Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/11/2009 4:30:00 PM EDT
My Marine son, who is on leave, decided to surprise me with a new grip for my DPMS M4.  However, since his MOS is Infantry and not Armorer, he can't seem to get the grip, trigger and other parts assembled correctly without a "magnetic screwdriver..  Does anyone know of someone in Austin/Pflugerville who can help me out so that we can go shooting?  He's embarrassed enough so I won't tell him I'm asking for outside help.  Please let me know.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 4:44:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm in Cedar Park and have assembled many lower receivers.  However, I'm pretty busy until Sunday.  If that's not too late, send me a PM and I'd be happy to help.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 7:24:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I live in Georgetown, and work in Pflugerville. PM me if  you need help
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 3:34:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm in pflugerville near tenth & olympic, send me an IM or email.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 3:56:27 PM EDT
[#4]
If it is anything like normal, you can get the screw in place with a few minutes of careful manipulation.
One thing to try that rarely works, but is worth a try, is to pretend it is one of those "get the stringed ball in the hoop" games. Put the screw in the grip, and strategically shake it to line the screw up.
Or, with the grip off the rifle, get the screw in, then hold it in place with the screwdriver until you can line it up with the lower.
Or get a pair of long tweezers, or needle nose pliers. Get it started that way.
I'm in Houston or I'd help you.... But if you mess around with it for a while, you'll get it on. I take my grips on and off fairly often, and I have never needed one.
Once the screw is aligned, it is a simple task to get the detent and spring back into their slot so the safety works. And, if that's too much trouble... Does anyone ever really need a safety?

PS: I just made a poor quality video to show you.... I'm uploading it now.

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 4:51:25 PM EDT
[#5]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGq5QstRNbM

Like I say in the video... Be patient with it, and it will do what you need it to do.

Link Posted: 6/18/2009 6:54:58 AM EDT
[#6]
I didn't get a chance to thank everyone for your suggestions and give an update, I've been enjoying some time with him and we had to bury my mom at Ft. Sam.  He was able to figure it out the next day and got it together.  He had been out the night before  I posted the request celebrating his unit's return from "The Stan" with friends in Pflugerville, so I it's understandable he wasn't up to par yet.  

Thanks again very much to everyone and SEMPER FI!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top