Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/10/2007 3:40:02 PM EDT
Wow, just wow, Got any other details on this?

Glad no LEO's or anyone else was hurt, but damn, next time just shoot the guy. (With lead)

I was on the way to work to discover traffic at a stand still and heavily armed LEOs every where.

I wasn't worried until I saw the DFW bomb squad truck

www.kxii.com/home/headlines/10414357.html

SHERMAN, Tex. -- A seven-hour standoff between Sherman Police and a man armed with a pipe bomb came to end around 5:30 this morning.

According to Sherman Police, they received a call around 10:30 Tuesday night of a suspicious vehicle driving erratically on U.S. 75 late Tuesday and tried to pull him over. Instead, the man sped away.

Sgt. Bruce Dawsey says a brief chase ended when the car spun out on a gravel parking lot.

Upon approach of the vehicle, the driver, 33-year-old Richard Hunn of Sherman, was found slumped over in the front seat of the car. Hunn then took off, and a pursuit ensued.

After a successful perimeter was set up by Sherman Police, Hunn displayed what appeared to be a pipe bomb to authorities near East & Pecan Streets in Sherman. The standoff came to an end there around 5:30 Wednesday morning.

Sgt. Bruce Dawsey of the Sherman Police Department says officers used tear gas seven hours later to flush the man into the open, then fired beanbag rounds at the man to force him to drop the pipe.

Hunn was taken to a local hospital for precautionary reasons where will be booked into the Grayson County Jail upon his release.

The D/FW Airport Bomb Squad was called to the scene where they were successfully able to detonate the explosive safely after the standoff ended. No one was injured in the contained blast.

This is not the first time Hunn has been arrested. In October 1999, Hunn was arrested for possession of an explosive device and attempted capital murder after he was discovered attempting to detonate an explosive device behind the Sherman Police Department.

We’ll have much more on this throughout the day on KXII-TV and KXII.com.

Such a lovely neighborhood I work in.

WTF? Second time he had done this????
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 4:36:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Its amazing what happens in Sherman huh? I work 8 blocks from there.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 5:26:02 PM EDT
[#2]
after spending 5 years in Sherman, I feel qualified to say that they are not your average police force.  They deal with Meth and College.  

When I lived in an apt. there, I had several instances where I stood inside a doorway on a 2nd or 3rd floor apt and "covered" officers (within a distance of 50 ft. ) while they waited for the rest of SPD to show up and help end situations ...    I have no doubt that I would have been arrested had I come to ground level and helped any officers.  While living there I also saw my first tazing (he deserved it and it was funny)

They dislike everyone except other leos.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 5:53:03 PM EDT
[#3]
All of Grayson county still gets pretty western from time to time. I need to upgrade my scanner since the county and Sherman have gone digital. Luckily I can still pick our local guys.

I worked in Sherman from 82-94 as a telephone repairman with GTE. We had a good working relationship with them most of the time. Played softball and shot with many of them. There is only one or two guys still there that I know anymore and one of them used to work with me.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:11:03 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
All of Grayson county still gets pretty western from time to time. I need to upgrade my scanner since the county and Sherman have gone digital. Luckily I can still pick our local guys.

I worked in Sherman from 82-94 as a telephone repairman with GTE. We had a good working relationship with them most of the time. Played softball and shot with many of them. There is only one or two guys still there that I know anymore and one of them used to work with me.

I know a couple Sherman LEOs, am not bashing them at all, but just wondering WTF?

Why didn't they take this guy out?
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:46:54 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know a couple Sherman LEOs, am not bashing them at all, but just wondering WTF?

Why didn't they take this guy out?

meh trying to take him out w/ his own device when dropped.. bonus style points :P
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 5:19:06 PM EDT
[#6]
This is strange. There is an engine shop, a parking lot for a grain storage bin, and a lumber yard place at the corner of Pecan and East streets. Unless they were afraid of how big the bomb might be they had a good place to take him on. There would be no innocent bystanders at that time of day.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top