Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/9/2007 3:35:58 PM EDT
I have been through Texas a long time ago but do not have a clue.  I'd be moving from Kansas City to Fort Worth on 12-14-07, my first work day is Monday 12-17-07.

Please tell me about...

Gun shops in the DFW area that do EBRs.

A membership type range like Fort Wolters Shooting Sports Club and Tactical Professionals Shooting Center.

I think I will be living in the 76132 area, tell me more

Hey, you are there, tell me what I need to know.  I have a week and a half to get it all together!!!

Thanks!!!
Link Posted: 11/9/2007 3:47:05 PM EDT
[#1]
The area has a great cost of living. Texas has no state income tax. For shooting, you have the Fort Wolters Shooting Sports Club in nearby Mineral Wells (half an hour to the west) and Tactical Professionals Shooting Center in Mingus (ninety minutes to the west).
Link Posted: 11/9/2007 4:29:08 PM EDT
[#2]
  Fort worth is more of the major rural city then Dallas. Dallas has smaller towns around it. And everyone of them likes to like you know their there. Police in one city may be laid back (low ticket chance), whiles others will hammer you. Plus the highways go North East, South, and West all at once. (it's real busy most the time.)

Fort Worth as a rich history behind it. It's modern Texas grown from cattle ranchers and rich oil barren. See the sights.

If you like tobacco products, about an 2 hours north of the city in OK, you'll find indian reservations. Their the lucky ones, NO FEDERAL TAX. Plus OK is waaaay laid back.

Then if you want a smaller place to find some pretty good,old school gun shops, Waco. Just south of you. Branch Davidians torch spot.

You'll love it.

As for the jobs, Dallas has alot of the money making jobs. The grassy noid is where the FBI, Army, and other federal  GS stuff. The police are always looking for help. Take an app for the post office.
Link Posted: 11/9/2007 10:56:36 PM EDT
[#3]
avoid north and east fort worth for the houses
Link Posted: 11/9/2007 11:07:42 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

What the Poly and Stop6 area is beautiful this time of year.
Link Posted: 11/10/2007 7:06:23 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, with all the RED BLOOD from shootings and GREEN MONEY from the bank robberies its so nice
Link Posted: 11/10/2007 8:46:09 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

if your mexican
Link Posted: 11/10/2007 10:01:29 PM EDT
[#7]
We moved here about 2 1/2 years ago from Ogden, Utah. Before that I had lived in the Wichita area for about 14 years. In my job I travel all over the western 2/3 of the DFW metroplex. My wife also travels to many parts of the metromess, she's in the medical field.

Anyway ... I would not care to live on the Dallas side of town.

My wife's son has lived here for about 8-9 years. He gave us some good advice on house hunting. "Stay outside the loop", meaning the 820 loop around Ft Worth. That means north, west or south of Ft Worth since Dallas is to the east.

It is a long way to Dallas from Ft Worth, about 30 miles from downtown to downtown. It takes a long time to get from one side to the other of the metroplex.

If you can tell me where you'll be working, I can give some more useful info about traffic in that area, etc.

We bought a house in Azle, which is on the west side of Eagle Mountain lake. Because of the lake, the roads between Azle and Ft Worth are limited. It gets frustrating, but neither of us knows of a place we'd rather live.

A couple of other nice areas around Ft Worth are north, the Keller, Haslet, Watauga area. To get to Ft Worth from this area you need to drive I-35W, which clogs up often. Also, Hwy 820 from 35W to Hwy 183, and 183 from there to Dallas ... the whole thing is a mess. It's way under capacity for the amount of traffic. IMO it's the worst stretch of road on the west side of the metroplex.

Another nice area, where several of my co-workers live, is south of Ft Worth in the Crowley/Burleson area. I don't know a lot about that area, except that several folks I work with, who have lived in DFW for several years have chosen to live there.

If I had it to do over again, I would look hard at the Weatherford area.

AS far as housing costs, I think they are comparable to the KC area. The nicer burbs are going to bring premium prices. There is a ton of building going on around here. We bought a 4 bedroom house, 2100 sq/ft (the 4th BR is actually an office) built in 2002 with a 2 car attached garage and a 25x20 garage in the back yard. It was just over $150K. These are hard to find and we looked for weeks before we found this one. Lots here run very small, and most don't have room for a detached garage or a driveway around the side of the house. Ours did not have a driveway when we bought it, but we had one poured. The 3 car garages that were common in Wichita are rare here. And there are no basements here.

What does your wife do?  Jobs seem to be very easy to come by, compared to Utah or Kansas.

I belong to the Parker County Sportsman's Club. It's near Poolville and has ranges out to 250 yards, and it's cheap. There are a lot of ranges around here, and quite a few gun shops. There is a Cabela's north of Fort Worth and a Bass Pro near DFW airport, plus a new BPS on the east side of Dallas.

There is a lot to do around here. I recently got an offer to relocate, and after evaluating everything decided to turn it down and stay here.

Email me if there is anything you don't want to put on the forum.

Jim

Link Posted: 11/11/2007 7:09:10 AM EDT
[#8]
I would look a little north in the northwest area. Consider cities such as Roanoke, Keller, Justin, and Northlake. It's a nice growing area with decent priced houses. There is Quail Creek range in Justin but the range doesn't allow fmj or any Class 3. Otherwise, it's an ok range. There is also Bass Pros indoor range for pistol shooting.
Link Posted: 11/11/2007 7:35:49 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
We moved here about 2 1/2 years ago from Ogden, Utah. Before that I had lived in the Wichita area for about 14 years. In my job I travel all over the western 2/3 of the DFW metroplex. My wife also travels to many parts of the metromess, she's in the medical field.
<SNIP>

Email me if there is anything you don't want to put on the forum.

Jim

I can't find an address, but Associated Wholesale Grocers bought a 1.2 million square food distribution center in "Fort Worth".  I'd rather be further out that near Dallas, and I'd be happier with an older house and a few acres that a new house on a postage stamp size lot.  Sharon now works for a government contractor and is the office administrator for a company that does maintenance and repair for a federal building.  She and her boss do the office stuff, and they direct the repair guys.

If all was perfect, I'd like to find enough land to shoot on my property, but I think that would be out of my price range and I don't want an overly long commute.  However, I have retired from a government job, and when I finally retire I want to be living where I want to be then.  I want to be able to shoot without a major drive, perfection would be off my back porch, but I think that is a $$$ dream that is asking too much.

I have always lived from 10 min to 30 minutes from where I work.  I could do an hour of driving, long before I could stand 40 minutes of bumper to bumper.  So it is not the distance/time as much as it is steady progress when driving.

Thanks guys for the info so far!
Link Posted: 11/11/2007 1:41:10 PM EDT
[#10]
"If all was perfect, I'd like to find enough land to shoot on my property"

You can do that. Check the Crowley and Cleburne areas. A few guys from work live there and they got a nice chunk of land at a decent price. They also have their own range.  

Like Warhawk said  stay out of the loop (820). Anything around (except west) is a good place to relocate.  
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:15:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Update...

I got the job!!!
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 2:23:33 AM EDT
[#12]
DasRonin,
Here is all you need to know about FT Worth: Move to Dallas.

Happy_Gopher
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 6:08:03 AM EDT
[#13]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top