Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/4/2008 12:23:34 PM EDT
Hyperion pledges to create 1,826 full-time jobs at hourly wages of between $20 and $30.

Hyperion touted the so-called "green" technology in its proposed energy center, which it claims would be the world's cleanest. The refinery would process 400,000 barrels of tar sands crude a day from Alberta into low-sulfur gasoline, diesel and jet fuel.

Supporters argued that tapping into reserves from our neighbor to the north would reduce the nation's dependence on Mideast oil and add badly needed refining capacity in the U.S., where the last all-new refinery was built in 1976.

link
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 12:40:14 PM EDT
[#1]
1.  I'm glad to see another refinery being built in the U.S..

2.  I'm glad to see a refinery being built away from the gulf coast and the influence of huricanes.

3.  Something awful should happen to Ed Cable.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:45:25 PM EDT
[#2]
With trucking costs so high a few more regional refineries (Close to crude sources, of course)  would surely help the price of fuel. Refining has been a bottleneck for a long time and some EPA help would be good too. The various "Blends" are driving up costs, as well.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:54:24 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
With trucking costs so high a few more regional refineries (Close to crude sources, of course)  would surely help the price of fuel. Refining has been a bottleneck for a long time and some EPA help would be good too. The various "Blends" are driving up costs, as well.

With all that being said, I just got a letter in the mail today informing me that the Keystone XL pipeline will be crossing my land.  This pipeline comes from Alberta all the way to the gulf coast.  
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:59:00 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

With all that being said, I just got a letter in the mail today informing me that the Keystone XL pipeline will be crossing my land.  This pipeline comes from Alberta all the way to the gulf coast.  

Are they going to wear Kevlar vests while installing it with all the shooting on your range?

You need to plan a shoot about the time they come through
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 11:17:32 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Location only matters with respect to the pipelines servicing the refinery.  Most of the long haul is pipeline and SD has some great lines for crude and refined product.  We all benefit regardless of the geographical location.

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 11:22:51 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are they going to wear Kevlar vests while installing it with all the shooting on your range?

Please don't.  Pipelines are buried DEEP.  The only time they rise is river crossing and pump/meter stations.  The most you will see is a clearing on the ROW.  

Make sure to get them to reseed the ROW.  It is a great way to increase pasture land :)

If it crosses agricultural land, they will bury DEEP.  I have seen 10 feet +, depending on conditions.  And if you have water, they should pay for use of it when they hydro.

Pipelines are the safest method of petroleum transport.  And the most economical.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 1:45:45 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your gonna get paid!!
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 6:07:59 AM EDT
[#8]
These fuckers want 300 ft. right of way for a 36" pipeline.  150' on either side of the pipe.  The thing that sucks, is they come in tear down a bunch of trees, push them over to the side, put in their pipe and then leave the landowner with the mess.  

Link Posted: 6/5/2008 1:06:56 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
These fuckers want 300 ft. right of way for a 36" pipeline.  150' on either side of the pipe.  The thing that sucks, is they come in tear down a bunch of trees, push them over to the side, put in their pipe and then leave the landowner with the mess.  

I've been a special commissioner on a number of cases with a new 36" pipeline coming through our county in the last few months.  $150 per rod + damages to trees, cost to move livestock, etc... is the going rate around here for a 36" pipeline.  Actually we awareded close to that in a case where it was going in an existing permanent easement.  

The latest I did was either a 6" or 8" line, I can't remember and they were getting around $75 per rod across good pasture land.  

Link Posted: 6/5/2008 1:09:52 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Please don't.  Pipelines are buried DEEP.  The only time they rise is river crossing and pump/meter stations.  The most you will see is a clearing on the ROW.  

Make sure to get them to reseed the ROW.  It is a great way to increase pasture land :)

If it crosses agricultural land, they will bury DEEP.  I have seen 10 feet +, depending on conditions.  And if you have water, they should pay for use of it when they hydro.

Pipelines are the safest method of petroleum transport.  And the most economical.

Wow, we don't see the same pipeline companies I guess.    Here, they do it half ass unless you involve lawyers.  They don't even stick to the guidelines set forth in the leases.  There are way too many new lines buried each day for the state to keep up with what's going on.  
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 1:29:14 PM EDT
[#11]
If you look at a google satellite view of my property, you can still see where they put through the pipeline from the Carla Jones No. 1 well.  That was 7 years ago.  They were in a hurry on that one too.  The well only lasted 2 months, but they were good months.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top