Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/8/2006 11:06:05 AM EDT
I might be relocating to Waco from Arizona and had some general shooting questions regarding the Waco area.

To begin with, is there anywhere near Waco that you can shoot that is not a range but rather just out in the country on forest service property or BLM property etc (example: in Arizona you just drive out in the desert and find a place to shoot).

Secondly, if you can just go out in the sticks and shoot which way to head from Waco metro area??
Or, if you cannot go out and shoot in the country around Waco what types of ranges are available around the Waco area?  Such as, are there ranges out to 1000 yds for rifle that are open to shoot on without it being a designated match day, are such ranges full of assholes, or would i have free reign to do my own thing.

I guess what it boils down to is i'm concerned that if i move to the Waco area i'll lose the beauty of being able to shoot or do as i plese like i have grown accustomed to in Arizona.  I am able to drive out in desert and take my long range rifles and shoot all day out to 1200 plus yards or i can just go blast with my evil black guns if need be.  So if i moved to Waco would i lose all of this and get stuck with ranges controlled by assholes who make you stop shooting every 15 minutes so everyone can take a break etc and you cant shoot past 100 yds.  

So please fill me in as my true passion is long range shooting (800 yds plus) and the majority of my gun collection is for this niche and it would not make me happy to not be able to continue in this realm.

Thanks for the info
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:14:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 1:06:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I shoot at Chandlers in Valley Mills www.carlchandler.com , about a 20 minute drive out of Waco. Nice rolling hills surrounded by farmland. Fun place to shoot, not a whole bunch of rules as long as you're being safe. I shoot 300 yards there all the time, there is a 500 and 1200 yard backstop but I've never seen it being used other then for police and military sniper training (Carl is a sniper trainer)
Bring all your black rifles (assualt style weapons, they're all welcome there and if you have a class III, Carl allows full auto.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 1:09:12 PM EDT
[#3]
BTW, what's bringing you to Waco????
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:04:50 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
BTW, what's bringing you to Waco????

I work for the federal govt and might be taking a transfer to the Waco area and just wanted to make sure there was a place to go play as i was fearful that with the lack of federal property (forests and BLM property) that it might be hard to find a place to shoot that wasnt full of the range nazis i have grown to dislike.

The prices in Waco are amazing compared to Phoenix so I am definitely contemplating the move.

In reference to TX CCW; is it possible to get the paperwork started while i'm still an out of state resident so i have a permit waiting for me when i get there.  I presently have an AZ CCW and we have reciprocity so i'm sure i could piggy back off my AZ permit while i'm in the transition but would like a nice seamless transfer from one to the other so i dont have to go without being armed.

So any thoughts on the CCW??? and thanks for the assistance i really appreciate it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top