Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2007 4:24:13 PM EDT
*Well, thank you all for the info you gave me, but I didn't get the job. I've still in the running for a couple positions in San Antonio though, so we'll see what happens.*

I'm looking for a change and I've been applying for jobs all over the country, seeing what I end up getting offered.

Corpus Christi came up on my list so I've been looking for info online.

Anyone mind telling me about it?
What do you like about the place?
What don't you like?
Does Texas have room for one more freedom loving, anti-liberal individualist?
More importantly, I'm 27 and single, how are the women down there?
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 7:08:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I've been there numerous times but not in a long time. It use to be nice and you are close fairly close to South Padre....spring break...college chickee snax.

It might've changed though.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 7:20:58 PM EDT
[#2]
corpus is a cool place.  it's more of a beach town than anything else.  cheap to live there and depending on where you end up if you don't mind driving a little ways you can live in Rockport or Port A.  both of which are laid back beach communities.  there are many good restaurants and bars.  lots of girls, beach babes etc.  safe place to raise a family.  good wade and beach fishing plus hunting.

its' really sunny, lots of fresh air on the gulf coastal plain.  
but i am comparing it to Houston which is a hole.        
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 7:22:48 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
corpus is a cool place.  it's more of a beach town than anything else.  cheap to live there and depending on where you end up if you don't mind driving a little ways you can live in Rockport or Port A.  both of which are laid back beach communities.  there are many good restaurants and bars.  lots of girls, beach babes etc.  safe place to raise a family.  good wade and beach fishing plus hunting.

its' really sunny, lots of fresh air on the gulf coastal plain.  
but i am comparing it to Houston which is a hole.        

I think hell might would be a better place to live than Houston

Wait what the hell am I talking about I live in Beaumont
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 9:42:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Its one of the fastest growing areas in the country.  Seems to be plenty of job ops, too.

Yeah, theres a big beach feel to it.  Plenty of low-traffic beach areas to hang out in.  Pay no mind to the doobie smokers on the Island.  The Parks and Wildlife folks don't!  

TAMUCC (Texas A&M satellite school) is also a big driving factor of the town now, as well.  Its made Corpus Christi start to become a big time college town and its only going to become more-so, as the school is creating a football program.  should come online in a couple years.

As far as cities go, CC is not a bad place to live.  I lived there for a couple years while going to school and I still make it back twice a month or so.

However, Corpus Christi also has a liberal flavor to it.  Not nearly like Austin, but it is there.

Pros:
- Small town feel with large city amenities.
- Great access to beach/ fishing activities.
- Plenty of places to shoot (Starry Range is cool)
- Great hunting opportunities less than an hour drive away.  The local radio personalities have shows all about hunting and shooting sports and other fun guy stuff.

Cons:  

- Fubar'ed up entrances/exits from interstate spur causing some pretty messed up traffic at certain exits.
- Growing liberal presence in the city.  Witness the recent indoor smoking ban at resturaunts.
- Seasonal Hurricane danger.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 9:52:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the input guys. I think I'll apply and see what happens.

ETA: I live in Medford, OR and the area around here is mostly conservative but there has been a HUGE shift to the left in local politics as more Californians keep moving here. If Corpus Christi only has a small liberal element it probably feel much more conservative than where I currently live.

We just had an indoor smoking ban passed here too. Freaking commies.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 2:09:58 PM EDT
[#6]
sorry I'm late

Corpus Christi is "home sweet home" for me....  for the last 39 years...  was born and raised here.

What do I like about the place?  

It's a fairly laid-back atmosphere for the most part.  As has been said, it's a growing "city" that still has a "small town" feel.  The "demographic" makeup is about 50/50 hispanic/caucasian.  Not much "racial" stuff.  Everyone gets along for the most part.  

It's a very "outdoorsy" place.  Hot and humid for most of the year.  Breezy/windy, except in July/August...  it gets still and hot(ter).  Somewhat mild winter.  Great hunting nearby:  Deer, feral hog, dove, quail, waterfowl, etc....  Great fishing right outside your front door, both inshore and offshore.  You never know what you might see when you're out on the water.  The inshore fishing is good even if you don't own a boat as the Laguna Madre (bay between the mainland and the barrier island "Padre Island") is very shallow and can be wade fished for miles from just about any point that you enter it....  Fishing from "sit-on-top" kayaks is also gaining popularity.  Fishing the surf at Padre Island is also very popular.  You'd be surprised what is out there sharing the water with ya'.

Here are some links to a few local fishing websites/boards:

Corpus Fishing dot com

Breakaway USA

Corpus Beach dot com

What don't I like?

Insurance in Nueces County might be more costly than what you're accustomed to.  Not sure why that is, but it is...  I'm basing that observation mostly on my experience with motorcycles and comparing what people are paying for similar coverage around the country....  

There is (in my perception) a growing gang problem/presence.  There have been several instances in the news lately regarding late-night stabbings as the bars close down...  driveby shootings in the less desirable neighborhoods...  and "tagging" is prevalent almost everywhere you go...  fuckin' kids and their spraypaint/sharpies

IMHO The City Council has always seemed to have "tunnel vision" regarding the budgeting of my tax dollars.  They always seem to have a "pet project" on the table aimed at catering to the tourists that flock here...  but they forget that there is a city infrastructure to maintain also...  I would like to see them spend more of "our money" on projects that directly benefit "US", the residents of this fine city.  

Does Texas have room for one more freedom loving, anti-liberal individualist?

absolutely!  Bring it.  There are a few liberals roaming the streets here...  probably close to 50/50...
There are many folks here with good, old-fashioned conservative values and beliefs.  There are also many that watch too much MTV...  and have their beliefs dictated to them without a clue...  

As with any other "city"...  you will find some folks here that have the "sense of entitlement", and are proud of it too

More importantly, I'm 27 and single, how are the women down there?

Same as they are everywhere else...  Lotta "gold-diggers" out there...  still some goodn's out there too...  They're just harder to pick out of the herd.  All in all, there are plenty to go 'round...  All flavors and sizes.  Have a look at myspace or some of the "love-finder" webpages...  plug in zip code 78413, 404, 411 to see what's out there...  

some local talent

Here are a few more informational websites for ya':

demographics

more demographics

demographics++ by zip code

local newspaper

kaizoku, hope that helps ya'.  Lemme know if there is anything more specific that you'd like to know and I'll do what I can to provide accurate info.

What kinda work are you looking for?
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 2:23:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 5:21:58 AM EDT
[#8]
The ability to speak Spanish is helpful.

ETA:  CC is home to the WWII aircraft carrier USS Lexington.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top