BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2007 8:15:46 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 4:59:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 5:06:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Texas has these things......... Signs on the side of the road.  They are a vertical rectangle with a white background and black letters and numbers.  The Letters spell out the word "Speed Limit" and the numbers indicate the highest corresponding number you can have indicated on your speedometer while driving in that area.

Its really pretty cool.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 5:13:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Next thing you know there's gonna be a mandated poo poo census
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 5:54:34 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Revenue generating areas for your local counties by the Poo poo

Hope it helps some of you out.

poo poo???
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:08:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the link. Interesting to say the least.

It's a shame that the line between public safety and revenue enhancement is so blurred these days.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:21:28 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Texas has these things......... Signs on the side of the road.  They are a vertical rectangle with a white background and black letters and numbers.  The Letters spell out the word "Speed Limit" and the numbers indicate the highest corresponding number you can have indicated on your speedometer while driving in that area.

Its really pretty cool.  

There is a difference between intentionally breaking the law, and getting caught by a sudden or illogical change in speed limit.

Link Posted: 10/10/2007 7:18:20 PM EDT
[#7]
This is from the Longview one....

The particular area is on Bill Owens Parkway between Hawkins Parkway and Spring Hill Road. A Longview Police Patrol will usually hide on Irene Street. Bill Owens has a low speed limit even though it is a 4 lane parkway.

Today's paper

Wreck kills Longview man, injures two

Click-2-Listen
FROM STAFF REPORTS

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

A Longview man died early Tuesday in a wreck at the intersection of West Hawkins and Bill Owens parkways.

Police said Joshua Andrew Bryan, 27, was killed after he ran a red light while driving north in the center turn lane on Bill Owens.

He was pronounced dead at the scene at 2:15 a.m.

His SUV collided with a vehicle driven by Melissa Leanne Etheridge. The impact rolled Bryan's SUV onto its side and top, pushing it off the road.

Etheridge, 19, of Longview and a passenger in Bryan's car, Jacob Kane Pittman, 26, of Longview, were taken to Good Shepherd Medical Center with non-critical injuries, police said. A passenger in Etheridge's vehicle, Whitney Plasterer, 19, of Longview, did not request medical treatment, police said.

The Longview Police Department is investigating the accident, and police said results of a blood analysis from both drivers are pending.

Bryan's death is the 14th traffic fatality this year.

Link Posted: 10/10/2007 7:26:40 PM EDT
[#8]
It's freaking hilarious.  I especially like the claimed speed traps at roads or intersections that do not exist and how they get the posted limits wrong.

Honorable mention to the wingnut that thinks school zones are speedtraps.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 4:46:26 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
It's freaking hilarious.  I especially like the claimed speed traps at roads or intersections that do not exist and how they get the posted limits wrong.

I know this is not a speed trap, but I did witness in LaPorte a city police officer waiting in a private parking lot across a road from a school zone.  This particular school zone has the flashing lights.  The light start flashing at 2:00 p.m. (school gets out at 3:15).  He waits for a car going 35, which is the posted speed to enter the school zone before the lights start flashing.  Once the lights start flashing, he then pull them over and gives them a ticket for going 35 in a school zone.  

Again, this is not a speed trap, but an example of a no good chicken shit small town revenue collecting motherfucker.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 5:48:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 6:21:07 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
This is from the Longview one....

The particular area is on Bill Owens Parkway between Hawkins Parkway and Spring Hill Road. A Longview Police Patrol will usually hide on Irene Street. Bill Owens has a low speed limit even though it is a 4 lane parkway.

Today's paper

Wreck kills Longview man, injures two

Click-2-Listen
FROM STAFF REPORTS

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

A Longview man died early Tuesday in a wreck at the intersection of West Hawkins and Bill Owens parkways.

Police said Joshua Andrew Bryan, 27, was killed after he ran a red light while driving north in the center turn lane on Bill Owens.

He was pronounced dead at the scene at 2:15 a.m.

His SUV collided with a vehicle driven by Melissa Leanne Etheridge. The impact rolled Bryan's SUV onto its side and top, pushing it off the road.

Etheridge, 19, of Longview and a passenger in Bryan's car, Jacob Kane Pittman, 26, of Longview, were taken to Good Shepherd Medical Center with non-critical injuries, police said. A passenger in Etheridge's vehicle, Whitney Plasterer, 19, of Longview, did not request medical treatment, police said.

The Longview Police Department is investigating the accident, and police said results of a blood analysis from both drivers are pending.

Bryan's death is the 14th traffic fatality this year.

wow, I read that one and thought I have never seen a cop right there and I travel Hawkins from one end to the other ALL the time.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 8:06:59 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know this is not a speed trap, but I did witness in LaPorte a city police officer waiting in a private parking lot across a road from a school zone.  This particular school zone has the flashing lights.  The light start flashing at 2:00 p.m. (school gets out at 3:15).  He waits for a car going 35, which is the posted speed to enter the school zone before the lights start flashing.  Once the lights start flashing, he then pull them over and gives them a ticket for going 35 in a school zone.  

Again, this is not a speed trap, but an example of a no good chicken shit small town revenue collecting motherfucker.

And you have a problwm with that why?

Link Posted: 10/11/2007 8:28:27 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And you have a problwm with that why?

You can't see the problem with that?
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 8:30:02 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

wow, I read that one and thought I have never seen a cop right there and I travel Hawkins from one end to the other ALL the time.  

I live in Fairway Oaks, right off of Hawkins. Since the construction on the Loop has began a lot of traffic is on Hawkins and a lot of those people haul ass. The police are doing a pretty good job slowing them down IMHO.

In fact as I pulled up to Bill Owens on Hawkins today, Radar [it's the nickname of one of Longview's finest] pulled up on his bike across from me.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 8:35:19 AM EDT
[#15]

He was doin it for revenue generation not safety.  As soon as the lights came on all the traffic entering the school zone slowed down.  The traffic that had already entered the zone before the lights started flashing continued on at the posted speed.  The chicken shit motherfucker mentioned above goes around the traffic that is doing 20, using the oncoming lane, at a relative high speed compared to the other traffic on the road at the time, just so he can pull over the car doing 35.

Link Posted: 10/11/2007 8:38:33 AM EDT
[#16]

We technically have one of these in Murphy on Betsy Lane. It says times only, no mention of school days. The cops can pull you over on a Sunday morning or afternoon if you're over the school zone limit during the posted times even though it's not even a school day.

Link Posted: 10/11/2007 1:22:49 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

We technically have one of these in Murphy on Betsy Lane. It says times only, no mention of school days. The cops can pull you over on a Sunday morning or afternoon if you're over the school zone limit during the posted times even though it's not even a school day.

Which is why we have courts, and judges and stuff.
I know the community colleges around here have classes at odd hours, and on weekends. You might find those school zones lights flashing at odd hours, and on weekends.

Link Posted: 10/11/2007 1:30:32 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just how would you know just how fast the car was going, or why the Officer stopped it?
How do you know if the driver of that car got a citation for speeding, 35 in a 20?
Or was it by chance YOU?
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 2:16:00 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just how would you know just how fast the car was going, or why the Officer stopped it?
How do you know if the driver of that car got a citation for speeding, 35 in a 20?
Or was it by chance YOU?

The officer is simply betting the ticket isn't fought in court...any judge worth his bench will see the entrapment of selective timing.  Unless the officer flubs the time.

People wonder why I travel with my GPS on tracking.  And if I get caught in a similar situation, not only is there the speed data but VERY ACCURATE time stamping.

By law, the school speed zone is only in effect when flashing.  The vehicle must cross the line with it flashing for a violation.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 2:28:46 PM EDT
[#20]
I looked at the one for my area and some of those places and well they are just plain whining for getting caught going way too fast.

I especially liked the one they labeled a speed trap yet the only reason any officer actually runs traffic there is because of the jackasses who love to do 60-65 or faster down a narrow 3 lane downtown (which 30 or 35 anyway and it's a whopping 5 blocks long) street and then run the redlights all the way down and then run a final red light near the end at an intersection with a major thoroughfare through the city.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 3:35:33 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Which is why we have courts, and judges and stuff.
I know the community colleges around here have classes at odd hours, and on weekends. You might find those school zones lights flashing at odd hours, and on weekends.

Has nothing to do with odd hours here, it's an elementary school. I checked with a council person and they said they are working on getting flashing lights and a sign that states speeds when lights flashing, in the mean time knowing how Murphy cops are this is an open invitation to a ticket.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 6:14:15 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or was it by chance YOU?

The officer is simply betting the ticket isn't fought in court...any judge worth his bench will see the entrapment of selective timing.  Unless the officer flubs the time.

People wonder why I travel with my GPS on tracking.  And if I get caught in a similar situation, not only is there the speed data but VERY ACCURATE time stamping.

By law, the school speed zone is only in effect when flashing.  The vehicle must cross the line with it flashing for a violation.

You really should stop with the legal opinions.  They are consistently wrong.

The school zone is in effect during the hours posted. A light is not neccesary.  Most do not even HAVE one.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:09:42 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or was it by chance YOU?

The school zone is in effect during the hours posted. A light is not neccesary.  Most do not even HAVE one.  

Not a legal opinion just an observation of fact - There are many schools zones in the Tarrant county area that do not have any posted hours only flashing lights.

If there are no times posted at the site in question the officer may be within the law, I don't know. But either way it is my opinion that the vast majority of the general public not looking at the world through blue tinted lenses would most definitely not support his actions as described.

No legal opinions here but the public still has a right to discuss how public servants enforce the law, right?

Respectfully,
J-K
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 8:50:33 PM EDT
[#24]
The irony on arfcom when it comes to peace officers is quite funny (sarcasm)

When there is a post about a cop getting shot or hurt or whatever, there is tons of support.   Everyone is quick to offer prayers.  

Yet when cops do there job, we are all quick to bash on them.   They are for the most part doing what they are paid to do.

Are there bad cops that are just out to get you?  Yes.  Are there bad lawyers? yes.  Are there bad real estate appraisers? yes.  Are there bad oil filed workers or highway dept workers, or trash collectors, or whatever else?  yes.   But in general, most are good.  

Instead of assuming cops are just out to get you, why not just assume they are doing what their bosses tell them to do?   There job description includes stopping people who are breaking the law.  Breaking the law includes speeding.   If I choose to speed, then I take the risk of getting caught and paying the price.   It's the law.   Do I speed?  Heck yeah, everyday, all the time!   Do I expect the cop that catches me to let me go because I'm a nice person and not out to hurt anyone?  Heck no.   I broke the law and it's the cops job to stop me from breaking the law.  Are all laws right and fair?  Heck no, but that's life.   I have NEVER been ugly to a cop pulling me over.  I was even nice to the one that gave me a ticket for a "hollywood stop" at a little stop sign when I was late to CHURCH even when there was no other vehicle in sight!   I was pissed because I thought he should be doing something more productive than stopping a guy on his way to church when I wasn't endagering anyone else, yet at the same time, I did break the law so I took it like a man and paid my ticket.

Link Posted: 10/12/2007 4:25:38 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or was it by chance YOU?

Not a legal opinion just an observation of fact - There are many schools zones in the Tarrant county area that do not have any posted hours only flashing lights.

If there are no times posted at the site in question the officer may be within the law, I don't know. But either way it is my opinion that the vast majority of the general public not looking at the world through blue tinted lenses would most definitely not support his actions as described.

No legal opinions here but the public still has a right to discuss how public servants enforce the law, right?

Respectfully,
J-K

You can discuss anything you want.  I don't see the point of having an UNEDUCATED and INACCURATE  discussion.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 5:38:29 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Next thing you know there's gonna be a mandated poo poo census

Better a census than a colonoscopy... that would go rough on some of the poo poo's
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 5:40:28 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 6:39:01 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

<Snip>

Quoted:

Respectfully,
J-K

Quoted:
You can discuss anything you want.  I don't see the point of having an UNEDUCATED and INACCURATE  discussion.

John, I know you don't see the point but please indulge me as I believe I have a fair and polite question and it is relevant to the direction this thread has taken:

If a school zone only has a flashing light and no times posted and a driver enters it before the light flashes but is still in the zone when it does start flashing, (even though the driver could not see this) he could or should be ticketed?

Thanks,
J-K
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 6:47:23 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
<Snip>

Respectfully,
J-K

John, I know you don't see the point but please indulge me as I believe I have a fair and polite question and it is relevant to the direction this thread has taken:

If a school zone only has a flashing light and no times posted and a driver enters it before the light flashes but is still in the zone when it does start flashing, (even though the driver could not see this) he could or should be ticketed?

Thanks,
J-K

No.  think of it like an intersection. As long as you cross the stop line before the light goes red you are good to go.

I highly doubt the claimed event happened however, why go to all the trouble  when people are speeding in shcool zones on a continous basis anyway? it's not like they are scarce.

Link Posted: 10/12/2007 7:18:19 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

No.  think of it like an intersection. As long as you cross the stop line before the light goes red you are good to go.

I highly doubt the claimed event happened however, why go to all the trouble  when people are speeding in shcool zones on a continous basis anyway? it's not like they are scarce.

Thanks, for the reply, I do not know the poster who made the claim but if you do or have reason to doubt his credibility, I take you at your word. If you don't have knowledge then I think you have made a very jaded statement about him.

Not everyone outside of the law enforcement fraternity is a liar, and not everyone in it is of upstanding character either.

However I do agree with your logic that an officer would have no shortage of legitimate opportunities to write tickets unless traffic completing stopped in his jurisdiction.

Respectfully,

J-K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top