Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2009 7:37:28 AM EDT
Ok, we waited and waited for it, AND... it just wasn't that funny.

And the whole Kanye West deal, just super awkward, he looked pretty stupid.

Seinfeld and Oprah??? Ok, still not funny.

Maybe it was typical Leno, but for a first show with all the hype, I expected a Blockbuster Show.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 7:39:43 AM EDT
[#1]
I think everything Seinfeld touches now turns to led.  Like the Microsoft adds he did.  I'm still wondering what the heck ...
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 7:48:41 AM EDT
[#2]
The carwash skit was pretty funny.  But other then that.  Meh.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 8:19:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I think everything Seinfeld touches now turns to led.  Like the Microsoft adds he did.  I'm still wondering what the heck ...

Hah, forgot all about that..those where strange... I never have liked Seinfeld, but did enjoy a jetta commercial where he claims a car on the sales lot by licking the door so no one else could have it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 9:16:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Despite the hype my expectations weren't very high...  and I still wasn't all that impressed.  Ah well.  Jay...  you're still no Johnny.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 9:22:54 AM EDT
[#5]
I saw some of it, but it looked just like the Tonight Show with a different set and no desk.  I mean he even had the same band!  For all the talk, they made it sound like it was going to be something special/different, but it really wasn't, just another late night talk show.  Only difference is this one happens to come on two hours earlier.  Really makes you wonder why Leno left the Tonight Show to begin with?  I have to believe the ratings have dropped since Conan took over.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 10:28:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Really makes you wonder why Leno left the Tonight Show to begin with?  I have to believe the ratings have dropped since Conan took over.

Five years ago Conan was dominating his time slot and NBC was worried he was going to leave to another network and compete against Jay Leno.  When his contract was negotiated they promised that Conan would get to take over the Tonight Show in 2009.  Later on they realized that meant they had to do something with Jay or risk him going to another network and competing against Conan, and this new half baked talk show was the result.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 12:24:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 1:35:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

To me Jay Leno's stuff is funnier than Conan's and David Letterman's.

I like Leno better too. Conan is just stupid and Dave needs new jokes.

I liked Leno's new show...
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:42:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Leno is really trying to make a lot of risque jokes. It's like your father making sex jokes. Awkward.

It's strange Conan has to dull down his jokes to not offed people at midnight, but Jay is making sex jokes and asking Tom Cruise if he's been to a strip club at 10.

Jay looks really nervous and out of place, which is weird for a guy who has been doing this forever.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 7:46:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Were we expecting Jay Leno to be someone other than Jay Leno?  It was what I expected, the Jay Leno show.  Hype or not, sure beats Conan O'Brien.
But Jay earns a black mark for tonight's show as he had Michael Moore as a guest.  DOUCHE BAG!
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:09:59 AM EDT
[#11]
What are you guys talking about? Jays not on the tonite show any more that's Conan.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:44:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What are you guys talking about? Jays not on the tonite show any more that's Conan.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:03:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Don't tell AR15Vern about the digital conversion.  It's better he not know.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:36:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Jay blows, always has always will.  He's a phoney.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 3:28:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

A phoney? Hardly. He has extensive experience in standup comedy from way back and continued to do so even as host of The Tonight Show. I think his comedy appeals to a broader audience while Conan's is darker and more of an acquired taste. Maybe Leno didn't deserve The Tonight Show over Letterman back when Carson retired but he has more than earned his keep in ratings and viewership. Your opinion that he blows is valid but I'd argue that he is far from a phoney.

Now about this Michael Moore guy ...
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 3:38:14 PM EDT
[#16]
I wasn't all that impressed...but it is a hell of a lot funnier than Conan. Give him a few weeks and hopefully he'll be more comfortable in his new setting/time slot.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:26:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

A phoney? Hardly. He has extensive experience in standup comedy from way back and continued to do so even as host of The Tonight Show. I think his comedy appeals to a broader audience while Conan's is darker and more of an acquired taste. Maybe Leno didn't deserve The Tonight Show over Letterman back when Carson retired but he has more than earned his keep in ratings and viewership. Your opinion that he blows is valid but I'd argue that he is far from a phoney.

Now about this Michael Moore guy ...

stand up is a lot different than what he's doing currently.  he has horrible phoney rapport with his guests and always wears that phoney smile; there's just nothing real there in his interviews.  i don't like his on screen presence either.  his humor, although written for him I'm sure, is not funny and it's just a bore fest.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:14:54 PM EDT
[#18]
have you guys watched Late Night w/Jimmy Fallon?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:56:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Pretending to step aside for Conan and then setting up shop right in front of his fledgling show was a serious dick move regardless of what you think of Conan. I hope his show bombs.

If Carson had done that to Jay the Tonight Show would have ceased to exist.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:16:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Pretending to step aside for Conan and then setting up shop right in front of his fledgling show was a serious dick move regardless of what you think of Conan. I hope his show bombs.

he didn't pretend to step aside, they kicked him out. when conan signed for his previous spot, it was in his contract that he would take over for Jay by a certain year.  so, even though Jay had a successful show, the network told him he had to move aside, so they made a spot for him where it is now.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:29:43 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

he didn't pretend to step aside, they kicked him out. when conan signed for his previous spot, it was in his contract that he would take over for Jay by a certain year.  so, even though Jay had a successful show, the network told him he had to move aside, so they made a spot for him where it is now.

He didn't get kicked out, he worked out a deal with them years ago and said he was okay with leaving the show. As the date got closer for him to leave, he started making noise about not wanting to go and they placated him by letting him screw over Conan. He was a giant douche for the way he got the Tonight Show and he was a giant douche in the way he left the Tonight Show.

Some of this would be forgivable if he was actually funny or anything other than the most bland, unoriginal, and generic of comedians.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:01:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Robin Williams was funny last night. Robin Williams is always funny. How in the hell they scheduled Sienfeld and Micheal Moore before Robin Williams is beyond me. He's gonna be doing a joke one day, have a heart attack, and die with a big smile on his face. I gotta find some Mork and Mindy reruns.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top