Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2008 10:27:53 AM EDT
I'll be visiting Seaworld in San Antonio. Does anybody have any experience CCWing in the park as a LEO?
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 12:29:09 PM EDT
[#1]

Last time I was there (1 year ago), they checked bags, but no metal detectors.  No 30.06, and after searching the Texas CHL forums, I found that this is the only sign posted:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2137/2346164473_41bd4f5ffd.jpg

Ryan
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 12:42:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I've been 3 times in the last year, as an LEO and I've carried in twice on my hip, and once in a man-purse.  No issues.  Didn't have to badge at the gate, the guys searching asked to look in backpacks and bags, but didn't even pay attention to my man-purse.

Couple of San Antonio cops at the entry standing outside who noticed my LaRue Tactical t-shirt, but didn't say anything either.

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 12:53:33 PM EDT
[#3]
there something said about amusment parks and bigger than 80 something acers. I'm sure someone will give the whole code
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 2:20:43 PM EDT
[#4]
75 acres. HL).
Sec. 46.035.  UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE HOLDER.  

[...]
(b)  A license holder commits an offense if the license holder intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries a handgun under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, regardless of whether the handgun is concealed, on or about the license holder's person:
(1)  on the premises of a business that has a permit or license issued under Chapter 25, 28, 32, 69, or 74, Alcoholic Beverage Code, if the business derives 51 percent or more of its income from the sale or service of alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption, as determined by the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission under Section 104.06, Alcoholic Beverage Code;
(2)  on the premises where a high school, collegiate, or professional sporting event or interscholastic event is taking place, unless the license holder is a participant in the event and a handgun is used in the event;
(3)  on the premises of a correctional facility;
(4)  on the premises of a hospital licensed under Chapter 241, Health and Safety Code, or on the premises of a nursing home licensed under Chapter 242, Health and Safety Code, unless the license holder has written authorization of the hospital or nursing home administration, as appropriate;
(5)  in an amusement park;  or
(6)  on the premises of a church, synagogue, or other established place of religious worship.

(c)  A license holder commits an offense if the license holder intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries a handgun under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, regardless of whether the handgun is concealed, at any meeting of a governmental entity.
[...]

(f)  In this section:
(1)  "Amusement park" means a permanent indoor or outdoor facility or park where amusement rides are available for use by the public that is located in a county with a population of more than one million, encompasses at least 75 acres in surface area, is enclosed with access only through controlled entries, is open for operation more than 120 days in each calendar year, and has security guards on the premises at all times.  The term does not include any public or private driveway, street, sidewalk or walkway, parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area.

[...]
(i)  Subsections (b)(4), (b)(5), (b)(6), and (c) do not apply if the actor was not given effective notice under Section 30.06.

Ryan
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:03:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Aggie throughly documented the "written" communication part above, but one additional thing you might want to remember from section 30.06 is part (b);  "For purposes of this section, a person receives notice if the owner of the property or someone with apparent authority to act for the owner provides notice to the person by oral or written communication."

Don't forget the oral part.  If they notice and ask you to leave you'll have to leave.  Of course the solution to this would be:  make sure they don't/can't notice.  It's worked for me so far.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:47:24 PM EDT
[#6]
If you are a LEO, then CHL law is not really important.   LEO operate under H.R.218: The Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act of 2004.  

Chapter 44 of title 18, United States Code,
Sec. 926B. Carrying of concealed firearms by qualified law enforcement officers
   (b) This section shall not be construed to supersede or limit the laws of any State that--
     (1) permit private persons or entities to prohibit or restrict the possession of concealed firearms on their property; or ...

The long and the short of it is sea world is private property, and so they can limit what they see fit.  The question is, how does Sea World feel about LEOs carrying.

Of course the simple answer is, concealed means concealed.  

I had a sea world pass last year.  When we went, I remembered the specific part of the CHL code about amusement parks, so I left the weapon in the vehicle.  I guess I could play dumb with no 30.06 sign.  In my eyes, I had more fun with out carrying.  I go on roller coasters, get thrown all over the place.  A lot of those ride seats are pretty tight and the last thing I need is 5G's of glock in my side.  Or end up sitting next to some lady and end up jamming the glock into her as make a sharp turn.  Sometimes its a pain just to carry the cell phone.  And the 5year old climbing all over me doesn't help.

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:52:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Take it with you, but please do not shoot Shamu!!!

I am in the same situation with vacation coming up and plan to take mine in when we go to amusement parks, etc., as long as it's not a water park as it's a bit bulky to wear with my bathing suit
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:23:15 PM EDT
[#8]
But wait there's more!  

Sea World is owned by Busch Entertainment, as in Anheuser-Busch Beer Empire, which they sell at the park.  So, do they sell enough beer to be a 51% establishment?  If so, that impacts their CHL status.

I don't recall any signs saying such, but I was not looking either.  I know entry is $40+, but if you have a pass and go a few times, those beers can add up.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:54:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
But wait there's more!  

Sea World is owned by Busch Entertainment, as in Anheuser-Busch Beer Empire, which they sell at the park.  So, do they sell enough beer to be a 51% establishment?  If so, that impacts their CHL status.

I don't recall any signs saying such, but I was not looking either.  I know entry is $40+, but if you have a pass and go a few times, those beers can add up.

If they are and they don't have the 51% sign up, they could get into trouble with TABC.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:58:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the replies. I'll let ya'll know how it goes when I go to Sea World this week.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top