Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/5/2009 9:11:49 AM EDT
Hey Guys.  I have a ak-74 I need to swap barrels on.  Anyone having a build party in Dallas in the near Future?

Link Posted: 7/5/2009 9:43:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm in if there is one.  Still have two Romy-G kits to rivet together.
Link Posted: 7/6/2009 6:01:56 PM EDT
[#2]
That's two.  How many more do we need for it to be a party?....... LOL  
Link Posted: 7/6/2009 7:08:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I have pretty much all the build tools in McKinney, but only have a two car garage, so not enough room for a real build party.  The biggest thing I am missing is a set of 5.45 headspace guages.

If mustang303302 wants to get a set (needed for a barrel swap), everything else is covered.
Link Posted: 7/6/2009 9:13:20 PM EDT
[#4]
how much would u charge to install a new barrel in a wasr10
Link Posted: 7/7/2009 8:57:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have pretty much all the build tools in McKinney, but only have a two car garage, so not enough room for a real build party.  The biggest thing I am missing is a set of 5.45 headspace guages.

If mustang303302 wants to get a set (needed for a barrel swap), everything else is covered.

What rivet tools do you possess, modified bolt cutters or the jigs and a press?
Link Posted: 7/7/2009 1:23:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a tantal that just needs to be riveted together and barrel pressed in all the rest has been done.
Link Posted: 7/7/2009 2:27:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I've got a couple of romy kits that need to be built...

but dallas is kind of a long ways to drive from the corpus christi area.
Link Posted: 7/7/2009 6:13:04 PM EDT
[#8]
I have bolt cutters and bucking plates for the short rivets, and a jig for the trigger guard and long rear rivets.  Dont knock the bolt cutters, they leave perfect rivet heads when used with these bucking plates.
Link Posted: 7/7/2009 7:47:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have bolt cutters and bucking plates for the short rivets, and a jig for the trigger guard and long rear rivets.  Dont knock the bolt cutters, they leave perfect rivet heads when used with these bucking plates.

Are you up for a build party?  I'll bring beer and steaks.  A local AFRCOMMER, microsuck, helped me demill my Romy-G kit.  I have an NDS-3 receiver, AK-Builder rivet kit, and TAPCO G2 trigger group ready to go.  All the numbers match on the kit.
Link Posted: 7/8/2009 3:58:10 AM EDT
[#10]
I wouldnt mind having a few guys over to build, but with limited space in a two car garage, it doesnt take long before people are rubbing elbows and waiting on tools, the press, etc...

Could probably do something late July/ early August.

Link Posted: 7/11/2009 1:35:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Sounds like we are getting somewhere now.  We have all the essentials:

1. Beer        
2. Steaks

3. AK's

I will buy the 5.45 headspace guages.  Where can I get them?
Link Posted: 7/11/2009 3:24:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Sounds like we are getting somewhere now.  We have all the essentials:

1. Beer        
2. Steaks

3. AK's

I will buy the 5.45 headspace guages.  Where can I get them?

I just placed an order for a no-go 5.45 gauge.  Its best to have a go gauge as well, but I have blown my fun money, and was already over budget.  A no go will at least insure there isint a safety issue from excessive headspace, but like I said, its best to have both.  Especially if replacing a barrel.
I got mine from mansonreamers.com.  

Link Posted: 7/12/2009 5:13:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Ok,  I will get a go guage then.  Does anyone happen to have any extra rivets?  That is the only thing I am missing.  If not I will get some to.
Link Posted: 7/12/2009 6:14:18 PM EDT
[#14]
got one to work on myself. either need to order a receiver or find someone who can help me spot weld my rails on flat first though.
Link Posted: 7/12/2009 7:54:59 PM EDT
[#15]
I like the AK builder rivets.  They are the best fit by far, but take note that the center support and rivet are not included.  I have some bulk rivets, but they are not "correct", especially for a 74.  

I have never used a spot welder on my rails.. I just MIGem from the inside...again, far from correct, but that doesnt bother me.

I finished these today.  You can see the lack of spot weld rings if you look real close.

Link Posted: 7/12/2009 8:14:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have never used a spot welder on my rails.. I just MIGem from the inside...again, far from correct, but that doesnt bother me.

I have no issues w/ MIGging them, just lack the skill
Link Posted: 7/13/2009 11:28:18 AM EDT
[#17]
i have one that i'd like to build

i have flats & bending jig
Link Posted: 7/13/2009 4:42:07 PM EDT
[#18]
I will just buy a set of the correct rivets.  I want to do this right anyway.  My job should be relatively easy because I am not building a whole kit, just replacing a barrel and trunion.  So what weekend would be good for everyone?  How about the weekend of august 15-16, that will give everyone time to get in what we need.

By the way Cassini Im going to send you a P.M with my phone number

Link Posted: 7/13/2009 7:27:35 PM EDT
[#19]
That weekend is definatly not good for me.  The following one will work...

Post up if your interested.  Not to be an ass, but space is limited unless someone has more room.
Link Posted: 7/14/2009 4:03:59 PM EDT
[#20]
ok, the following weekend will work for me
Link Posted: 7/14/2009 4:18:00 PM EDT
[#21]
No ideas on a better location but I feel like this is kind of being thrust on Cassini. If you mind doing this then let us know and we can put things off until a better location is found. If its no big deal then I sure appreciate any help from you and your hospitality
Link Posted: 7/15/2009 3:23:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
That weekend is definatly not good for me.  The following one will work...

Post up if your interested.  Not to be an ass, but space is limited unless someone has more room.

I'm definitely in if you plan on the weekend of the 25th.  I need to get at least one of my Romy-G kits done.  I have one completely demilled with an NDS-3 receiver, AK Builder rivets, and Tapco G2 double hook trigger group ready to go.

Link Posted: 7/16/2009 6:20:23 PM EDT
[#23]
I don't mind waiting a little bit to see if we can find a bigger place if that makes it easier on cassini and everyone else.  Just let me know...
Link Posted: 7/17/2009 4:09:09 PM EDT
[#24]
I am thinking we may be better off planning toward the end of August/ early September.  This should give everyone enough time to get what they need.   If your (seriously) interested, post up what your project is.  It takes two days to build a flat into a receiver, then build the kit on the receiver...at least using my heat treat methods.  A kit can be built on a complete receiver in a day.
Link Posted: 7/17/2009 4:32:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I am thinking we may be better off planning toward the end of August/ early September.  This should give everyone enough time to get what they need.   If your (seriously) interested, post up what your project is.  It takes two days to build a flat into a receiver, then build the kit on the receiver...at least using my heat treat methods.  A kit can be built on a complete receiver in a day.

g kit build. flat already bent, need to weld rails and heat treat vitals OR pickup an NDS receiver.
Link Posted: 7/17/2009 7:44:31 PM EDT
[#26]
I build my own receivers, but it takes a full day for a newbie to finish one.  Also, my annealing method takes literally all night in the kitchen oven.  Welding the rails takes no time.  Most of the work is in the trimming of the upper rails, drilling the holes, and heat treating.
Link Posted: 7/21/2009 9:26:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Bump.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 8:03:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Im in the Ft Hood area and will travel for riveting equipment! I have an M70AB2 underfolder kit, AK-builder rivet set, G2 double hook trigger, NDS-4 receiver coming this week as well as rear trunnion should be coming in this week and one part for the underfolder in the mail on monday. Any word on a late August/early Sept build site?
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 10:41:54 PM EDT
[#29]
I'd stop by to check everyone's builds out when you guys figure out a date. I'd like to see the flat bending process in person. You seem to have it down pretty damn well Cas. I'm probably the closest person to you... what 3 blocks away? heh... The only kits I have right now not built are milled yugos... Maybe I can get something before then...
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 7:38:04 AM EDT
[#30]
I have nothing to order for this, so the exact day does not matter for me.   Now that we are in August, I guess its time to set a date for September.  If this is still gonna be at my place in McKinney, it will have to be on a Sunday, as I have stuff going on for the next several Saturday mornings.

Yall decide on what day is good.  Everything is ready on my end, just need to straighten up the garage a bit.  I am still not sure who/ how many plan to attend, which from my experiance half of those won't show...

If someone wants to bend a flat that day, I dont have a problem with it, but there isin't enough time to build a receiver, then build on that receiver in one day.  Milled rewelds are a whole 'nother story for a whole 'nother day!...I have another set of plates on order, prolly gonna go ahead and do the milled RPK with em...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top