Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/9/2006 6:10:06 PM EDT
Building my first AR.  Coz 45 hooked me with lower & LPK.  I am looking for opinions on upper assembly.  Anyone have Model 1Sales?  Their prices are smoking good.  I want to keep my business in state if I can.  Looking for some in state advice on this.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:30:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one with a Model 1 Sales upper and it works fine.  Here's a pic of it. Model 1 Sales Xm177 kit and RRA lower from Coz_45.
Their LPK suck honestly. I had put it in there but ended up taking it out cause it was horrible.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:05:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I have bought about 30 kits from them... And i never had any trouble with any of thier product........

I tell you this, the more order. The price will go down on lttle things that you might want to add on to the rifle...........

I proubly spend aroud $1500-2500 every time i see them. At the shows.....   I love the toys they have....  Brian is a very nice person, to deal with........

Tell Him Nathan sent.... Robbie's  little helper.... he will know how i am...
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:14:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:11:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Good for plinking, not good for reliability.

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:26:05 PM EDT
[#5]
The 6.8 SPC Yahoo mailing list at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/68RemSPC/ generally has been negative on the quality of their 6.8 SPC stuff. I've bought misc parts from them and have been satisified with what I got.

YMMV.

wganz

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:29:31 PM EDT
[#6]
LPK's are out of spec. ( at least on the one I bought, trigger and hammer pin too large)
check your gas key and make sure it is staked properly and locktited.
Just had a bolt crack in half  at the cam pin after less thank 2k rounds through.

The plus side is, the barrel (ER Shaw) seems to be pretty precise. It does 1moa at 100yds regularly.

My advice. Since I have not had a problem with my upper, get a CMT LPK, BCG from another vendor. YMMV
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:20:10 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
LPK's are out of spec. ( at least on the one I bought, trigger and hammer pin too large)
Just had a bolt crack in half  at the cam pin after less thank 2k rounds through.

The plus side is, the barrel (ER Shaw) seems to be pretty precise. It does 1moa at 100yds regularly.

My advice. Since I have not had a problem with my upper, get a CMT LPK, BCG from another vendor. YMMV

Yours too?  Mine broke at the HunFarm last fall..... they replaced it, but I stashed it.  I now run an MPI'ed CMT BCG ..... it looks like the one on top here:

Seems to run smoother and cycle better too.....
The one on the bottom is what my Model1 BCG looks like.... and he's right about staking... the Model1 one loosened up the first trip to the range.

P.S.  I tried to find the thread I started about it here, but couldnt.
 The pix I took are still online here
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:06:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Great info so far.  Thanks.  I am getting th picture on shat I need to do.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 11:18:14 AM EDT
[#9]
if you in the houston area take a look at holland gun works.
he's local and can get you or build you anything you need
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 3:02:21 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yours too?  Mine broke at the HunFarm last fall..... they replaced it, but I stashed it.  I now run an MPI'ed CMT BCG ..... it looks like the one on top here:
www.eaglefirearms.net/images/RRA/Enhanced_and_old_carriers.jpg
The one on the bottom is what my Model1 BCG looks like.... and he's right about staking... the Model1 one loosened up the first trip to the range.

At the Armorer's course in DFW, Sully of DefensiveEdge.com said that he did a comparison of bolt carriers from different vendors. The one that he got from Model 1 Sales and from M&A Parts were made on the same machine. The only difference that he saw was that the Model 1 Sales bolt carrier had 'Mexico' on the inside of the wrapper when he opened it.

YMMV,

wganz

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:17:13 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Quoted:

www.eaglefirearms.net/images/RRA/Enhanced_and_old_carriers.jpg

That is exactly the failure I had with my Model 1 bolt. I got such great customer service with the Gas key problem----" you just need a vice and a screwdriver to restake the key" that I did not even bother with trying to get a new one. Just went and bought a CMT MP bolt from Bravo Company and I'm done with it.

Like I said above I think the uppers are pretty decent for the price. I would however avoid the BCG and the lower parts kit like the plague.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:40:04 PM EDT
[#12]
decent for the price.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:56:16 PM EDT
[#13]
On the Whole I'd rather BUY TEXAS!

Try GDS (they are all over the E.E.!)

Always had great success with their components and they carry the top shelf stuff from the majors and the less expensive generic stuff so you can mix and match, Vs. Model 1 which seems to be nothing but least expensive producer!

Was it Model 1 or M&A that SCTEXAS put the Darth Vader Death Grip too

Just my .02 Cents!

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:09:51 PM EDT
[#14]
This is awesome exactly what I was looking for in responses!  A big BoooYah to Texas.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:55:30 PM EDT
[#15]
My Sendra RR M16 came with a M1S 11.5" upper.  The carrier key came loose, so I restaked it myself.  It wouldn't reliably feed on some lowers so I did some "home-crafted-with-care" M4 feed ramps.  And something about that upper won't run my Ciener kit in FA (bolt doesn't go forward far enough to trip the auto sear) though most other uppers I've tried (bushie, colt, RRA) have worked fine.

In short, you get what you pay for.  Don't be surprised if you have to do a little WECSOGing to get a Model 1 upper to work the way you want it to.  (Of course I paid a helluva lot for mine, but I wasn't really interested in the upper.)  

As always, YMMV and all that stuff.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:48:10 PM EDT
[#16]
big +1 for gds_enterprise
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 3:45:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Good to go
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:30:47 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

At the Armorer's course in DFW, Sully of DefensiveEdge.com said that he did a comparison of bolt carriers from different vendors. The one that he got from Model 1 Sales and from M&A Parts were made on the same machine. The only difference that he saw was that the Model 1 Sales bolt carrier had 'Mexico' on the inside of the wrapper when he opened it.

YMMV,

wganz

Sully of DefensiveEdge.com, does not know what the F@#K he is talking about.  The bolt carriers are not made in Mexico and we don't ship bolt carriers in "wrappers."  Our bolts are made by Stag.

srt205
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:42:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Been working at M1S for about a year now, have yet to see a bolt that came in a wrapper marked "made in Mexico".

I've seen broken Colt bolts, Bushmaster bolts, Armalite bolts, and ect. Bolts are a high stress/ pressure item, sometimes they break, even MPI'ed ones.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:08:40 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

YMMV,

wganz

Sully of DefensiveEdge.com, does not know what the F@#K he is talking about.  The bolts are not made in Mexicao and we don't ship bolts in "wrappers."  Our bolts are made by Stag.

srt205

Said bolt carrier.
Not bolt.
If there is a problem, then take it up with Sully.

BTW. Still going to order from my pistol upper from M1S.

wganz

BTW.. Just heard over in chat that mm38 just got a bolt from Colt that had  'Hecho in Mexico' on it.

Now..........
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:10:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Out of 4 builds with M1S I helped with,

3 of them had broken bolts under 1,000 rounds.

All 4 bent the bolt catch in the same period which had to be replaced as well.(Around the same time JT had a bad batch of bolt catch)

1 front sight came loose(Smaller pins than my Colt)

1 Front sling mount flew off while shooting.

I Dont know if it was a bad run, but that does not inspire confidence to me.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:50:59 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

BTW.. Just heard over in chat that mm38 just got a bolt from Colt that had  'Hecho in Mexico' on it.

I contacted the seller just a few minutes ago, a large well known mail and internet retail store.  They buy the brand named parts from a distributor, not the manufacturer.  I was one of several inquiries since yesterday.  They were surprised too, and have pulled the bolts from stock.  They will send me a replacement bolt, credit the price difference, and supply a UPS return tag.

mm
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:28:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Their stuff is good to go.

I have one of their UPPERS on a RR lower - 100% reliable.

I also have one of their Bolt/Bolt Carrier groups and lower parts kits ------ in my new AR Pistol - 100% reliable.

Bought a Round Handguard cap from them at MARKET HALL show -- asked him if they had an extra strong extractor spring and #60 O-Ring.

He gave them both to me for FREE ...

HOWEVER---
I was bummed - They said they have NO PLANS to open a store front now that they are in TEXAS.
---Stated that they do sooo much business over the NET and PHONE  that it would be a waste of time.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:08:21 AM EDT
[#24]
I have a Model 1 A3 M4gery that is accurate as hell and has 6000 plus rounds of all types ammo through it with NO problems. It's on a DPMS lower.

I have also built several other kits from Model1 for buddies and they too have had good luck with them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top