Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/26/2007 6:35:13 PM EDT
Tennessee: Gunfire Blasts Red Light Camera
Knoxville, Tennessee police accuse a man of blasting a red light camera with a .30-06 rifle.

Camera gunshotA red light camera in Knoxville, Tennessee was riddled with bullets early yesterday. The ticketing device, located at the intersection near Broadway Street and Interstate 640, was struck by three bullets at around 2am, leaving the camera's lens shattered and incapable of ticketing. WATE-TV reports that police found Clifford E. Clark III, 47, in a minivan near the scene of the incident with a Ruger M77 Mark II .30-06 rifle. Clark was arrested and accused of felony vandalism for damaging the automated ticketing machine operated by Redflex, the Australian company that Knoxville hired to run the program.

Red light cameras are typically encased in "bullet resistant" housings that cannot stop a high-powered rifle round. The plating used on the red light camera increases the possibility of ricochet damage from small arms fire to nearby homes and businesses.

Source: Man arrested in connection with red light camera shooting (WATE-TV (TN), 11/25/2007)

www.thenewspaper.com/news/20/2088.asp
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 7:57:32 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Tennessee: Gunfire Blasts Red Light Camera
Knoxville, Tennessee police accuse a man of blasting a red light camera with a .30-06 rifle.

Camera gunshotA red light camera in Knoxville, Tennessee was riddled with bullets early yesterday. The ticketing device, located at the intersection near Broadway Street and Interstate 640, was struck by three bullets at around 2am, leaving the camera's lens shattered and incapable of ticketing. WATE-TV reports that police found Clifford E. Clark III, 47, in a minivan near the scene of the incident with a Ruger M77 Mark II .30-06 rifle. Clark was arrested and accused of felony vandalism for damaging the automated ticketing machine operated by Redflex, the Australian company that Knoxville hired to run the program.

Red light cameras are typically encased in "bullet resistant" housings that cannot stop a high-powered rifle round. The plating used on the red light camera increases the possibility of ricochet damage from small arms fire to nearby homes and businesses.

Source: Man arrested in connection with red light camera shooting (WATE-TV (TN), 11/25/2007)

www.thenewspaper.com/news/20/2088.asp

This is terrible.  Destruction of public property.   Creating an unsafe driving condition!   What a shame.  I am so upset.   Good thing those things couldn't be taken out with a silenced .22 long rifle from the wooded area behind the intersection in the middle of the night when traffic is at a minimum and there being nothing in the background that could be hurt.   That would just be double bad and I would slap the perp with a wet noodle.
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 8:00:20 PM EDT
[#2]
How dare they mess with a revenue generation machine!!
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 8:03:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Hmm.. Then again maybe his actions will save someone's life.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen people jam on the brakes and nearly cause collisions, or stomp the gas (and nearly cause a collision) in an effort to get through the signal before it can snap their photo.

It happened to me the other day - someone ahead of me stalled going into the intersection so I had to wait on them. When he got going again I realized the light was in the process of changing and that it was one of those intersections with the camera. I gunned it and almost ran over that car trying to get through the intersection before it could get me.
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 8:19:53 PM EDT
[#4]
maybe we need a long range paintball rifle.  then it's not destruction and no sound either.
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 8:30:55 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
maybe we need a long range paintball rifle.  then it's not destruction and no sound either.

No!  You would have to shoot the front of the camera!
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 5:04:12 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No!  You would have to shoot the front of the camera!

Go in on foot and wear a mask.

Link Posted: 11/27/2007 5:05:39 AM EDT
[#7]
What you really need, is a home made flame thrower.  Then kill the motherfucker with fire.  Instantaneous 1800 degree heat on that glass polycarbonate faceplate means it won't see too good after that.  
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 9:42:33 AM EDT
[#8]
A bug spray that has DEET in it is quite harmful to transparent plastic.  So, any of you camera technicians out there make sure you don't have bug spray on your hands before working on the cameras.
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 12:26:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 12:28:09 PM EDT
[#10]
I say tannerite will do a much better job and send a better message.
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 12:57:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Did anyone notice that it was not even an American company?

"the Australian company that Knoxville hired to run the program."
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 1:12:06 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
$4 laser pointer

$8 pack of AA batteries, or even better an AC power source

$0 use of solder iron

$ .01 zip ties

Aim laser at camera optics

Bloom or saturate CCD sensor in camera

Voila! no vandalism, no pictures

I rule

This will permanently ruin the CCD?
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 1:14:14 PM EDT
[#13]
The city here just installed 3 of them at intersections on the loop.
In 2 weeks they had 1562 tickets sent out to people that 'ran' the red lights.

$75.00 per ticket with the city only getting about $32.00 of it.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 1:47:49 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
$4 laser pointer

$8 pack of AA batteries, or even better an AC power source

$0 use of solder iron

$ .01 zip ties

Aim laser at camera optics

Bloom or saturate CCD sensor in camera

Voila! no vandalism, no pictures

I rule

This will permanently ruin the CCD?

It's certainly possible that it would ruin the CCD.

Optics and such can be very sensitive.  Anti-satellite technology uses the same concept... laser damaging an enemy satellite's optics.

And it would be very subtle.

Link Posted: 11/27/2007 3:44:58 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

BigDozer66

The same company does all the cities in DFW, as far as i can tell.  If you "ran" the red light and got a notice in the mail, you can be pretty sure you did go through after the light turned red.  The notice has 3 photographs on it, 2 show your car proceeding through the intersection against the light and the 3rd shows your plate.  At this point you think, "I'm gonna fight this one"......then you watch the several second video that shows the light change and then 1 second later you enter the intersection and run the light.

My wife got caught in Garland, I got caught in Dallas and a few others in the dept have been caught in Dallas and other cities.  All of us were determined to fight the ticket until we saw the videos of ourselves.

mm
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 6:02:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Why don't they save on the cameras and just send us our monthly tithing notice in the mail?
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 6:15:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Stop at the damn light and you won't have trouble.  Now one can argue about signal timing, flashing red at night, etc, but at basic level running a redlight is plain unsafe, and mostly to the other person.  Speed cameras are a different story.

BTW the Brits have legions of speed cameras and have some countermeasures.
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 6:23:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 6:33:36 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

BigDozer66

Are you in East Texas?
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 8:34:42 PM EDT
[#20]
I am torn between burning or shooting the fuckers and simply not running red lights.
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 10:48:39 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I am torn between burning or shooting the fuckers and simply not running red lights.

I choose neither.  I prefer to bitch about it on arfcom.  I will use plenty of angry emoticons to express my displeasure.

Link Posted: 11/28/2007 4:39:50 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Stop at the damn light and you won't have trouble.  Now one can argue about signal timing, flashing red at night, etc, but at basic level running a redlight is plain unsafe, and mostly to the other person.  Speed cameras are a different story.

In general, I believe you, however, there have been studies upon studies that show that simply lengthening the time before the cross traffic light turns green does a much more effective job of preventing death and injuries.  Then again, there would be no revenue associated with it.

I saw this in Team and suggested a .50BMG from further away.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 5:39:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 7:48:44 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Damnnnn!!!  those are some pretty pissed off Brits going after those cameras!

To think they willingly gave up their guns, and now are forced to right "The Man" with 'tyres soaked with petrol'

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 10:06:53 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Why don't they save on the cameras and just send us our monthly tithing notice in the mail?

Your annual tithe is due at the end of January.  
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 12:11:27 PM EDT
[#26]
I used to live in Baltimore and when they installed the red light cameras they shortened the yellow to less than legal. I believe 2.5 seconds of yellow was required.
If the reason for installing cameras was for safety as they claim they should also install count down timers. the first one I saw was in Cambodia about 4 years ago and it seems to work and they don't have cameras.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 9:47:46 AM EDT
[#28]

Thats breaks my heart. Some sorry A' person stop the city from getting well deserved money. People....how in the hades do you expect the ability of our cities to maintain social programs for illegal aliens if you shoot the red light cameras???

I'm emailing my city { and Hillary Clinton} right  now to inform them that 24 hour swat is needed to protect these devices. This can not continue. Mexico is depending on our welfare programs.

DISGUSTING.....R.I.P. poor, poor, camera
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 10:35:41 AM EDT
[#29]
A lot of times, you can reverse the image and the plate numbers come out very clearly.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 1:00:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Unfortunately I think our British brothers didn't give up their firearms, much like we won't give up ours.  I'm thinking it's more of a "turn them in, or else".  Just that they did it twice.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damnnnn!!!  those are some pretty pissed off Brits going after those cameras!

To think they willingly gave up their guns, and now are forced to right "The Man" with 'tyres soaked with petrol'

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 3:06:50 PM EDT
[#31]
I think a paintball round is enough of a protest. However, "tyres filled with petrol" is an interesting thought.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 9:05:47 PM EDT
[#32]
BTW.... I don't advocate someone here going out and shooting paintball or burning "tyres" at a red light camera. No....

Pay a homeless guy to do it for you.... civil disobedience the way the demmycrats do it.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 9:06:49 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
BTW.... I don't advocate someone here going out and shooting paintball or burning "tyres" at a red light camera. No....

Pay a homeless guy to do it for you.... civil disobedience the way the demmycrats do it.

Link Posted: 12/2/2007 2:52:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Now that's funny!
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 4:16:49 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Anyone tried this:

photoblockeryoutube.com/watch?v=ED_wVR0c1z0

phantomplatewww.phantomplate.com/

www.photoblocker.com/lo_photoblocker.htm

they tried it on myth busters if you want to beat it you got to be going 160 miles an hour
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:17:17 PM EDT
[#36]
I suppose it's just out of the question to obey the traffic laws?

Just asking....
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 6:54:23 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I suppose it's just out of the question to obey the traffic laws?

Just asking....

Has nothing to do with obeying traffic laws.  It is all about the cities trying to generate a new revenue source as others dry up.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 8:02:15 PM EDT
[#38]
so what do you think a 308 AP round might do?  I recently aquired 100 of these projectiles and I loaded them up but so far I have found nothing to try them out on!  

things that make you go hmmmmmm.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top