Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2009 9:14:50 PM EDT
Checking for a friend who would like to do some 1000 yard+ shooting. Would need to be public access and open on a normal schedule.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:30:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Tiger Valley, TacPro, Fort Wolters, Badlands Tactical are the first few which come to mind.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:08:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Tiger Valley and Wolters are only open on certain schedules. Tac Pro only allows 600 yds - until you 'qualify' to shoot on out to 1000 and they only hold 'qualifiers' once a month. Once you qualify, you can shoot 1000 yds anytime (as long as somebody else isn't shooting a shorter distance). It's about as close to 'public access' and 'open on a regular schedule' as it gets.

I know nothing about the other place.

Tiger Valley has the best facilities, with military style pits, but TJ keeps the range pretty busy with classes and it's hard to get down there for the few times he has scheduled for 'open range shoots'. It's not 'open access'.

There are a number of ranges that have 300 yds, but ones which have longer ranges are few and far between. One of the ranges west of Waco has 600 yds from a tower, but you have to find a time when nobody else is using the shorter ranges.

To my knowledge, there are only 3 - 1000 yd 'known distance ranges' in the state. None of them is open for just anybody to walk on and shoot 1000yds.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:52:23 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Tac Pro only allows 600 yds - until you 'qualify' to shoot on out to 1000 and they only hold 'qualifiers' once a month. Once you qualify, you can shoot 1000 yds anytime (as long as somebody else isn't shooting a shorter distance). It's about as close to 'public access' and 'open on a regular schedule' as it gets.

On small additional deatail about Tac Pro, is that you must pay the annual Membership Fee in order to shoot past 200 Yards. I believe it's still $200 the first year, and the $180 thereafter.  The 300, 400, 500, and 1000 yard range is all "one" range. What this means is that if someone is shooting at less than 1000 yards, you must wait until they finish before you setup at the 1000 yard berm. It is located 62 Miles East of Ft. Worth and offers a desert terain environment. It is not what I would consider to be a "manicured" or plush facility, but we can't complain too much, as it is pretty much all we've got in North Texas. Oh, and be sure to bring a chair if you plan to shoot at either 100 or 200 yards, because that range never has more than 3 chairs available (even though there are about 12 concrete covered tables).  And if you want to shoot on the long range, plan on shooting prone unless you're the only one person out there, due to the lack of tables and chairs on that range. There are a few possitives too though; 1) No range officers messing with you, 2) It's typically never crowded, so you can really tinker with your chronograph if you need to, without waiting for cease fires, etc., 3) It is open every day from 8am - 6pm., 4) There is an excellent Retail store on-site., 5) The employees are outstanding and friendly.

If I had any capital, I would purchase land (or lease it preferably) and build a world-class rifle range the right way, just outside the Dallas County limits. North Texas is desperately in need of it and it would make a killing financially.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:03:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:56:11 PM EDT
[#5]

*innocent grin*

Thanks Mojo :)

Speaking of 1000 yards at Tac Pro, the Sept. 1000 yard qualifier is tomorrow, Sunday, at 10:00AM CST.  

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:47:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I know of one, but you must have a Barrett M82 and take me with you and let me have some trigger time.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:57:57 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I know of one, but you must have a Barrett M82 and take me with you and let me have some trigger time.

Would a 98Bravo suffice?

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:17:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Would a 98Bravo suffice?

Sure! How much is 338 brass nowdays?  A 1200Yard steel buffalo plate would be easy pickings for you.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 12:43:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

There are a number of ranges that have 300 yds,

like where?   nothing near sherman to gainesville down to 380...  friggin sucks.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 1:40:09 PM EDT
[#10]
I shot 1000 yards today, at a steel target, while completing the long range qual at Tac Pro. It was a busy weekend out there, but the weather was great!  Oh, and while I was out there, I chrono'd Black Hills WinMatch 175g. From the Remington 5R, it was posting an average of 2560.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top