Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/29/2009 9:17:07 AM EDT
Can anyone recommend a good place in Houston to take the CHL class? Are some of them better than others or are they all pretty much the same? I'm right down the road from Top Gun and Memorial Shooting Center, but with the amount of questionable information I've heard from their normal staff I am a bit leery of how their classes are.

I'm on the southwest side of town near the beltway, but don't mind driving if it is worth it.

Thanks!

Link Posted: 7/29/2009 12:56:10 PM EDT
[#1]
The people I know who took their CHL at Top Gun were extremely satisfied.  There is a range on Witte Road (East of Gessner) just North of I-10 West.  Used to be Texas Shooting Center.  They have classes also.
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 1:08:00 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

The people I know who took their CHL at Top Gun were extremely satisfied.  There is a range on Witte Road (East of Gessner) just North of I-10 West.  Used to be Texas Shooting Center.  They have classes also.

The one on Witte is Memorial Shooting Center now. Thanks for the info on Top Gun, though. I'd heard mixed information on their training.

Link Posted: 7/29/2009 1:27:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Tom Estep out in Texas City holds a weekly class, it may be bit of a drive for you from Houston but he's a great instructor.

Classes held in Texas City weekly.
Call ( 409 ) 945-6636 or mobile ( 281 ) 455-0846.
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 1:28:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I took the CHL class through Jim Pruett's Guns and Ammo and found it to be very thorough and the fee includes everything but the passport photos.
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 1:47:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Tom Estep out in Texas City holds a weekly class, it may be bit of a drive for you from Houston but he's a great instructor.

+1 on Tom Estep
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 3:59:58 PM EDT
[#6]
the impact zone

includes fingerprints, notary, photos, and lunch.
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 4:35:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 5:29:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I extremely highly recommend One Day CHL.  He does everything, fingerprints, passport photos, checks your forms...everything right there on site.  And I think his fees are among the lowest.  $95 for everything, and he's a darn nice guy with a first class attitude.  You leave with a packet ready to put in the mail.

Th class is very fast pace, but he does a great job keeping the attention and momentum going.

Check him out at onedaychl  dot  com.

He taught my class, my wifes, my shooting buddie's and his wife, each in different sessions.
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 5:36:54 PM EDT
[#9]
I took my last CHL renewal at Top Gun and was very pleased.  Great instructor, good class.
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 5:41:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for all the suggestions, I really appreciate it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 8:54:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Can anyone recommend a good place in Houston to take the CHL class? Are some of them better than others or are they all pretty much the same? I'm right down the road from Top Gun and Memorial Shooting Center, but with the amount of questionable information I've heard from their normal staff I am a bit leery of how their classes are.

I'm on the southwest side of town near the beltway, but don't mind driving if it is worth it.

Thanks!

Top Gun...SW Houston, nice facilities.

HH
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 12:22:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Took mine at Top Gun.  Good class, everything is taken care of on-site and the range is decent.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 6:11:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Took mine at Top gun as well and I enjoyed the class. Does anyone know if there range has been redone since the fire?
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 6:36:15 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Took mine at Top gun as well and I enjoyed the class. Does anyone know if there range has been redone since the fire?

I'm not sure, but it was closed a couple of weeks ago and looks like it has opened back up now. I might try to head over there this weekend, if I do I'll let you know.

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 7:22:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

+1 Great guy.  His classes are especially suited to teaching females too.

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 7:28:05 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 Great guy.  His classes are especially suited to teaching females too.

Can you elaborate on that? My wife is going to be going with me.

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 6:33:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Yeah Top Gun has a pretty good class, took mine there as well.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 4:38:05 PM EDT
[#18]
memorial SS,
its worth taking just to have the "Paul Smith" experience
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 5:10:05 PM EDT
[#19]
What does Top Gun teach with respect to carry in churches?  I'm amazed how many instructors get this wrong.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 5:43:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I took the CHL class through Jim Pruett's Guns and Ammo and found it to be very thorough and the fee includes everything but the passport photos.

I took my last renewal with Pruett's, since it was logistically convenient.....man, what a disappointment.

If you are into things like Jim making entirely inappropriate racial slurs about a particular demographic group that was legally represented in the class to the tune of 5-6 individuals, or want to be a captive audience for an hour or more to receive a sales pitch at their store while the renewals are taking the test, then by all means go for it.  I will not do a class with them ever again.

It is a real shame for the high quality instructors/RSO's  and Sgt. HBN who does the fingerprinting to be tainted by the fact that Mr. Pruett has not yet realized that a has-been radio shock jock does not necessarily make a good firearms dealer / instruction sponsor.   YMMV
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top