Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/1/2007 5:15:30 PM EDT
I read about a savage 112 single shot 300 Win Mag with 26" Heavy Barrel.  Can you get a target trigger reasonably priced, and how accurate can these be?  Was the 300 Mag used by the Mil.?
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 5:36:10 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I read about a savage 112 single shot 300 Win Mag with 26" Heavy Barrel.  Can you get a target trigger reasonably priced, and how accurate can these be?  Was the 300 Mag used by the Mil.?

Most of the Savages in current production come with the Accu-Trigger, which is user adjustable down to about 2.5lbs.  I have a 111 in .30-06 Spr that has the standard trigger.  Its about 4lbs, smooth and crisp.  I personally would not be inclined to replace it with a 3rd party trigger.  That said there are 3rd party triggers available for Savages.  Savage bolt actions have a reputation for outstanding out of the box acuracy.  I'm more than happy with the accuracy from mine, especially for the $$$.  I've never heard of .300 Win Mag being used officially by the military.  As far as I know the issue rounds went from .30-06 Spr to .308 Win/7.62x51 NATO and have stayed that way.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 6:04:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I have made up my mind - I am getting one in 30-06  that is in a local gun shop.

Great price -  yipppeeee  for me.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 6:17:07 PM EDT
[#3]
If I remember correctly, the army long distance shooting team uses .300WM. That may have been what he was thinking of.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 6:19:11 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

that is the question.  how accurate will yours be?  if it's not what you want who will do the rebarreling and other gun smithing to make it the way you want it?  when you shoot it out who will put on a new match barrel?  

all of these questions may point you to a rifle that stands almost alone when you are dealing with police and mil snipers.  what do they choose?  with few exceptions it's a variant of the Remington 700 action.  that is the direction i would point you.  buy a 700 and don't look for a cheep sniper rifle.  then buy good glass.      
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 6:50:04 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Most of the Savages in current production come with the Accu-Trigger, which is user adjustable down to about 2.5lbs.

I am far from knowledgeable when it comes to the long range accuracy rifles but I did want to mention that I shot the new Savage accu-trigger in a 22-250 and I was...well...I can't think of a really good way to put it, but I was EXTREMELY impressed.   Don't breathe too hard around it unless it is pointed down range when the line is HOT!
Hooray for Savage!
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 7:49:16 PM EDT
[#6]
My .02

If you want a Sniper Rifle . . . . . Then buy a Sniper Rifle.

If you want a build it your selfer then BRD works well. Anything else then you are either a smith or you will be shelling out some dough to one to do it for you. You could save some time and frustration and just buy the rifle you are after.

If you want a hell of an out of the box shooter with a fantastic trigger. Then Savage is the way to go but be sure it is a model with the Accutrigger. There are still a few that are made with out it.

Shop around a bit you have tons of options. Just depends on your price range and how far out you are planning to go.

Also the glass makes all the difference in the world.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top