Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/4/2009 11:46:53 AM EDT
I'm making plans to go tent camping at Palo Duro State Park, or  Caprock Canyon state park in two weeks.  

If you've visited these parks, I'd like to hear about it.
Specifically, I'd like to know what you didn't  like about them. (If anything at all)

Is there a different state park that I should consider camping at?
My idea of camping is: "the more secluded / rugged / spacious, the better" (if that helps you suggest a different camping area)

Thanks Texas HTF

ETA: I'm leaning towards Palo Duro after taking a closer look at it.
ETA: More info below.
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 12:35:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I've been there. If you want to primitive camp, there are sites for that, as well as sites with hookups for more civilized trailers and motorhomes. You won't be very isolated, unless there are not many foks there. Rugged areas for hiking if you so desire. The little town of Quitique didn't have much to offer last time I was there, but it's been at least 15 years I'd guess.

Buffalo, deer, desert landscape. AS warm as it's been the reptiles might be getting active. I doubt you'll be able to enjoy a campfire as we have been very dry lately.

I need to get back there.

Oh, as to what I didn't like: I was there in the summer and it was hot as hell. Dusty, will be moreso if the wind is a blowin'.
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 12:40:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I visited it about 15 years ago. To me it was a smaller version of Palo Duro. I didn't camp overnight but it was pretty empty. It is out in BFE so they don't get much Interstate traffic. I remember reading about some kind of Rails to Trails project that goes near there. That was not there when I was.

Hopefully, they didn't install any video games/donkey rides/water parks in the last 10 years.

Gringop
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 12:46:56 PM EDT
[#3]
It's been a LONG time since i was there.

But i remember enjoying it.  Course, i was the son at Indian Guides, so that may have colored my perceptions a bit.
Have you considered Palo Duro?  Are you just traveling through or ... ?

What kinds of outdoor things do you like to do?
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 2:24:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/5/2009 12:25:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
But i remember enjoying it.  Course, i was the son at Indian Guides, so that may have colored my perceptions a bit.

I'm actually visiting Texas during my spring break specifically to go camping. (College road trip, FTW!)
I gotta get away from the cold dreary weather of Wisconsin.

Google Earth has this nifty feature where you can turn on the terrain option and tilt the map to get a 3D satellite overlay / topographic map that lets you pan, rotate, and zoom. The canyons of Palo Duro look especially neat with this feature.

I'm thinking that Palo Duro has more of what I'm looking for: Hiking, photography, campfires (looks like there will be a burn ban), watching wildlife, outdoor cooking, relaxing...

I initially wrote Palo Duro off because it looked like it catered to the RV / motorhome crowd.
After taking a closer look, I think that is a non-issue.

Link Posted: 3/5/2009 4:38:38 AM EDT
[#6]
I do Caprock almost every year.  Bring hiking gear, AWESOME trails.  Dont bother fishing.  I have never even gotten so much as a nibble there.
Link Posted: 3/5/2009 11:48:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Went to Palo Duro when I was about 17 years old to go mountain biking. That was one of the funniest vacations I have ever been on.
Lots of trails to hike or bike on. The Light house is cool to see.
If you go make sure you hit the natural history museum in Canyon Texas. For a small museum that place is awesome.
They found a Mammoth skeleton when they dug the basement and it has a lot of fossils from the area.
Try to get one of the museum volunteers to take you for a tour.
Link Posted: 3/5/2009 3:41:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm actually visiting Texas during my spring break specifically to go camping. (College road trip, FTW!)
I gotta get away from the cold dreary weather of Wisconsin.

Google Earth has this nifty feature where you can turn on the terrain option and tilt the map to get a 3D satellite overlay / topographic map that lets you pan, rotate, and zoom. The canyons of Palo Duro look especially neat with this feature.

I'm thinking that Palo Duro has more of what I'm looking for: Hiking, photography, campfires (looks like there will be a burn ban), watching wildlife, outdoor cooking, relaxing...

I initially wrote Palo Duro off because it looked like it catered to the RV / motorhome crowd.
After taking a closer look, I think that is a non-issue.

I live in Amarillo and go mnt biking during the spring and fall down in PDC (its gets REALLY hot in the summer).  I have also been backpacking at Caprock Canyons.  If you want seclusion, go with Caprock canyons, that place is usually pretty slow.   As for the burn ban, you are correct, unless we get a lot of rain soon wildfires are gonna be bad.  For photography you cant go wrong with either place, but PDC is more scenic and will probably be better for you.  As mentioned above, the lighthouse at PDC is really cool and worth the hike to, its what is photographed the most in the canyon.
Link Posted: 3/5/2009 4:53:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Palo duro canyon for sure, it's much better. Cap rock is pretty cool but not as big as PD canyon. I've never camped there but have been many times, I was born in amarillo which is about 30 miles or so away, I don't live ther anymore...thank goodness, Amarillo has turned into a shit hole.
Link Posted: 3/5/2009 6:46:37 PM EDT
[#10]
If you go to Palo Duro, be sure to take something to feed the semi-wild turkeys. They've been fed by people so much they will walk right up to you looking for a handout.  Enjoy your visit to Texas!

GM15
Link Posted: 3/5/2009 8:16:45 PM EDT
[#11]
According to the state park's webiste: Regulations  75% down the page.

(f) Arms and Firearms.
It is an offense to:
1. possess a firearm with a cartridge or projectile in any portion of the mechanism
, except when authorized by the commission or the director;
2. display a firearm, except when authorized by the director; and
3. discharge across, in, or into a state park any arm, firearm, or device capable of injuring or killing any person or animal or damaging or destroying public or private property except when authorized by the director.

I interpret the red text to mean that loaded firearms in the park is a no-no, but an unloaded, cased firearm (pistol in a case with a loaded mag next to it) would be fine.  Is this correct?

Link Posted: 3/6/2009 3:14:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Palo Duro should do it for ya. You could do a few days at each.
Watch out for Badgers
Link Posted: 3/6/2009 5:55:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

(f) Arms and Firearms.
It is an offense to:
1. possess a firearm with a cartridge or projectile in any portion of the mechanism
3. discharge across, in, or into a state park any arm, firearm, or device capable of injuring or killing any person or animal or damaging or destroying public or private property except when authorized by the director.

I interpret the red text to mean that loaded firearms in the park is a no-no, but an unloaded, cased firearm (pistol in a case with a loaded mag next to it) would be fine.  Is this correct?

CHL in Texas State Parks is A-OK

Link Posted: 3/6/2009 7:38:23 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

(f) Arms and Firearms.

It is an offense to:

You are correct.  It's an obtuse way of saying the gun must be EMTPY.  No rounds in the magazine, or chamber.

Link Posted: 3/7/2009 7:19:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Palo Duro is a pretty cool place to 4 wheel, we went there a few years back with Jeep Jamboree. We ended up breaking our rear DANA 44 showing off, but still had a good time.
Link Posted: 3/7/2009 12:01:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/8/2009 10:35:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

(f) Arms and Firearms.
It is an offense to:

CHL in Texas State Parks is A-OK

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y266/RKirby3/texas_phpYS16Bw_texas_parks_letter.gif

Thanks for the info.
That's one of my major gripes about Wisconsin: No CHL.  
Link Posted: 3/8/2009 10:54:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I've camped there. Took some great lightning shots.
But now I would say go to Palo Duro instead.
It's bigger.

I can't wait. I'm definitely buying a tripod before I go so I can take some night photos!  
Link Posted: 3/8/2009 11:19:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've camped there. Took some great lightning shots.
But now I would say go to Palo Duro instead.
It's bigger.

I can't wait. I'm definitely buying a tripod before I go so I can take some night photos!  
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd134/edmhunter/PaloDuro.jpg

That Google Earth pic doesn't look 3D enough. You'll see.

I've got a broken ankle right now, but let me know if ya need anything when you're here. I MIGHT be able to help in some small way.

Link Posted: 3/9/2009 3:48:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Not to derail the topic of Palo Duro, but when you guys get done there, head down to Seminole Canyon State Park.  Exceptionally beautiful and the shelter paintings are worth the trip all on their own.  The only downside is that they have a single hiking trail that goes to the rim of Seminole Canyon and the Rio Grande.  Its a 6 mile round trip on basically a dirt road, but its still a great hike with plenty to see.
Link Posted: 3/12/2009 12:27:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Well, Palo Duro it is.  I'll probably take a day-trip to Caprock Canyons for some mountain biking and hiking.
I'll post a few pics once I return.
The weather forecast is predicting a very enjoyable week.

Thanks for all your input! I appreciate it

Link Posted: 3/13/2009 6:30:54 AM EDT
[#22]
You won't regret it. I'm looking forward to the pictures.
Link Posted: 3/18/2009 8:48:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Spent a day or so in Caprock Canyons.  Crowded, but a good time still.  

Caprock Canyon State Park March 2009:

Link Posted: 3/18/2009 10:27:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Awesome pics!  Thanks for the new desktop backgrounds.  
Link Posted: 3/21/2009 10:45:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Palo Duro was great. The weather was amazing!  Lots of great hiking opportunities and some very scenic views. Here are a few of my favorite photos from the trip.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 2:36:37 PM EDT
[#26]
and a few more from Caprock Canyons:

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 3:20:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top