Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/11/2008 6:29:50 AM EDT
Yep. just got laid off today....
Are any arfcomers in San Antonio hiring? Will provide resume upon request.
I am foing to get drunk now...
Link Posted: 11/11/2008 7:01:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Not the end of the world.  I've been there though and it can feel like it.  Keep busy.  Looking for a job is a full time job with overtime.  Some of these may not apply to you.

File for unemployment right away.
Post your resume on Monster.com and other job sights.
Call any debtors and let them know now what's going on.  
Talk to friends and family and have them work for you looking.  
Practice interviewing with a friend or someone you can trust in a management position who hires for their company.  If you don't know one of those download some interview questions off the internet and practice.
Practice your handshake.  Firm and look a person in the eyes.  Smile.
Find the next date for a carrier fair or industry trade show.
Join Facebook and other social sights and find old coworker\friends who might help.  
Go to companies and find their hiring manager then submit a resume, many jobs aren't posted or a manager can open a rec for you.
No joke I actually whitened my teeth and lightened my hair.
Don't sulk in your home.  Go for walks, to the library, read a good book or magazine at a book store, work off extra lbs.  Love your wife she's going through this also.
Link Posted: 11/11/2008 7:19:15 AM EDT
[#2]
what kind of work are you looking for?
Link Posted: 11/11/2008 7:21:20 AM EDT
[#3]
That sucks man; I'm really sorry. The job market is horrible right now. We are hiring overqualified people coming from Dell and universities to make a fraction of what they made before or thought they could earn. You could always go work for IBC!
Link Posted: 11/11/2008 7:26:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Yep. just got laid off today....
Are any arfcomers in San Antonio hiring? Will provide resume upon request.
I am foing to get drunk now...

Sorry to hear that.  Don't feel too bad, what happened to you is happening to a lot of people right now.

Might help if you post what kind of work you do...

Link Posted: 11/11/2008 7:31:20 AM EDT
[#5]
My kid is co-op working in Texas, I really wonder if he'll have a job next work term.
Link Posted: 11/11/2008 9:32:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Was a contractor for AT&T/Dish- Installation Tech. Thanks for the help guys.
Link Posted: 11/11/2008 9:40:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

As a dish/at&t contractor, I am most qualified for installing/wiring, but I am willing to take anything.
Link Posted: 11/11/2008 11:50:28 AM EDT
[#8]
the oilfield is always needing hands on rigs and service companies. im in HSE at an oilfield service co and i always see a need for them. where do you live?
Link Posted: 11/11/2008 12:26:13 PM EDT
[#9]
critical,

I'm also in SA and I work for XYZ electric company - been there 10 yrs.  You've probably heard our name.

IM to you.
Link Posted: 11/11/2008 12:34:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Here:

http://religionblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2008/11/baptist-pastor-says-more-sex.html

Tell your wife God said she has to!

Link Posted: 11/11/2008 12:51:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Our Telemarketing firm is hiring but I'm pretty sure you don't wanna work here but should worse come to worse.
Link Posted: 11/11/2008 3:05:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks again guys.
Link Posted: 11/11/2008 3:11:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Good luck.
Link Posted: 11/11/2008 3:19:00 PM EDT
[#14]
You could look into the field of Corrections.  With BHO in office, I'm sure that the Corrections profession will be booming.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 11/11/2008 3:36:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Look on Craigslist.com , they have are updated daily, as well as lists for individual jobs that last a day or so. This way you can make money while you look for a new job.
Link Posted: 11/11/2008 3:50:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Just got a new job after SECOND layoff in two years.

Unemplyment is your friend.

If you lived in DFW I should be able hook you up if you have 480 VAC experiance?
On average it take one month per 10K/year to find a new job.
It took me 3 months to get 16.3/hr
But I am temp to perm and hope for a better raise, I am not holding my breath in todays economy.

Link Posted: 11/11/2008 4:11:05 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

...480 VAC experiance?

That's kind of a broad question, so I'm not sure of your experience.

But here in SA, we have a boatload of commercial electrical work.

Link Posted: 11/11/2008 4:18:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Look on Craigslist.com , they have are updated daily, as well as lists for individual jobs that last a day or so. This way you can make money while you look for a new job.

Yeah, I have replied to every contractor on there. Actually got a call back today so we'll see how that pans out.
Link Posted: 11/11/2008 4:26:32 PM EDT
[#19]
I don't know how much Telco you know, but I have a buddy at Texstar Enterprises and he's been bugging me to send anyone I know over there for cable puller type work.

Here's their website:
http://www.texstarenterprises.com/index.htm

They do alot of other things, like CATV, Fiber and Highcount copper splicing.

Link Posted: 11/11/2008 4:31:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I don't know how much Telco you know, but I have a buddy at Texstar Enterprises and he's been bugging me to send anyone I know over there for cable puller type work.

Here's their website:
http://www.texstarenterprises.com/index.htm

They do alot of other things, like CATV, Fiber and Highcount copper splicing.

Thanks bro, i'll hit em up.
Link Posted: 11/11/2008 4:32:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Not the end of the world.  I've been there though and it can feel like it.  Keep busy.  Looking for a job is a full time job with overtime.  Some of these may not apply to you.

Practice interviewing with a friend or someone you can trust in a management position who hires for their company.  If you don't know one of those download some interview questions off the internet and practice.
Join Facebook and other social sights and find old coworker\friends who might help.  
Go to companies and find their hiring manager then submit a resume, many jobs aren't posted or a manager can open a rec for you.
Don't sulk in your home.  Go for walks, to the library, read a good book or magazine at a book store, work off extra lbs.  Love your wife she's going through this also.

This is one freakin awesome post!

As an independent contractor, I'm constantly "looking" plus my wife was laid off recently. Thanks for such a great contribution to this website.
Link Posted: 11/11/2008 4:36:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Our office got notice that we were closing. 15 Claims adjusters all scrambling for the same handful of jobs here in San Antonio....
Link Posted: 11/11/2008 4:39:27 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Well I'll be.

How's it going?

Link Posted: 11/11/2008 4:51:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

As an independent contractor, I'm constantly "looking" plus my wife was laid off recently. Thanks for such a great contribution to this website.

Yes, this was one very helpful post, I applied for unemployment not 10 seconds afterwards (kinda left a bad taste in my mouth, I have always been employed since I was 15 years old) I really appreciate all the help I have been getting from you guys. I have received about 10 IM's today. The comradery is amazing.
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 11:17:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Go run MWD in the oilfield...
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 2:52:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well I'll be.

How's it going?

lol... I was wondering if anyone would remember me. Some of the DFW guys IM me now and then to see if I'm still alive. My old boss started up a company and I work for him now. Work has been off and on, and we just moved to place off of Lookout Road. I still try to make it to shoots every now and then, but usually can't. Haven't seen any local shoots pop up, other than Iron Mike stuff.

Anyone please send me an IM is there's a shoot in San Antonio!!!!!
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 3:05:23 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I'm going to Mike's IDPA match on Sat.

Link Posted: 11/13/2008 3:59:34 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm doing the unemployment shit right now... loving it too. <3 the Welfare system... never used it before. Shit for 400$ a week  I think I'll kick back and beat off for a couple of months.
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 9:11:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Job search is going ok.  I am testing for Border Patrol on Dec. 1st.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 6:27:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Well, I just got the ax this morning as well.  Time to start looking again.

Haven't had to look for a job in over 8  years.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 8:16:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I'm doing the unemployment shit right now... loving it too. <3 the Welfare system... never used it before. Shit for 400$ a week  I think I'll kick back and beat off for a couple of months.

$400 a week wouldn't even pay my mortgage...
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 10:19:25 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Well, I just got the ax this morning as well.  Time to start looking again.

Haven't had to look for a job in over 8  years.

Sorry to hear that... I know it really sucks. I have never been laid off before. Two of my friends recently tasted the "ax" as well. I guess thats just the bad economy trend thats going around. Good luck on your job search.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 3:27:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, this was one very helpful post, I applied for unemployment not 10 seconds afterwards (kinda left a bad taste in my mouth, I have always been employed since I was 15 years old) I really appreciate all the help I have been getting from you guys. I have received about 10 IM's today. The comradery is amazing.

Dont EVER feel bad filing for unemployment.  YOU and your employer PAID for this.  This isnt welfare, or any social redistribution.  This is YOUR and your past employers money, and you should be thankful that you are going to get some of it back.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 3:28:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well I'll be.

How's it going?

lol... I was wondering if anyone would remember me. Some of the DFW guys IM me now and then to see if I'm still alive. My old boss started up a company and I work for him now. Work has been off and on, and we just moved to place off of Lookout Road. I still try to make it to shoots every now and then, but usually can't. Haven't seen any local shoots pop up, other than Iron Mike stuff.

Link Posted: 11/17/2008 3:31:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is why I bought a cheap house, and paid as much down as I could.  $400 a week will pay my mortgage, and electric.  My savings will cover the rest, for up to 12 months.

If I cant find a job after 12 months... we all got problems.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 3:56:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Job search is going ok.  I am testing for Border Patrol on Dec. 1st.

Good luck, my friend.  We need all the help we can get.  If you get in, you get to carry an Colt M4.

ETA: Try and keep your finances in order.  Bad credit is frowned upon by the background investigators.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 8:26:36 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I'm doing the unemployment shit right now... loving it too. <3 the Welfare system... never used it before. Shit for 400$ a week I think I'll kick back and beat off for a couple of months.
This is my new favorite post...LOL. I like the way this guy thinks.  Seriously, the poster that mentioned not feeling bad for collecting unemployeement is right. It isn't welfare. It is insurance and payed for by your employeer. Collect it with a smile on your face. I sure as heck wouldn't feel bad about collecting a check from my car insurance company. Unemployeement insurance is no different.

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 8:19:48 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is why I bought a cheap house, and paid as much down as I could.  $400 a week will pay my mortgage, and electric.  My savings will cover the rest, for up to 12 months.

I did buy a cheap house (well, at least below the average sale price in the Austin metro) and put as much down as I could and I still have a > $1500/mo mortgage payment.  Houses in the Austin area are expensive and property tax and homeowners insurance are high too...

After going through getting laid off from my .com job during the last crash and having to take a much lower paying job (< $20k/yr less) my savings pretty much got wiped out...  and then my first wife got cancer and passed away leaving me with huge debts from un-reimbursed medical bills, etc. (no, health insurance does NOT pay for everything).  Now about the time that I'm close to getting myself dug out of all of that hole my current employer is going through yet another merger with corresponding layoffs and off-shoring, etc., so I'm likely to get laid off again soon...  And of course we are in another crash, so few decent job opportunities again.  Happy, happy, joy, joy.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 12:19:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Since I got it Friday, with last day being 12/12..

I listed myself on craigslist for my real job and AR15/AR10 gunsmithing

figured some cash would go good right now.....
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 1:38:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did buy a cheap house (well, at least below the average sale price in the Austin metro) and put as much down as I could and I still have a > $1500/mo mortgage payment.  Houses in the Austin area are expensive and property tax and homeowners insurance are high too...

After going through getting laid off from my .com job during the last crash and having to take a much lower paying job (< $20k/yr less) my savings pretty much got wiped out...  and then my first wife got cancer and passed away leaving me with huge debts from un-reimbursed medical bills, etc. (no, health insurance does NOT pay for everything).  Now about the time that I'm close to getting myself dug out of all of that hole my current employer is going through yet another merger with corresponding layoffs and off-shoring, etc., so I'm likely to get laid off again soon...  And of course we are in another crash, so few decent job opportunities again.  Happy, happy, joy, joy.

Wow.  I am so sorry to hear about that.... and you are right - $1500 is not a ridiculous mortgage from that area.  Life has handed you some real tumbles, thats for sure.

We should all count our blessings.....

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 2:24:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

As a dish/at&t contractor, I am most qualified for installing/wiring, but I am willing to take anything.

Sorry to hear about that Will

I often hear or see email in my inbox for job openings for at&t U-verse Prem Techs and installers. If I hear anything around the office or email, would you consider that as an option? I dont work directly with OSP or field techs but I support a NOC that does. The openings I've read/heard about are typically in San Antonio or the Dallas area.

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:58:53 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Wow.  I am so sorry to hear about that.... and you are right - $1500 is not a ridiculous mortgage from that area.  Life has handed you some real tumbles, thats for sure.

We should all count our blessings.....

Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger, right?  For all the bad things I've gone through, things are actually looking up for me now in my home life...  Sure, work sucks, but I've got a new wife that makes me happy, likes guns, goes shooting with me, etc...   And that all means a lot.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 1:33:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry to hear about that Will

I often hear or see email in my inbox for job openings for at&t U-verse Prem Techs and installers. If I hear anything around the office or email, would you consider that as an option? I dont work directly with OSP or field techs but I support a NOC that does. The openings I've read/heard about are typically in San Antonio or the Dallas area.

Yes, I am very interested. Pm me when you get a chance.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top