Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2007 9:31:14 AM EDT
http://www.subguns.com/boards/mgmsg.cgi?read=594162

Just got a copy of this from a friend. Don't know if this is old news here but thought it best to post up for all to see...I was sent a full Acrobat copy of the bill and it mimics the original 94 AWB.

This bill is in the first step in the legislative process. Introduced bills go first to committees that deliberate, investigate, and revise bills before they go to general debate. The majority of bills never make it out of committee.

110th U.S. Congress (2007-2008)
H.R. 1022: To reauthorize the assault weapons ban, and for other purposes

The bill has been referred to the following committees:
House Judiciary

Bill Overview
Introduced: Feb 13, 2007
Sponsor:
Rep. Carolyn McCarthy [D-NY](no cosponsors)
Cosponsors
Cosponsorship information sometimes is out of date.
Last Action: Feb 13, 2007: Referred to the House Committee on the Judiciary.

Link Posted: 2/20/2007 11:02:40 AM EDT
[#1]
This bill is much worse than the 1994 ban... you could easily interpret it to ban Cali-legal rifles like the FAB-10. On top of that, it bans rifles like the Mini-14, SKS, Hi-Point Carbine and M1 Carbine by name. Not only does it ban just about every centerfire semi-auto out there... it is written so poorly that it could be interpreted to treat things like an AR15 pistol grip as a banned assault weapon all on its own. There is so much gray area in this bill that even McCarthy doesn't know how it would end up being interpreted. That is a lot of power to hand over to ATF.
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 12:24:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 12:37:23 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Link to write your house rep.

DO IT

Did it.

Who's next?

R.
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 12:57:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I just did it!
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 1:24:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Done. Here we go again.

Molon Labe
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 1:25:33 PM EDT
[#6]
me too. Hope it helps .
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 1:36:36 PM EDT
[#7]
sent it -- with pride.
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 1:38:19 PM EDT
[#8]
While we are talking to our local reps here is some info to use.
I found an interesting website. which tracks website traffic. I wonder if politicians would be interetsed to see some of the information.

http://www.quantcast.com/ar15.com
AR15.com has over 141,000 unique viewers per month (can you say voters?) It is in the top 15k most visited of all webpages they track!

http://www.quantcast.com/thehighroad.org
THR.org ranks in at 6170th of all websites with over 322,000 voters viewing it per month.

http://www.quantcast.com/gunboards.com
gunboards has almost 74,000 unique viewers per month

http://www.quantcast.com/gunbroker.com
gb has over 530,000 viewers per month and ranks in the top 5k websites at #3471

http://www.quantcast.com/falfiles.com
FAlfiles has 12,388 I think that number is low, but throw it in there.

If you go through and add them up, there are lots of people who are internet savvy and legal gun owners. You guys can name probably 20 other sites I missed. Look at the demographics. We are higher than avargae income. Have better than average education and are mostly white men, but that is not our fault. We are voters. We need somebody to get this information together to show to politicians. All they care about is looking good to the majority, not doing whats right. Poor Bish has tried to lead with his conscience and they want to crucify him for it. It is time we let them know how many of us there are. We are not criminals, we are not unemployed, we are not uneducated despite what the dems would have the uninformed non-gunowners believe. We are lawful, tax paying individuals who, as a hobby, and for lawful personal defense as well as occasional hunting, own guns.
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 2:31:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Done....
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 5:23:49 PM EDT
[#10]
email sent to vote "No".
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 6:05:15 PM EDT
[#11]
I did also -

OUCH
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 6:13:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 6:25:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Email sent to my representative.  

Thank you for posting the hotlink for the site to look them up.
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 7:01:34 PM EDT
[#14]
and nobody will really do anything about it..... funny enough. It'll probably pass if it comes up for a vote.
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 7:29:46 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
and nobody will really do anything about it..... funny enough. It'll probably pass if it comes up for a vote.

Don't admit defeat before it happens!  Look at what happened to Zumbo and how his life has changed in the last week based on the AR loving public...  while there are many sheep that will go along with anything, it doesn't hurt to remind your US rep that the 1994 ban cost the Democratic party control of Congress in 1994 - (heck, even slick Willy said so!).  

In my case, Ciro Rodriguez won by a fluke in district 23, and while he sounds like the normal demo representative, the one thing I'm sure he wants is to get reelected.  I hope to remind all reps that messing with gun rights is the fastest way to election defeat.
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 8:15:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Done.

What did you guys say? Just curious as to what you guys wrote.
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 8:17:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Not my 'best' effort but not bad...and the staffers only put down for/against tick marks anyway...

RE: H.R. 1022: To reauthorize the assault weapons ban, and for other purposes

Dear Honorable Representative Rodriguez,

I am writing to urge you to vote against any bill, such as the recently introduced HR 1022, that attempts to remove the rights of US citizens.  This bill attempts to ban pretty much every modern firearm, and creates criminal penalties for law abiding citizens.  

My issue with this bill (and all 'gun ban' bills) is three fold:

1) Honest citizens are the only ones affected.  Criminals will not abide by 'gun laws' -if they have already decided to murder someone, what of an additional 10 years sentence?  If they want a gun, they will either steal one, smuggle one over the border, or buy one from a black market dealer.

2) Since honest citizens follow laws, they will be stripped of the God Given rights the founding fathers protected by writing the 2nd Amendment, while criminals continue to break the law.

3) The use of 'assault weapons' in crimes is already low - most violent crimes are not committed by 'assault weapons' but ordinary household implements or common handguns.  The 1994 gun ban did not prevent the use of 'assault weapons' in crimes, as evidenced by the lack of a spike in such crimes after the expiration in 2004.  The only thing it did cost is many representatives and senators their seats in the 1994 elections.

I am not a single issue voter, however voting against bills such as this one, should it reach the House floor, and voting for gun rights and the rights of law abiding American Citizens, will go miles towards my support and those of my colleagues.

Sincerely,

ARTX
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 8:42:02 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Link to write your house rep.

DO IT

Done, thanks for the link.   Also, thanks to the person who posted the sample letter.   I basically wrote something similar but I'll tell ya what, I bet there will be a bigger response if there is a sample letter to copy and paste like that.   It's a time thing.  How much extra time do you have each day?   See what I mean.  

Link Posted: 2/20/2007 9:46:06 PM EDT
[#19]
DONE
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 11:48:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Rep Marchant....You've got mail.
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 3:23:56 AM EDT
[#21]
I borrowed an modified a letter posted on FALFILES (now is no time to argue about 7.62 vs 5.56)
Here is what I sent, a bit longer, but the same idea. The name of your rep goes into the two blanks before you send it.

______________:

Recently, H. R. 1022 - a new "Assault Weapons" bill - was sent to the House Judiciary Committee. As a law-abiding citizen and firearms owner, I ask that you do whatever is needed to see that this resolution is defeated.

I realize that the issue of so-called "Assault Weapons" is a political hot-button - and one that often divides Republicans and Democrats. I ask, though, that as our elected representative that you please put aside any partisanship and stand only for what is best for our nation in this matter.

Un-manipulated FBI and BATFE statistics show that semiautomatic rifles are used in less than one percent of crimes. At the same time, these military-style rifles (none of which are fully-automatic, as often portrayed in popular entertainment and misreported in the news) are the very type of firearms that our forefathers sought to protect under the Second Amendment. The United States Supreme Court even used this same logic - that firearms suitable for military use are truly the *only* kind protected under the Second Amendment - in U.S. vs. Miller back in 1939.

A new "Assault Weapons" bill - just like the old one passed during the Clinton years - will do nothing to affect crime. In fact, it will only make criminals out of otherwise law-abiding, peace-loving, patriotic Americans.

The research is out there - gun laws do not reduce crime. And our founding fathers knew that, an armed citizenry is a part of what makes the difference between democracy and tyranny.

In our own national history, we refer to the "shot heard round the world". Do you remember what, exactly, prompted that first shot? It was the King's army coming to Concord for the purpose of confiscating military-style weapons - the contemporary equivalent to our modern-day "assault rifles". The Revolutionary War started over the refusal of the colonists to give up this one, ultimate, sacred right - the right to keep and bear arms and thereby resist the demands of a tyrant.

It was not the intent of the founding fathers for us to own only symbolic guns. Lawfully purchased guns do not constitute a significant number of weapons used in crimes. Though politically popular at times, anti-gun legislation has done little to affect crime rates or even the violence of crimes. Consider these points and do not support any legislation designed to appease those who want simple solutions to complex social problems. If you want to do something to reduce crime and violence, please consider alternatives such as meaningful education reforms and more support for our judicial system which is struggling to cope with the number of criminals violating our current laws.

__________, please see that this resolution is defeated.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 5:45:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Done...and thanks for doing the hard work for me ARTX.  :)
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 6:02:59 AM EDT
[#23]
hmmmm think I'll use that sample letter. that's pretty good!
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 6:13:15 AM EDT
[#24]
here is mine. simple..

To The Honorable Michael C. Burgess,

As a taxpayer and Veteran I strongly urge you to oppose HR 1022; this bill attempts to remove the rights of US citizen to own a firearm.

I will not support you if you support or vote for this bill.

Thank you
CB1
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 6:41:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 6:43:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 7:17:23 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Done.

What did you guys say? Just curious as to what you guys wrote.

Here's mine:

"Please vote against HR 1022 which reauthorizes the assault weapons ban. This bill is an unnessary encroachment of our Second Amendment rights, and did nothing to prevent crime during the ten years it was law."

Short and to the point.
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 7:37:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Done and done!
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 8:02:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Email sent.
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 9:02:35 AM EDT
[#30]
email sent!

Below is a link with the info to send Rep. Carolyn McCarthy [D-NY] an email to her district cronies. In addition to our own reps, send an email to the author so she knows just how her pesants feel about her ambitions!

http://www.subguns.com/boards/mgmsg.cgi?read=594223

Most of our elected officials no longer accept direct emails. Instead, browse to her House website (link in message above), then click the "Contact" link. A new window will open, enter '11530 + 3301' for the Zip+4 code. You'll then need to answer a short math question (1x1=, or similar, to keep out spammers). You can then input your message.

However, if you really want to get through, write a hand-written letter - they get far more attention.

Link Posted: 2/21/2007 9:42:46 AM EDT
[#31]
I emailed Chet Edwards & used the sample letter. I'd snail-mailed but my printer is garbage. Also forwarded the sample letter & www.house.gov/writerep/ link to a few friends.
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 3:39:05 PM EDT
[#32]
The bill is still in the Judiciary Committee.  Here is one way to contact the committee itself:

http://judiciary.house.gov/contact.aspx

and

202-225-3951

Link Posted: 2/22/2007 11:03:52 AM EDT
[#33]
I received a response from Rep. Gohmert.  I already knew he was pro-gun but it was nice to get a reply.  

Sent: Thursday, February 22, 2007 9:14 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Responding to your message

February 22 in the Year of our Lord 2007

Mr. Firebug

123 gunlovers drive

ammotown, TX 12345

Dear Mr. Firebug,

Thank you for contacting me regarding gun rights. I appreciate the benefit of your views on this issue. I oppose additional gun control and feel that current gun laws should be enforced so that firearms are kept out of the hands of criminals.

The Constitution's Second Amendment means what it says: A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. Whether one uses a firearm for hunting, sport shooting, personal protection, or another lawful reason, the Second Amendment clearly protects our individual right to keep and bear arms. I will work to support the rights of gun owners who use firearms responsibly while working to punish those who break the law.

Once again, thank you for contacting my office. I appreciate having the opportunity to serve you in the United States House of Representatives.

With kindest regards, I am

Very Truly Yours,

Hon. Louie Gohmert
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 11:36:58 AM EDT
[#34]
i spoke with one of john carter's aides this morning and was assured that he would not support this bill
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 11:48:55 AM EDT
[#35]
Great news from Rep. Gohmert since he is on the Judiciary Committee and can help us kill H.R. 1022 before it even gets off the ground.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 4:56:37 PM EDT
[#36]
tag
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 4:57:09 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Get it done.

I'm gonna keep about 50 stripped lowers stashed away as they'll be PRICELESS soon!

I'll take 5
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 7:47:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Keep up the good work, folks. Communicating with your elected representatives is the only way we have to fight this. Nobody else is going to do it for us.

Please, use one of three ways to contact them. (1) Letter by snail mail (2) Fax (3) The "Contact Us" link at their website.  They actually monitor all three of those.

Keep is simple...one or two paragraphs.  It's all about numbers...just let them know this is a very serious issue with you and how you want them to vote.

One other thing you can do is call friends and relatives and ask them to help whether they are gun owners or not. Call in the favors.  A lot of people will help if you just ask.  This issue is that important.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 4:33:48 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 9:02:46 PM EDT
[#40]
i'm not stocking up so I can sell stuff later, I'm stocking up so I'll have it available for me.  50 lowers is a bit on the "high side" to me, but I am getting some beretta 92 mags, and AR parts.  

If the bill goes out of committee, I think we're screwed.  Bush won't veto, I'm pretty sure.  Makes me sad to think about going through all this crap again, but it looks like if it passes, it will be here for good.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top