Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/11/2007 7:39:41 PM EDT
I own 30 acres close to Bonham which will be under water when Lake Ralph Hall is flooded. The back 15 acres is heavily wooded. I know jack about trees other than oaks and pines and while there are some of each there are some I would not even guess at. The bottom line is what do I do next? From what I have read so far it looks like a good way to get screwed out of some money if I don't do the legwork upfront. Thanks. SS
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 8:42:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Has anyone else sold off timber around you?

I have not personally done it but we were quoted IIRC $25K about 5 or more years ago. This was to clearcut about 80acres of bottom land with mostly white oak and pin oak. The last neighbor I spoke with got a little more than that for 60acres.

Its really going to boil down to supply and demand, if the loggers have lots of folks to buy from yours won't command that much. They could also pass you buy completely if you hold out for a lot.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 8:54:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Hire a timber appraiser.   Get said timber appraiser to "cruise" the timber.  There are plenty of folks around to do that.   Just make sure that your timber appraiser is not the timber buyer.   You want an un-biased appraisal.  There are quite a few timber guys around that just "cruise" timber and are not timber buyers.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 11:33:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Independent  timber appraisers are called Consulting Foresters. The Texas forest service has vendor lists available for land owners.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 6:09:02 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Independent  timber appraisers are called Consulting Foresters. The Texas forest service has vendor lists available for land owners.  

bingo, I went blank there for a minute... well, maybe longer...
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 7:00:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks, I'll find an appraiser and go from there. S
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 7:26:18 AM EDT
[#6]
A timber cutter will come out for free and give you an estimate of the dollar value.  Get MULTIPLE quotes as they will vary greatly.

Better to find a smaller mom-and-pop type place that's hungry, and avoid the larger ones.

CMOS
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 12:05:29 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I own 30 acres close to Bonham which will be under water when Lake Ralph Hall is flooded.

So, do you get paid for your 30 acres when they flood it, or how does that work out?
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 1:55:28 PM EDT
[#8]
They will pay me the "fair market value" of the land at the time. I hope to break even and go buy some more land. Next time nowhere close to any planned lakes!!
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 2:51:56 PM EDT
[#9]
My sister lives in Bonham. She is head of grounds for the city of Plano and has a degree in Forestry. I believe she was actually a timber cruiser (estimator) for a while. IM me with your number and if she is wililng and able to value your property for you, I will have her call you.

I will call her tonight and ask her.

My mother just made a boat load of cash off of selling timber on her property close to Jacksonville

Mike
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top