Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/16/2007 4:21:27 PM EDT
How hard is it to get a silencer? If you can buy a firearm, does it automatically mean you can buy a silencer? I know you have to have a Sheriff sign off on the paperwork. Do they ask you why you want one? My only answer would be that I think it would be cool to have one, and ofcourse less sound to damage my ears.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 4:28:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 4:53:32 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
How hard is it to get a silencer? If you can buy a firearm, does it automatically mean you can buy a silencer? I know you have to have a Sheriff sign off on the paperwork. Do they ask you why you want one? My only answer would be that I think it would be cool to have one, and ofcourse less sound to damage my ears.

You have to be 21.  On the Form 4, it asks for the prurpose of the item.  I put "For any and all lawful purposes."

Go here to look at forms and learn more:  TitleII.com
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 5:05:19 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

It's not hard. Get one; you won't regret it.

Link Posted: 8/16/2007 5:20:56 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Be prepaired to thread every barrel that can be threaded.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 5:22:47 PM EDT
[#5]

You have to be 21.

You have to be 21 to buy one from a dealer.  You can buy one at 18 from an in-state non-dealer.  Not unlike a handgun in that regard.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 5:26:31 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

You have to be 21.

You have to be 21 to buy one from a dealer.  You can buy one at 18 from an in-state non-dealer.  Not unlike a handgun in that regard.

Good forums for Sale ads are the Arfcom EE NFA board and silencertalk.com NFA for sale board.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 6:25:40 PM EDT
[#7]
In which county are you?
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 7:28:36 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's rude to shoot without it... one for every gun
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 7:35:37 PM EDT
[#9]
do it!

I just paid for my first.  AAC M4-1000  
Just waiting for it to get to my "dealer".

Wanna race form 4's?
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 7:43:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Down here (Harris Co.), supressors are the #1 reason for people doing the "trust" thing, cause the local county LEO won't sign for them. Everything else is fine, but homey don't play that game.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 7:49:26 PM EDT
[#11]
yep, trust here too
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 8:23:43 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
yep, trust here too

Trust here also..........2 suppressors and 2 SBR's
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 8:29:25 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
do it!

I just paid for my first.  AAC M4-1000  
Just waiting for it to get to my "dealer".

Wanna race form 4's?

+1

they cashed my check on the 9th
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 8:44:52 PM EDT
[#14]
You may want to look in the NFA for sale items on Websites like www.subguns.com.

If you watch, you should be able to pick one up for less than $400 plus the transfer tax.

Keith Norman
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 8:50:08 PM EDT
[#15]
What is the "TRUST" thing, you all keep talking about? I am still a little new to all this.

By the way, I live in Dallas County. I dont know if Mesquite PD will be big on the item though...
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 8:53:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Don't forget about your local SOT/manufacturers as well.  Keith made a .22 can for a friend of mine here in NE TX that ain't bad at all.   Our local SOT in Longview makes an integral that beats the SWR integral 10/22 barrel.   The big names aren't the only games in town.  

The trust route is great for most.  I personally chose to do the LLC thing for a few other reasons so there are other options.   My LLC has 8 stamps with 3 cans.  

There is a big problem with buying a silencer.  You will find that shooting any of your weapons without a silencer tends to suck.  You will need to buy more than 1.  Of course then shooting semi becomes boring and you will need to buy a machinegun or two.  Then you will find the semi's you have are just too long and you will need to register a couple of SBR's.  Then you will find that DD's become a real thrill.   Oh, and after that, you will need an SBS or AOW....  Damn, it just never ends.  This hobby sucks on my wallet like a gay vacumm cleaner!  
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 8:55:14 PM EDT
[#17]
waaaaaay too many abreviations for me... lol
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 9:09:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Here in Harris County, I have seen many customers go the trust route. I did not like it at first - I thought is was a cheap way out. Boy, was I ever wrong. Small Arms Review magazine ran an article a few months back about using revocable living trusts to acquire firearms. FYI, the National Firearms Act of 1934 even listed trusts in the original law. I see three distinct advantages to revocable living trusts as compared to a corporation or LLC:

First, there is no filing fee; the filing fee for a LLC in Texas is $300.00.

Second, there is no annual paperwork to keep the trust "alive"; a corporation or a LLC requires annual paperwork to be timely filed. If the paperwork isn't filed, the entity can be terminated by the state. If that happened, you have an illegal weapon if the corp or LLC was the legal, registered owner.

Finally, privacyt. When I filed my LLC, I was overwhelmed by solicitations of every kind by mail. As if that is not bad enough, any weapons posessed by the corporation or trust are generally subject to annual taxation. The state knows who you are, so if they wanted to do so, they could come-a-knocking for some monies.

For specific tax or legal questions about  going the trust, LLC, or coprpoate route, I recommend you speak with an attorney or a CPA. You don't have to do so, but if this is your first dance, you may find it beneficial to do so.

Keith
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 9:37:30 PM EDT
[#19]
I would not do it!
It is to scary!
What?
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 9:51:22 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
What is the "TRUST" thing, you all keep talking about? I am still a little new to all this.

By the way, I live in Dallas County. I dont know if Mesquite PD will be big on the item though...

IMHO, I wouldn't do the trust. Despite the conventional wisdom and naysayers, it is no problem to get a signature for a Form 4 or a Form 1 in Dallas County. I know at least 6 different individuals who have gotten signatures this year.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top