Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2008 9:39:18 AM EDT
I just noticed that our electric bill is a whopping $650 this month only. That's about $150 more than our previous months. The A/C is on a lil more but not that much? Are we being screwed over or something? Our house is usually kept at 78-79 and 83-84 when no one is home.

Will it be easier for the wallet to leave it on constantly or adjusting it periodically turning it on and off?

Thank!
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:46:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Holy sheetballs, what is wrong with your house? What is the square footage and how well insulated is it? I would say adjusting the thermostat is the least of your worries. At that point I might check for faulty equipment such as a compressor motor binding up or low Freon, R-22. Ventilate your attic and install some solar screens, anything. That is highway robbery.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:47:05 AM EDT
[#2]
What size is your house? How much are you paying per KWH? I keep my 1600sf home @ 73 24/7 and my last bill was $158 but I'm also paying only .12 per KWH.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 10:06:27 AM EDT
[#3]
i'd have to go home and check the size of the house. But the insulation is fine. We recently installed it a year ago. Had the A/C dude come out and said the unit was working fine. So something's gotta be going on with something!
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 12:57:46 PM EDT
[#4]
For what it's worth, I'm in the same boat.  It wasn't really my house, it was my rate!

Here are my rates for the last three months: $0.122, then $0.142, and the latest of $0.202.

Now that's a HUGE price jump!

Check out this article, you might find it interesting:

Wall Street Journal
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 1:29:44 PM EDT
[#5]
The prices on electric went up all over. Just make sure you change your filter  once a month, and try using some ceiling fans more often, because it gives the feeling of being cooler.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top