Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/12/2008 6:32:45 PM EDT
Is your dirt bag brother going to brag about your death sentence the way he did the day we learned Wesley Ruiz killed SrCpl Mark Nix.  If so, maybe he will lose his other ear.  The fuckhead got his bit off by inmates when he bragged.

Death Sentence For Convicted Cop Killer

06:44 PM CDT on Saturday, July 12, 2008

By TIARA M. ELLIS / The Dallas Morning News

DALLAS — Convicted capital murderer Wesley Lynn Ruiz was sentenced to death late Friday for the fatal shooting of a Dallas police officer. The Dallas County jury deliberated for more than 10 hours before sentencing him to death for capital murder in the killing of Dallas police Senior Cpl. Mark Nix.

As the verdict was read Ruiz's mother, Barbara Ruiz, sobbed into a crumbled tissue and turned to her mother for comfort.

Ruiz, 28, fatally shot Cpl. Nix after a high-speed chase in 2007. Ruiz testified last month during the guilt-innocence phase of the trial that he thought police were shooting at the car in which he was hiding. The jury did not believe his self-defense claim.

The courtroom was cleared about 6 p.m. tonight so the jury could watch the police dash camera recording of Cpl. Nix being shot. The recording was played repeatedly during the guilt-innocence phase of the trial and was also played during closing arguments earlier today.

The jury had two sentencing options: life without parole or death.

During closing arguments, defense attorney Paul Brauchle told the jury that they have to decide if they believe Ruiz is going to be a continuing threat, even if locked in prison.

Brauchle said prosecutors did not prove that Ruiz would be a violent inmate.

During the past year when Ruiz has been held in the Dallas County Jail, he has had no discipline problems, Brauchle said.

“It's like they are saying, 'Trust us. We're from the state. We're here to kill Wes Ruiz,'” Brauchle said.

Karo Johnson, another one of Ruiz's attorneys, ran at the jury box during his closing arguments holding the same baton Cpl. Nix used to break the car window of the car Ruiz was driving during the shooting incident.

Johnson hit the jury box with the baton, causing many of the jurors to jump.

Ruiz feared for his life, Johnson said.

Prosecutor Andy Beach rejected the defense attorneys' assertions of non-violence and reminded the jury that Ruiz led police on a car chase, wrecked the car, and then shot Cpl. Nix when he could not get away.

Beach also reminded jurors about testimony from fellow gang members and police officers who said Ruiz participated in a drive-by shooting in Irving. He also led another Dallas police officer on a chase similar to the one with Cpl. Nix. A handgun was confiscated from his car that day.

In letters and phone conversations from jail, Ruiz expressed his frustration with prison life, guards and his circumstances.

“[Expletive] them people. [Expletive] that jury. Who gives a [expletive] about them?” Beach read from transcript of a recorded phone call Ruiz made from jail.

“By your verdict today when you do justice, you are going to re-affirm for...all the other police officers in the city that it's worth it,” Beach said. “It does matter.”
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 6:37:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Good to hear.
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 7:06:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Feel the burn.  I hope he flinches when they stick him.
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 10:08:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Seeya.
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 10:32:22 PM EDT
[#4]
AMF enjoy the ride.
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 6:01:59 AM EDT
[#5]
If they need someone to insert the needle, I'm available.
I promiss that it wont hurt.....much...
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 9:08:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Only problem with this is....

"Ride the Pancuronium bromide" doesn't have that .. um ... cool soundingness that "Ride the Lightning" does.
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 9:13:48 AM EDT
[#7]
My ex was on that jury which convicted and sentenced him.
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 9:16:20 AM EDT
[#8]
How long with the bastard sit on his ass on death row before he's executed I wonder?
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 10:15:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 12:19:30 PM EDT
[#10]

One more dirtbag off the street permanently--permanently just won't be soon enough.

His lawyer might want to reevaluate his courtroom behavior. Charging, and then smacking the jury box with a deadly weapon, tends to have the effect of pi$$ing off the jury. Not to mention the judge. Can't imagine he didn't get a tongue lashing over it.

Link Posted: 7/13/2008 3:09:06 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Tell her I said thanks!
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 3:32:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Whenever Sr Cpl Mark Timothy Nix would bring a bad guy in to Sterrett, if it was towards the end of his shift he'd sit and chat with my mom while he did his reports.  She worked prisoner intake on 1st watch(10PM-7AM) so she saw him frequently.  He was a heck of a nice guy, with a quick and smart sense of humor which is the main reason they got along so well.  The day he died it just broke my mom's heart, she knew an officer had been killed, but the officers name wasnt released until just into the start of her shift when she checked WFAA's website.  She broke down and started crying when she saw his picture, and so did the other ladies that worked intake.

Come to find out Sr Cpl Nix few years earlier responded to a burglary in progress at my house in North Dallas.  I live in an area where the Northwest Precinct(which Mark had been recently assigned) was about 3 miles from doorstep, but my neighborhood was under North-Central Precinct.  In fact the particular officers that served my beat patrolled Far North Dallas and had to cross through Carrollton, Addison, and Farmers Branch just to reach my hood.  Anyways, Mark got there first, and took the suspect off my hands and ferried him to Sterrett.  

He was a true professional, in every sense of the word, and will be missed by a grateful city.

A serious thanks also goes out to his comrades who tried desperately to save Nix' life that day.  Sr Cpls Jason Jarc, Patrick Starr, Jeremy Borchardt and Todd Haecker.  They were heroes that day.  

Sr Cpl Borchardt has a helluva story!.  To save his life that day, a DFD paramedic got on top of Borchardt and placed his knee into the wound.
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 6:35:23 PM EDT
[#13]
adios, mofo.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 6:16:59 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
adios, mofo.

Yep.

Link Posted: 7/14/2008 6:29:54 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Buy that gal a drink!
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:20:11 AM EDT
[#16]
She said it was the most difficult decision she's ever had to make, but it was the right one.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:27:12 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
She said it was the most difficult decision she's ever had to make, but it was the right one.

And we are proud of her for it. Ex, or not.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top