Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/7/2007 6:01:42 AM EDT
We're getting there guys. Had a big phone interview last night with Exec VP and one of the co-founders.

They're arranging a weekend in Waco for me and the missus with a one day FTF interview on a Monday or Friday.

I think they're serious!!

Yahoo!! - Gotta get a new suit and get spruced up.

I'm NOT screwing this up - I may never have to start the snow-blower again, other than to sell it!!

Any recommendations of what to see while in town? If it's the weekend of OCT 20th the wife is going to want to see the Longhorns/Baylor game. Good luck on tickets.

prambo - hopefully future Texas resident

Hello Texas,

I'm presently in upstate NY and have a very strong possibility of getting a good position in Waco. The place is heavily involved with wastewater analysis and DoD connected.

Just the idea of leaving The People's Democratic Republic of NY is enough, but any input on how it is to live and work in the Waco area would be appreciated.

I've only been in Texas for USAF basic at Lackland in the 70's.

So, Texicans, whatever info you can give would be welcome, including CCW, EBR etc.

Thanks in advance.

prambo
Link Posted: 9/7/2007 6:16:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Find a nice country home outside the city and enjoy. I avoid most of "downtown" like any other major city.
Link Posted: 9/7/2007 7:40:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/7/2007 10:01:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Waco it a rathole for the most part but the decent people there seem to try to pretend it isn't.  Out of the city is better, but you need to drive around the town some before deciding for yourself.
Link Posted: 9/7/2007 11:33:54 AM EDT
[#4]
I work in Waco and live just outside of town in Woodway. Send me a message with your questions, I'll be glad to help you out.
BTW.....just like anywhere else, parts of Waco is a ratshole. For the most part, Waco and the surrounding area has lots to offer. The first thing you're gonna love is how much house you can buy here. Let me put it to you this way, if I lived in NY, there'd be no way I could afford the 2500+ sq ft house I live in now.

Send me a message
Link Posted: 9/7/2007 1:03:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I did 3 mos working in Waco this spring. It's not bad at all. You have you choice of 3 good ranges nearby, including Tiger Valley which has training classes, tactical training bays, and a 1000 yard known distance range.

If the culture shock doesn't get you, you'll like Waco. LordShogun is a good guy and it appears he's willing to show you the ropes. Count your blessings.
Link Posted: 9/7/2007 4:39:39 PM EDT
[#6]
There are some very nice neighborhoods that are affordable, there is no such thing as rush hour around most of the city, it's not too busy.  I went to Baylor.  Around the Baylor bubble can be a little rough, but I think it is a nice place overall.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2007 7:09:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Its a nice town that rolls upthe sidewalks at night.

Very Southern baptist and sleepy.

I was going to call it a shithole, but its not.  Its just boring.

Great ranges.

Gun friendly.

Better than any place in New York.
Link Posted: 9/7/2007 8:14:48 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Its a nice town that rolls upthe sidewalks at night.

Very Southern baptist and sleepy.

I was going to call it a shithole, but its not.  Its just boring.

Great ranges.

Gun friendly.

Better than any place in New York.

I agree with SC.  

I did consulting work for a  company for 6 months there recently.  Some of the locals are running on a different clock, but there are some nicely modern areas as well.  Most folks are very nice.  It seems to be an area that doesn't really want to grow.  It is happy where it is.

Like anywhere else, there are definately areas to avoid but you will figure that out after a couple of visits.

You can get a lot of home there for relatively little $.
Link Posted: 9/9/2007 6:05:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks a lot guys - looking better with every passing day.

LordShogun - sent an IM with questions, hope it gets through - thanks for your offer, it is appreciated.

prambo
Link Posted: 9/9/2007 6:48:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Uh, yeah, Waco's a real crapper.  Here's the view out my back deck...

Link Posted: 9/9/2007 7:43:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Is tha tlake Waco?
Link Posted: 9/10/2007 6:47:00 AM EDT
[#12]
dmjung,

I gotta pay bigtime to vacation at places with a view like that.

Come on - offer me the job -come on, I dare ya! - Please!!!

Thanks again guys.

prambo
Link Posted: 9/10/2007 9:11:56 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Is tha tlake Waco?

Yes, that's Lake Waco looking across to Speegleville Park.  The shoreline is owned by the Corp of Engineers so the likelihood of development is extremely low.  That picture is noteworthy because of the plume of smoke off on the horizon...that's a railroad accident out at Crawford so Bush's ranch is off in that direction.

Here's the rathole my youngest daughter has to wake up to...

The prior evening picture would be 90 degrees to the left of this one and to right behind the trees would be the dam and airport off a mile or two (or three).

Every city, including Waco, has places that no one would want to live in if they had a choice.  If I wasn't already here, I'd probably have a place out in the county.
Link Posted: 9/10/2007 9:13:58 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
dmjung,

Thanks again guys.

prambo

Know anything about computers, networks, software development and/or the medical/health industry?
Link Posted: 9/10/2007 9:18:05 AM EDT
[#15]
I mispoke, the last picture isn't of a rathole.  It's actually of a fox den where some foxes raised a litter last year.  I haven't seen them in awhile so I guess they've moved on.
Link Posted: 9/10/2007 9:37:25 AM EDT
[#16]
So who was speegleville anyway?

I always wondered where that name came from.
Link Posted: 9/10/2007 11:26:06 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
dmjung,

Thanks again guys.

prambo

Know anything about computers, networks, software development and/or the medical/health industry?

Nothing much about computers but I'm in microbiology/molecular biology/biochemistry. Mostly a parasitologist. Jack of all trades, master of a couple.

Waco is looking good, hoping this goes forward quickly. Thanks for the pics - looks like a nice area.

prambo
Link Posted: 9/10/2007 2:57:22 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Thanks a lot guys - looking better with every passing day.

LordShogun - sent an IM with questions, hope it gets through - thanks for your offer, it is appreciated.

prambo

I got your IM and thought I'd share here so others can see what sleepy lil Waco has to offer:
First, I recommend you visit this website because I may miss a few things:
Waco Tourism website

Housing is very affordable in the Waco area. I purchased a 2500+ sq ft 36 year old brick home for $105,000 4 years ago. Typical newer homes in the Woodway, Hewitt, Lorena, McGregor and Speagleville areas average about $130,000 for approximately 1800 sqt foot.

I would check those areas on Realtor.com

Public transportation is nearly non-existent except for inside Waco City limits. I've never used it but you can get more info from City of Waco

Waco is centrally located which means a 90 mile drive to either Dallas Fort Worth or Austin. That's just a trip to the corner grocery store for us Texans

Texas is VERY gun friendly. Recent legislation has loosened laws concerning where and when you can carry a gun to include allowing unlicensed possesion of a handgun in your vehicle, on your property or property under your control.
Once you establish residency, you can walk into Walmart or a local hardware store, fill out some papers and walk out with a gun in less then 20 minutes.

If you don't like fishing, swimming, boating, water skiing, camping, Skeet, target shooting....Don't come to Waco.

If you prefer the hustle and bustle of the city or urban sprawl...don't come to Waco.

If you don't like strangers striking up friendly conversation or people that wave hello even though they don't know you....don't come to Waco

If you thrive on frigid snowy winters....don't come to Waco

If you don't want your neighbors coming over to greet you with some home cooking and a welcoming smile after you move into your new neighborhood....don't come to Waco

Waco area has three great gun ranges:
Central Texas Rifle & Pistol club
$50 a year membership plus NRA membership (You get the combo to the gate so you can come and go as you please.

Chandlers Lone Star Gun Range
$200 a year initially, $150 renewal. Same deal, you get the combo to the gate to let yourself in and out.

And the cream of the crop and the best damned range I've ever had the please of shooting at:
Tiger Valley
shoot out to 1,000 yards, pit servoce, shooting bays, clearing house, on site training.
Private range with lots of regularly scheduled events.

If you are a Veteran, Waco has a VA hospital or you can make the 40 minute drive to Ft Hood in Killeen.

Please let me know if I've left anything out.
Just to let you know, I left the suger white sands of Fort Walton beach Florida in 1999 and moved to Waco and I have not regtretted it one bit since I've moved here.

Link Posted: 9/10/2007 3:01:16 PM EDT
[#19]
dmjung, I think we're neighbors, I live off Bosque Blvd in Woodway and have almost the same view of the lake but I can see the twin bridges from my front yard.
Link Posted: 9/10/2007 3:18:44 PM EDT
[#20]
I live just 40 miles East on HWY 84 (Tiger Valley is my mid point ). I go to Waco often, lived there a few years, have family there.. I can say bad things about some of the areas, but I can good about alot of the areas. Its just like any other place you go. I think you'd enjoy the area.

Who says Waco is boring?!?! Live 1 week in my little po-dunk town, Waco is the place to go on Fri/Sat night..lol
Link Posted: 9/10/2007 4:31:33 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
dmjung, I think we're neighbors, I live off Bosque Blvd in Woodway and have almost the same view of the lake but I can see the twin bridges from my front yard.

I'm in Waco off Lake Shore Drive in the Mount Carmel water treatment plant area.  In the first picture, Speegleville Park proper is to the extreme left and I'm not sure I can see the twin bridges much, if at all.  Not visible in the evening, but just left of center in the picture would be the big radio control model aircraft field...we can just barely see the planes flying when they're running a show.

I'm originally from a small town (pop 1200) in Missouri near Cape Girardeau.  I transferred to Baylor in 1978 and ended up staying.  I do miss the rolling hills and "real" trees of the Ozarks, but I can't complain. :)
Link Posted: 9/11/2007 12:17:38 PM EDT
[#22]
LordShogun,

Thanks for all your efforts. Looks like an area we would really like and even retire in. If the deal goes down and we can get some range time the ammos on me!

Thanks to everyone else for their input - ARFCom is really a great bunch of people and this info is going to make the decision much easier if all works out.

Regardless, many thanks again and hope to meet a few of you someday.

prambo
Link Posted: 9/13/2007 6:16:15 PM EDT
[#23]
There is also the Waco Skeet & Trap Club Link Here if you're into that kind of thing.  It's supposedly one of the better skeet clubs in the country and is located right by the Waco Airport.  

I've driven by it hundreds of times, but have never actually been there...shooting at clays with 7.62 or 5.56 isn't allowed there.
Link Posted: 9/13/2007 7:09:38 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
dmjung,

Thanks again guys.

prambo

I do, and I'm looking.  What you got, I grew up in Gatesville and would love to be back in that area!!

Waco is a good place to live as long as you find a quiet spot along the outskirts.  Just don't go in Cameron Park after dark.
Link Posted: 9/25/2007 11:04:25 AM EDT
[#25]
BTT
Link Posted: 9/25/2007 12:58:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Is George's Bar still going strong?
Link Posted: 9/25/2007 1:58:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Georges is still going strong, especially during football season.  I've lived in Waco for just over seven years now and can't complain.  Prambo,  I think you'll like it here once you get to know the area.

We might have to get all the Waco guys together for a shoot one of these days.  What do you say fellas?

Marineinthewoods
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 11:19:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Prambo: did you get the job yet?

I may also be looking for a job down there next year.  Is it possible to live near Waco and work at Ft. Hood?  Or is that too far of a commute.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 4:43:28 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Prambo: did you get the job yet?

I may also be looking for a job down there next year.  Is it possible to live near Waco and work at Ft. Hood?  Or is that too far of a commute.  

It is very possible to work on FT. Hood and live "near" Waco.  Gatesville is about 30 miles from Waco and you could live there, or you could live in Temple or Belton.  I've thought about applying for a few jobs on post myself.  

Gatesville has a population of 15K.  Belton is about 7-8K.  Temple and Waco are close to the same size.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top