Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2009 9:50:11 AM EDT
Well about 4 years ago I was Honorably Discharge from the Marines while I was stationed at Quantico in northern VA.  I was discharged due convenience of the Government, because my knees started to go south and all the Doctors said there wasn't any thing they could do for me at this point.  No they didn't give me a medical Discharge(bastards).  I stuck around Northern VA to help my Aunt's family out.  My Uncle had a brain tumor about 7 years ago and when they operated on it, they caused some brain damage.  He couldn't really be a fatherly figure to my Cousins, so I moved in to help out and instill some order back into the house as the kids were messing up at school and home.  It only took two weeks of me being there for the youngest one's teacher to call home and ask what they did to make such a drastic change in his behavior.  My Aunt told her, "My Nephew just moved in after being discharge from the Marines."  To which the teacher replied, "You can never let him leave!"  

Well I am leaving.  I'm coming back home to Texas.  I was born in Dallas and lived there until I joined the Marines.  I now have my own kid on the way and I wanted to make sure that he/she was a Native Texan!  My Girlfriend and I are moving to Austin.  We are leaving VA on Oct 1st, I can hardly wait!

I have a few questions.

1. Where are some good rifle ranges in the Austin area? (at least 200yrd)
2. I know there are some public lands and leases for hunting hogs in East Texas.  How far are they from Austin?  Any one wanna take me out?
3. Is Austin as bad as some of you make it sound, as far as the liberals go?  I mean I've been right next to DC for some time now.  I think I've been jaded a bit.
4. How bad is the drought right now?

Thanks for any answers!
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:55:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Howdy,

I am in Cedar Park, which is one of the Suburbs north of Austin.

Here is a link where I do most of my shooting.

http://eaglepeakshootingrange.com/riflerange.html

They have up to 300 yds for rifle.  They are not fancy, but good people in my experience.  It is cheap to join, lifetime membership and like $10 a day to shoot, as opposed to $10-15 per hour like some other places.  And they really mean lifetime.  I joined when I was 14 or 15.  Went back about 6 months ago, told them I had joined years ago, they checked their records and printed up a new ID card.  Good to go.

It is pretty liberal, but it is not bad.  I went away to A&M, but moved back as soon as i graduated.

The lakes are really low, and we have pretty stringent watering restrictions right now, but it is not terrible.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:23:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
...snip...

1. Where are some good rifle ranges in the Austin area? (at least 200yrd)

Someone else mentioned Eagle Peak...  the problem I have with them is they are a "no FMJ" range and otherwise have a reputation for being FUDerly.  You might try Lone Star down in Lockhart, especially if you aren't on the north side of town.  Your other possibility would be to join the Austin Rifle Club.  I've been meaning to, but haven't been able to make it happen yet.

2. I know there are some public lands and leases for hunting hogs in East Texas.  How far are they from Austin?  Any one wanna take me out?

The only ones I've seen were all 2+ hour drive.  You may be better off finding a private land lease, but I could be wrong.

3. Is Austin as bad as some of you make it sound, as far as the liberals go?  I mean I've been right next to DC for some time now.  I think I've been jaded a bit.

If you are used to DC, it isn't that bad.  Its more like Berkeley.  Luckily it is surrounded by Texas, and the suburbs are not nearly as liberal.

4. How bad is the drought right now?

It is pretty bad...  Especially if you are a boater.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:55:00 AM EDT
[#3]
I have talked to folks that have had bad experiences with Eagle, but every time I have been out there, everyone has been friendly.  Maybe I an not acting up enough.

If you are not on the central/north side, might look elsewhere just so you are not driving.  But if you have been around DC, you are likely used to traffic.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:25:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, traffic is bad here.  I can't wait to get back for that reason among others.  There are so many immigrants here that don't know how to drive.  This area is a huge melting pot.  It's funny I remember in Texas that when lanes merge people would merge one car at a time from each lane.  Not here, you have people trying to get merged 2-3 at a time, that or they will just go around all of the people trying merge so they can get to work one car length faster!  It's crazy and I can tell that it slows down the traffic even more.  Wish I had a big truck.  I'd just ride the line and make them stop going around.  

Thanks for the information, keep it coming!
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:32:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Hate to say it, but you just described all the problems my wife has with Austin Traffic.  

But at least you will be back in TX!!!
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:45:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Ahhh crap.

Your right though, at least I'll be back in Texas!  Plus I'll be telecommuting so it won't be like it is now.  I drive 35 miles in this traffic, and that is just to get to work!
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:52:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Finally bit the bullet and joined ARC.  I was ecstatic to learn they recently added 5 "action" bays.  Awesome.  I'm interested in the club rules for those bays... haven't found anything just yet.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:58:51 AM EDT
[#8]
I have been working remotely for almost a yr now.  I love it.

I want to check out the ARC.  If I can find a weekend I would love to shoot some IDPA out there.  Have not done that yet.

Do you know where you are looking at living?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:37:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Do join the Austin Rifle Club

Live just outside of Austin and not in Travis Co. (save some $$$)

Glad you're back
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:33:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Finally bit the bullet and joined ARC.  I was ecstatic to learn they recently added 5 "action" bays.  Awesome.  I'm interested in the club rules for those bays... haven't found anything just yet.

They are still working on the rules for general membership use of the action bays. From what I have heard, expect them to be almost the same as the Range B rules.

Gringop
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:15:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
They are still working on the rules for general membership use of the action bays. From what I have heard, expect them to be almost the same as the Range B rules.

That esplains it.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:25:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Are you going to use your GI Bill?  If you enlisted in Texas and it is your HOR, don't forget about Hazelwood.
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 5:21:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Thanks for any answers!

Get an annual public hunting permit and buy a bow.  Granger WMA is on Granger Lake, about an hour northeast of Austin, but they only allow archery.  I went there for the first time a few weeks ago, but got skunked, because I suck at hunting.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top