Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/18/2006 10:18:23 AM EDT
Gents,
Venturing into some new turf here and would like any thoughts you have on the matter...

I have a couple of pistols that I'm going to sell, nothing really interesting, just a couple of pistols that I've had for home defense for the last several years. I've upgraded and I'd like to sell them, but I'm not real comfortable just posting them on the net, showing up in a parking lot and handing them off to someone I don't know. The paranoid side of me doesn't want them showing up on the 11 o'clock news used in the latest gangland shooting. I trust my instincts in dealing with people, but these days you just cannot be too cautious.  Anyone have any experience doing this in and around North Houston?...or is it just safer to list them on the net and send them to an FFL?...just curious about some good guidelines to follow so as not to run afoul of anything unanticipated so this does not come back and bite me in the ass later...for some reason I would not sweat a long gun, but pistols are different.

Thanks.
Dan
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:35:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, you could try coming out to one of the Houston Crew meetings and see if anyone wants them. We're all good guys. You could also sell them to a gunshop, though you won't get as much for them that way. If you do a face-to-face with a complete stranger, you might want to get his D/L info, so if it ever gets used in a crime and the police track it to you, you can point them to exactly who you sold it to.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:46:47 AM EDT
[#2]
DL is a good idea, you could also put them on the EE with a FTF CHL only stipulation.  The EE is, I think, a relatively safe place to sell.  Not that many gang bangers hanging out on  Arfcom.......

Put them on the EE, I've been looking for a specific gun myself.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:47:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 2:45:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks all for taking the time to reply. Some very good suggestions here. Coz, I shot you an
e-mail.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:52:01 AM EDT
[#5]

I personally find the EE too much of a hassle. I prefer to sell them through, or to, a gun shop or go to a gun show and sell to someonw face to face--lots of potential buyers there and if you don't like someone's looks you don't have to sell it to them. Lots of gun shows around Houston.

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 9:26:55 AM EDT
[#6]
I always just post mine here and other places, as local FTF deals only.  They hand me cash, I hand them tools.  Handshake, and that's it.  The way it should be.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 10:04:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Hi Daniel,
You may want to check out http://gungroker.com as a way to sell.  If you list there you will have many more potential buyers looking.  If you sell there you would be shipping to an FFL holder and the buyer then has the transfer to them done through the FFL holder.  You can request that the buyer have the FFL holder email you a copy of their FFL as well so you can verify it is valid and keep it along with your guns s/n in a file for any future need.  I have sold this way and it seems to work well.
David
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top