have loaner equipment for this course.  Be sure to note in your registration if you will need it.

Required Equipment
Leather gloves
Head protection (rappel helmet, bike helmet, etc)
Day pack
Water
Snacks
Sunscreen
Boots with lug soles
Rappel harness and hardware (optional)

Cost $99.00  Space is limited because of equipment needs.  Contact www.tigervalley.com

Link Posted: 10/10/2009 6:35:51 PM EDT
[#1]
TJ,

Will high angle rescue, or at least familiarization of rescue be part of the class?

Also, where did Bruce get his helmet?

mm
Link Posted: 10/11/2009 4:09:11 PM EDT
[#2]
In for the 7th. I can bother the hell out of yall about what I need for my particular Get home plan...
Phone call incoming.
MArk
Link Posted: 10/11/2009 6:50:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
TJ,

Will high angle rescue, or at least familiarization of rescue be part of the class?

Also, where did Bruce get his helmet?

mm

Hi mm,

This isn't a rescue-specific class.  Safety is paramount and this is the starting point.  This more than just rappelling since we're actually working in rugged terrain.  That said, we will certainly work on the fundamentals that you'll need to move into the rescue arena.  Class will start with hands-on lecture and then hands-on on the rocks.  

Gear Express (www.gearexpress.com) carries several climbing-specific manufacturers and if I had to recommend one, I'd look at the Camp Rock Star on the inexpensive end, or the Kong line for a higher end.  I think REI has them in the stores as well.  The protecs are technically not climbing helmets, but do fair duty as an all-around skid-lid in both water and high angle operations.  We use them for their versatility and light weight.  The best source for the protec ace is NRS (www.nrsweb.com).
Link Posted: 10/12/2009 7:27:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Im retarded and didnt put a note in my payment that I need loaner gear....
Thanks
Link Posted: 10/12/2009 9:21:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Its been a while since I have used their facility, but dosent that park have a 150' tower?  I seem to remember a big wooden telephone pole rapel tower back in the 90s.  Like I said, its been a while.  That may be somewhere else, but I made a LOT of descents on it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2009 5:16:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Its been a while since I have used their facility, but dosent that park have a 150' tower?  I seem to remember a big wooden telephone pole rapel tower back in the 90s.  Like I said, its been a while.  That may be somewhere else, but I made a LOT of descents on it.

Not anything like that anywhere around Whitney.  It's all edwards limestone cliffs and canyons along the entire 26 mile long lake.  I think the closest rappel tower is at the regional fire academy in Cleburne.
Link Posted: 10/15/2009 11:36:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Ever consider offering a class like this in the Austin San Antonio Area?  The hill coundtry is definately rough terrain.  I'd be in for that class fo sho!
Link Posted: 10/21/2009 9:02:26 AM EDT
[#8]
How much climbing is gonna be involved? lazy ass wants to know..

thnx
Link Posted: 10/22/2009 5:21:35 AM EDT
[#9]
We will be doing some simple ascending and slab climbing out of necessity.  But this is not really considered climbing in the traditional sense.  To learn proper climbing techniques takes much more than a one day type of class.  There will be plenty of moving over rough terrain (and doing it safely) though.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:15:49 AM EDT
[#10]
course info says 8am at Lake Whitney - WHERE at lake Whitney for those of us who have never been....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top