Posted: 4/6/2006 9:18:15 PM EDT
Shiner Bock or lone Star? Or other Texas made beer
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:46:20 PM EDT
[#1]
SHINER BOCK and other Shiner beers only for me

Shiner Beers
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 11:35:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Rogue007 and I have the same great taste in beer. If I am buying it is Shiner, if your buying make it cold.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 2:32:50 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Rogue007 and I have the same great taste in beer. If I am buying it is Shiner, if your buying make it cold.

Fuckin' A

speakin' which, I am getting some tonight........
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 2:42:10 AM EDT
[#4]
There is a micro-brew in Houston called St. Arnold's Brewing Company.  The "Lawnmower" beer is one of the best beers that I've ever had.  Real good stuff.  

Link to thier website...
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:21:35 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
There is a micro-brew in Houston called St. Arnold's Brewing Company.  The "Lawnmower" beer is one of the best beers that I've ever had.  Real good stuff.  

Link to thier website...

+1
Elissa IPA
Lawnmower Beer
Summer Pils
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:14:45 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link to thier website...

+1
Elissa IPA
Lawnmower Beer
Summer Pils

+2
Lawnmower
Amber Ale
Brown Ale
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:35:23 AM EDT
[#7]
When did shiner bock change their recipe?  It used to be much better 15ish years ago, now it tastes kinda soapy to me so I don't drink it much.

Celis gold was pretty good stuff too but I'm pretty sure they shut down years ago.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:53:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Schlitz, Jax or Perl
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:09:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:32:17 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Celis gold was pretty good stuff too but I'm pretty sure they shut down years ago.

Celis is no longer in production in Austin--the pricks at Miller bought out Pierre and then shut down the brewery after running it for a short time.  Really too bad for two reasons.  One, damn fine Texas-made brew.  Two, free beer after a tour of the brewery.

There is a bit of good news, though.  IIRC, Pierre's daughter purchased the rights to the recipes and now has a small brewery out of Michigan producing Celis White and Celis Pale Bock.  Unfortunately, those are the only two brews I've found that are available in Austin.  They have the Grand Cru and Raspberry on tap at the brewery.  And even more unfortunate is that the White doesn't quite have the same lovely taste as the version brewed in Austin in the early 90s.  Here's a link:  Link to Celis site

Real Ale Brewing Company, out of Blanco, does a few decent brews, but none seem to have quite the refinement of some of the quality microbrews to come out of the northwest.  I haven't yet tried their seasonal porter;  that might be a winner.

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:18:36 AM EDT
[#11]
PABST BLUE RIBBON!!! ... ok not Texas but Dennis Hopper mokes it look so tastey..
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:51:29 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Is this the BETTER 1/2 of the ROGUESTER ?????

Good to meet you .

JOE
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:52:14 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuckin' A

Some what ????  
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:53:36 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuckin' A

ROGUE
You need to PHOTOSHOP the EYEBALL
flip it and make it the RT's  icon..
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 3:23:05 PM EDT
[#15]
shiner
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 3:26:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Shiner.  But when im broke Miller Lite
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 3:27:39 PM EDT
[#17]
That sucks about Celis, I loved Celis Pale Bock.

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:43:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:46:44 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Shiner Bock!!!!!

Yeah Shiner ain't to bad.

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:54:25 PM EDT
[#20]
I have only had a few beers worse than Lone Star; they were the Nigerian domestics Star [lager] and Gulder [pilsner]....both laced with formaldehyde rather than making use of the modern technique of Pasteurization
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:17:39 PM EDT
[#21]
I like Shiner ok.  But I've recently discovered BJ's Brewery and even better than them, The Fredericksburg Brewing Co. in Fredericksburg, TX.  They have got some great seasonal and year-round microbrews and pretty good german food too.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:56:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Shiner Bock and I really like the Shiner 96 when I can find it. My daughter bought me a wooden case of it for Christmas this year and it's damn fine stuff.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:41:03 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Link to thier website...

+1. Love that brew, and I buy it anytime I see it.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:32:50 PM EDT
[#24]
ummm an open one?
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:44:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Tito's.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:58:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Lone Star ROCKS!!! It's changed! Now it's full bodied and TASTY!! ....and I have impecable taste!
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 9:44:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Did lone star get sold out to perl. I can get shiner up here but it has to be sold hot and at the liqure store. Okie BS Warmart sells shiner cold but it is 3.2  
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:14:34 AM EDT
[#28]
I'm suprised no one has mentioned the best beer ever made in Texas, Gilleys beer.  

Oh wait, some of you aren't old enough to remember that.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:28:48 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuckin' A

ROGUE
You need to PHOTOSHOP the EYEBALL
flip it and make it the RT's  icon..

GETSUM, me and roguetoad have no affililation.............thats funny though..........wait.........are you sayin im teh ghey? JK

she is going to get a account soon though, I have to set up another sbc account.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:51:58 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
When did shiner bock change their recipe?  It used to be much better 15ish years ago, now it tastes kinda soapy to me so I don't drink it much.

I use to hate beer until I started drinking Shiner Bock in my freshman year of collage at UT. Bock back then (1983) was made once a year and was a special run it was not able to be found very widely (was only available in long necks and kegs, which the UT student union sold for $1 a pitcher on Wednesday nights, to say the least I never made it to Thursday morning classes). When I transfered up to TTU (mostly because of the Shiner ) I found out that you could not get it in Lubbock. When ever the TTU/UT football game was in Lubbock a bunch of my UT friend would road trip it up with a PU filled with long neck cases of Shiner Bock. We had 2 couches built out of cases in our house just so we could store it. Shiner Bock got so popular that they started making it all the time and the qualitity changed since the old way to make it was from the dregs left from the normal Shiner batches, the new stuff is purposely made now and is not as "heavy" and full bodied.

Now for the correct answer to the original question "My favorite Texas beer is a free beer ", otherwise I prefer '83 vintage Shiner Bock.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 10:31:31 AM EDT
[#31]
My favorite free beer was always a Texas Pride...
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:49:59 PM EDT
[#32]
My favorite Texas beer is Bud Light, it is brewed in Houston. It may be a technicality, but the way I see it, it is just as Texan as I am.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 5:26:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 5:29:55 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
My favorite Texas beer is Bud Light, it is brewed in Houston.  

Having grown up in Houston, I have many fond memories of driving all the way across town twice a day at rush hour from West Houston (nearly Katy) all the way across town to Deep Park and Pasadena to work summer jobs at the refineries for Brown & Root (now KBR).

Always remember getting to I-10 just before the turn to the high 610 bridge over the infamous Houston Ship Channel and viewing the huge Budwieser complex plant. and thinking ....

...  "Brewed with Real Houston Ship Channel Water for a "unique" taste!!"

Hummm  "Clean, Crisp Refreshing??????"

Needless to say, not much Bud on my drinking list whenever a Shiner is close by!

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 5:59:18 AM EDT
[#35]
Spaten Helles ...... It aint Texan, but you can get it in little German Commuinites in Texas.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 5:05:58 PM EDT
[#36]
That Shiner 96 is some goood stuff. Just got a case of it.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:05:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Yes, iam sure they take water strait out of the ship channel to brew Budweiser. And I dont seem to understand the obsession with Shiner. Ive had it a few times and if it were a cheap beer, it would be really good, but it is as expensive or even more so than Bud/ Bud Light. There seems to be somewhat of a blind following with Shiner. I think some people really like it, but many more pretend to like it because it is a "Texas Beer".
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:38:09 PM EDT
[#38]
I almost forgot about the Celis brewery tour.  That was a ton of fun...
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:50:10 AM EDT
[#39]
Celis Pale Bock was my favorite Texas beer, hands down.  I still drink it when I can find it, but technically its not a Texas beer anymore.

I'm mainly a Shiner Bock guy.  I like Shiner Light okay too.  I haven't seen Shiner 96 yet.  I'll have to watch for that.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:24:53 AM EDT
[#40]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top