Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 3/6/2009 11:53:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: hondaciv]
I was just thinking that we can have a thread for TXHTF offering free services to other people around here.  I believe in helping people, and I enjoy helping people.  So, I offer this:

I have a pickup.  Will help haul stuff.
I have a ventrillo server (geeks know what this is) you can use for free.
I have free web hosting.
I have every power tool under the sun you can borrow.
I have all the AR-15 tools for barrel removal, handguard removal, action blocks, and punches.

I am in Dallas.
Link Posted: 3/6/2009 12:30:55 PM EDT
[#1]
This is a great idea and really nice of you.

I live in SW Austin although I don't really have much to offer..

I'm an expert in my field (Network Security) and can offer guidance or consultant advice if that counts for anything.

I do have some tools like a table saw, power air tools, etc.. I'm also pretty good with mobile electronics.
Link Posted: 3/6/2009 12:46:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/6/2009 1:11:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Good idea
Link Posted: 3/6/2009 1:16:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By mojo:

We can add in the 'Veteran..../pay it foward ......'  thread.  
 Hondaciv....You can change your thread to something like....."Free services.....Texas HTF"

What you guys think?

Yes, I was thinking something along of the "pay it forward" thread, but service based.  I don't have a lot of stuff to give away, but I'm sure collectively, we can have a list of stuff people are willing to loan or services rendered to others.

A thread a week or so got me thinking of this, actually.  Someone who needed to borrow some AR tools.  When times are tough like now, it would be really cool for us to offer up what we can do for others.  Especially if it means saving someone a few bucks that they don't have.
Link Posted: 3/6/2009 1:41:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I love you already...from Houston.

Originally Posted By hondaciv:

I was just thinking that we can have a thread for TXHTF offering free services to other people around here.  I believe in helping people, and I enjoy helping people.  So, I offer this:

I have free web hosting.

I have all the AR-15 tools for barrel removal, handguard removal, action blocks, and punches.

I am in Dallas.

Link Posted: 3/6/2009 2:07:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Andrewh] [#6]
Sure why not, could use a little good karma.
If you need some sort of vehicle maintenece or repair help, you can let me know. I am in Allen. I can walk you through some of it over the phone, or if you can drive it to me, I have all the tools to do most stuff in my drive way.
Won't do it necessarily, the whole teach a man to fish thing, but won't let you break anything either.

Don't have a lift or a cherry picker, but can help with brakes, oil and filter changes for engine and transmission, some timing belts and chains, water pumps, cv replacement, front suspension work, belts, hoses, etc..
If I don't know how, or can't find out, I will let you know upfront, but I have access to all data and a few other resources.

Forgot, I can also do computer work as well. Build a new one, install software, trouble shoot. That I prefer not to do over the phone. Just too many things to ask.
Link Posted: 3/6/2009 3:30:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jestertoo] [#7]
Basic AR work in Austin. I have blocks/wrenches/punches.

I've done a saiga conversion. You're on your own to weld it tho :)

I also have a mig welder/plasma torch/lathe if you know what you are doing. I'm dangerous.
Link Posted: 3/6/2009 4:03:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Let's see:

I got a range, so I could help you dial in a rifle.

I got a Dillon so I could teach you to reload.

I am a homebrewer, so I could teach you to make your own.

I'm a pretty good carpenter and I can lay laminate flooring.

I'm between Houston and Beaumont
Have guns will travel.
Link Posted: 3/6/2009 4:09:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Damn there needs to be more people in San Antonio.
Link Posted: 3/6/2009 4:23:02 PM EDT
[#10]
AR work
assemble upper/lower
intsall free float rail
repair broken trigger guard ear
etc.....

I've done one Saiga conversion and can assist with that. (lots of cursing involved though)

Can help with glock grip reductions and stippling

I'm in W. Fort Worth.

I can take any ammo or guns that you dont want off your hands too
Link Posted: 3/6/2009 4:42:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Dayton/Liberty area

Can help set up reloading press/walk you through it
Have welder/plasma cutter for stuff that needs to be stuck together (or unstuck )
Basic gunsmithing (ARs, AKs, 1911, Glocks, GSGs, win 97s, etc.)
Motorcycle maintenance
Have a lathe, (still learning)
have a small trailer if needed
will be happy to help you git rid of extra beer or ammo.
Strong back, weak mind (but manual labor will cost ya)

Joat
Link Posted: 3/6/2009 4:50:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Greater Plano area

BASIC car stuff
Have repaired simple stuff on washers.dryers,microwaves
hang ceiling fans, lights,
I have built one shower and can walk you through the basics of buliding a mud pan and tiling.
have a 110 welder and can weld just okay. I won't weld on your car or motercycle!
have access to 15 acres of good Ash for firewood.
can put in plumbing fixtures but don't like it.

Link Posted: 3/6/2009 5:30:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Woodlands area ( north houston )

Have all the measuring tools you could want.
Full machine shop, on a case by case basis ( boss has to approve)
110 wire feed welder.
lots of woodworking tools.
lots of  experience building guitars, and mandolins from scratch. (and playing them)
can hang, tape, and float drywall.
can definately help drink your beer.

I think this is a great idea. Texas hospitality.
Link Posted: 3/6/2009 6:02:14 PM EDT
[#14]
have liver will metabolize alcohol
Link Posted: 3/6/2009 7:17:29 PM EDT
[#15]
I've been in the mortage business for over 4 years and know quite a bit about consumer financing and credit reports.

If anyone needs advice, let me know.

Side note:  I will not offer to do loans or recommend you to a particular lender –– I will just give you advice and my educated opinion on options you may have.  I'm not looking to make money off of anyone.
Link Posted: 3/6/2009 7:40:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By hondaciv:

I have free web hosting.

I am in Dallas.

Dang, wish i would have read this yesterday.  Just had barrel and larue rail swapped out at DFW guns today.
Link Posted: 3/6/2009 8:05:07 PM EDT
[#17]
I said we needed a trade or barter forum.
This is great.
Link Posted: 3/6/2009 8:38:59 PM EDT
[#18]
I have lots of cow poop. Free.

Canton
Link Posted: 3/6/2009 9:28:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/6/2009 9:31:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/6/2009 11:11:41 PM EDT
[#21]
I think if we do this, we need to split it into regions.
Link Posted: 3/6/2009 11:16:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Drewcoolness] [#22]
Originally Posted By Andrewh:
Sure why not, could use a little good karma.
If you need some sort of vehicle maintenece or repair help, you can let me know. I am in Allen. I can walk you through some of it over the phone, or if you can drive it to me, I have all the tools to do most stuff in my drive way.
Won't do it necessarily, the whole teach a man to fish thing, but won't let you break anything either.

Don't have a lift or a cherry picker, but can help with brakes, oil and filter changes for engine and transmission, some timing belts and chains, water pumps, cv replacement, front suspension work, belts, hoses, etc..
If I don't know how, or can't find out, I will let you know upfront, but I have access to all data and a few other resources.

Forgot, I can also do computer work as well. Build a new one, install software, trouble shoot. That I prefer not to do over the phone. Just too many things to ask.

same here. I'm 20 minutes from plano, 15 minutes from McKinney and 30 minutes form Wylie. I have the cherry picker.IF it's cars I can help and I know more about brakes then any man should know.
Link Posted: 3/6/2009 11:49:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By tgsnellg75:
I have lots of cow poop. Free.

Canton

Do you deliver?
Link Posted: 3/6/2009 11:59:03 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm in Houston (usually, on field assignment for a few months) and have built Armalite AR-10's and DPMS LR-308's from 100% parts.  I have all the necessary tools to assemble an upper and lower 308 rifle if needed.

Link Posted: 3/7/2009 12:30:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HBruns] [#25]
Great idea!

I have a P-up truck - can do basic hauling
Teach reloading
basic auto/cycle maint.

I live in NW Austin.
Link Posted: 3/9/2009 1:05:18 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm in the DFW area (Newark).

-I have a p/u can do basic hauling.

-Have a 5 x 8 trailer with a fold down 5' ramp. You can borrow.

-Just bought a mig welder and oxy acetylene set-up. I'm not very good with it but can either cut or weld something for you (or you can do it yourself, just come on over).

-Have pretty much all the tools needed to assemble AR's. Can loan or help you if needed.

-My house sits on a 3/4 acre. Not a huge place, but if you need someplace to store something for a little while, I can do that.

-Have a friDge full of beer on the back patio, if you get thirsty.......

Gene
Link Posted: 3/9/2009 1:11:36 AM EDT
[#27]

Hondaciv....You can change your thread to something like....."Free services.....Texas HTF"

What you guys think?

I think you guys are 600 miles from me at the very least.

Link Posted: 3/9/2009 2:19:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By dragongoddess:

What you guys think?

I think you guys are 600 miles from me at the very least.

Where is MP?
Link Posted: 3/9/2009 2:40:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Delta] [#29]
I am in The Colony, Lewisville, Frisco-Plano area

I am a licensed (Master) electrician, I can either walk you through the problem or try to come and fix it.
I would be willing to help all ARFCOM members here in the area.

Also have a complete set of sight tools for glocks, rear pusher and a front sight tool

Bill
Link Posted: 3/9/2009 9:37:21 AM EDT
[#30]
In North Dallas

Have basic AR tools to do a stripped lower, action block and wrench for free float, punches for FSB
Can sharpen a knife as long as you want a convex edge - I use a belt sander. I will warn you, I'm still early in the process, so don't ask me to go after a $400 custom

Pic of handiwork - you decide

Link Posted: 3/9/2009 11:06:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Well, let's see I can drink beer and cause many interesting scenes if needed.

Located in DFW
Link Posted: 5/4/2009 2:28:04 AM EDT
[#32]
I'm in San Antone...I'm a broken down old Soldier, but I am pretty handy with general house repairs (don't do electrical work, electricity and I have an understanding, I leave it the hell alone, and it doesn't fuck with me)...I have a full-size p/u, so I can help haul furniture or w/e...Uhm...I was with a RSTA unit for a while, so if you want to stalk the hot neighbor next door or an ex, I can help you out (j/k of course)...I know my way around ARs if you need help assembling one or adding accessories, etc....I can help get your reloading gear setup...Help you build a NOD setup....and most importantly, I can drink all the beer you need to dispose of
Link Posted: 5/4/2009 11:43:17 AM EDT
[#33]
Don't really have a lot of stuff, but I do have some knowledge in a couple of areas.

If you've got an aquarium, any kind, I can help you set it up, maintain, advise, etc.

I've got a knack for finding guns for people, its what I do for a living. You need something you can't find anywhere, hit me up. I try to hook people up on the pricing if I can, but I'm stuck abiding by the rules here at work.

Live in Kyle, work in Buda.
Link Posted: 5/4/2009 12:57:42 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm in the Texarkana area and have action blocks, barrel wrench, drill press, etc. for someone needing tools for a build.
Link Posted: 5/4/2009 2:16:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: atxjax] [#35]
Austin / Pflugerville area here. I have some power tools, drills, swazall, circular / table saw. Do light automotive work, brakes, belts and that kinda stuff.

Good with laptops and desktops. I wheel and deal in memory and hard drives. Can install O/S for you, XP SP3 and Vista 64 Ultimate edition.

Can duplicate hard drives so you can have a backup.
Looking for some mesquite wood if anyone has any to give away or needs some chopped down from their land.

Link Posted: 5/4/2009 4:00:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Still fairly new around here, SW Houston (Richmond).
I can install free float rails,  front sight base, gas tubes and buffer tubes as long as tools are provided. (granted any one with the tools probably knows how to do it any way. )
I can remove/install a slide release and firing pin in Glocks.
If you have a problem with being the drunk guy that everyone laughs at and messes with, I can take your place for a night, as long as beer is provided.
I can provide cover fire in case zombies take over.
If you are having a bad day I can cheer you up with the story of my worst day...You won't believe me any way but still you WILL laugh. Or just grab a 12 pack and come over and shoot the shit.
More a less the King of nothing but Jack of all kinda guy

All that being said, does anyone have any experience with hand held scanners and 2 ways? Lookin to get some but I don't know my ass from a hole in the wall about them.
Link Posted: 5/4/2009 5:19:40 PM EDT
[#37]
I fiddle around with a bunch of crap, but don't claim to be an expert on any of it. Got a welder, oxy acetylene rig, metal cutting band saw, air compressor, air tools, need a new drill press, got a scroll saw a few months ago. Make some cool metal yard art. I have a Stihl chainsaw, but you can't borrow it. Do some reloading, do some garndening, actually I'm in the wholesale plant business right now, so I'm sort of a quasi-expert on plants. Spent 5 years as a technical writer. Spent 5 years working for uncle Sam, got hurt, and got ignored, so never again. I consider my debt to society paid in full.

Do a lot of my own stuff, work on the car, fix stuff around the house, fix my computers, rewire the house, put in illegal yard sprinklers. I built all the wrought iron fencing at my house in Dallas by myself, (ever try to hang a 200lb 6ft x 12 ft gate by yourself? That was before I was hurt.) I've tinkered with knife sharpening, use a belt sander to fix up the edge, then use paper wheels to polish them out to a razor. I've got a cheap water wheel that I use on gardening scissors, not ready to try barber scissors. I started making a knife from a bastard file, but haven't finished the handle yet. My wife is pregnant with our second child, so she would gladly rent me out for stud service right now. I hunt. I fish. I sit on my ass and watch old movies. I also cook, bake, and wash clothes. I refuse to do the dishes, that's woman's work.

Oh, and just to be eccentric, I bought a set of clippers and just started cutting my own hair.

None of that stuff is free, but if you ask for advice, I can send some your way.
Link Posted: 5/4/2009 7:35:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Well im in Conroe:

-I run a retail store here (very well known brand, IM me for more details) and will gladly give my discount (30%) to any ARFcomer who wants it. This will save you a lot of $$$ when it comes time for school shopping for the kids, if you have them, or yourself. even if you just need one pair of jeans or whatever.
-have tons of movies to lend
-am a good shooting buddy
-have basic mechanic knowledge and can replace most regular maintenance parts
-can BBQ and drink beer with the best of 'em

Link Posted: 5/4/2009 10:04:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Rockwall here:
can build lowers and have the tools, and have the heart of a teacher. So I will 'teach' you how to do it.
can fix computers, but requires lots of Rum.
can spend your money at gun shows for you.
Very good at talking shit, shooting breeze, hunting snipe.

So basically, im pretty useless, but I love to help.

Happy_Gopher

Link Posted: 5/13/2009 9:45:15 AM EDT
[#40]
I'm in Dallas.
I can move heavy object because I'm fat.
I have a truck.
I am unemployed, so I have "free" time.
Link Posted: 5/13/2009 10:42:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Erik_O] [#41]
Pflugerville here.

If you've got an iPhone/iPod Touch and an idea for an app, I'll look into writing it for you.

If you IM/Email me, I'll send you a free promotional code for my existing apps until they run out.  The only catch is I'd like you to leave me a good review in the App Store, or if it's not good at least tell me so I can address your concerns before you ding me

I've got a nice Glock rear sight pusher that I will gladly loan should you wish to install your own rear sights
.  I understand it will work on pistols other than Glocks as well.

Dad "borrowed" my sight pusher, not sure when he'll give it back.

Link Posted: 5/13/2009 11:19:47 AM EDT
[#42]
DFW/Allen area.

Network Engineer by day

CHL Instructor, I try to answer the CHL related threads

Notary, If you're in my area drop me an IM.  No need to pay for notary stuff.

Summer Garden is in high gear.  I should have plenty of hot peppers, tomatos and cucumbers for trade later this summer.

Familiar with special needs folks.  Previous work experience with Mental Health / Mental Retardation.  Adult step-son with mixed MH/MR.  Always looking to network in that area.
Link Posted: 5/13/2009 12:08:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: timpryor] [#43]
San Antonio

I'm a good shooting buddy

I can also give some limited advice on webpages/SQL server

I've got a jeep grand Cherokee I can help move some stuff if you need it like TV's and such sized items but nothing huge.
Link Posted: 5/13/2009 12:16:15 PM EDT
[#44]

Originally Posted By 338winmag:

Let's see:

I got a range, so I could help you dial in a rifle.

I got a Dillon so I could teach you to reload.

I am a homebrewer, so I could teach you to make your own.

I'm a pretty good carpenter and I can lay laminate flooring.

I'm between Houston and Beaumont

Have guns will travel.
Those are very valuable skill-sets.  Next time I'm out that way, I may just look you up.

It's a bit too far for you to travel to me.

Link Posted: 5/13/2009 12:17:30 PM EDT
[#45]

Originally Posted By TexRdnec:

have liver will metabolize alcohol
Will see you sometime in June or July.

Link Posted: 5/13/2009 2:50:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Lubbock area.

Pretty worthless in general, but I'm a hound dog about any research you may need done. (this isn't just for the local folks; I've done research for people all over the state, as well as several out-of-state)

I am also one hell of a copy-editor, if you need something checked for spelling/grammar/etc. (also not just for the locals)

If you are going to Tech –– or have a son/daughter/friend/relative who is or will be –– I can answer pretty much any question you may have about "the way things work around here."

I also have a truck and can help with moving tasks. (locals only)
Link Posted: 5/13/2009 4:19:38 PM EDT
[#47]
I have Photoshop CS2.... I am OK at using it.

I can edit your Christmas photos... or other photos.

Whiten teeth, add contrast, etc.

Last year, I copied by brother's eye and pasted it over his other eye that had glare from his glasses over it. Blended it in. Looks great now.

Whitened our teeth.

Gave the Christmas lights a nice, gentle glow.
Link Posted: 5/13/2009 4:34:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wise_jake] [#48]
Oh, yeah... if you have nudie pics of your wife or girlfriend that you'd like to post in the BOTD, I can make them COC-compliant for you.  

Link Posted: 5/13/2009 6:48:45 PM EDT
[#49]
im in san antonio
i dont have much but my job field is restaurant equipment repair so if you have comercial grade equipment
Thats all i can do but hope it helps
barry
Link Posted: 5/13/2009 7:30:58 PM EDT
[#50]
I'm in downtown Ft Worth.

A computer geek since before computers were cool and since a 300 baud modem was fast. Many years of control systems experience - hardware, software, communications.  Know lots about system optimization, a little about very large and extremely large databases.  ODBC connectivity.  Old stuff like netDDE, serial drivers,and the like....all pretty much stuff that no one needs at home ]

Computer repair/degunking/cleanup is a possibility, but it requires a fair amount of Jack Daniels.  

I've got a Chrony available for short-term loan (you shoot it, you buy me a new one )

I've got big burner with a turkey frying pot and a crawfish boiling pot.  I'm also available to do the cooking, but I sample a lot.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top