Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2006 7:30:28 PM EDT
Hey all -

I'm pretty new here, and very new to firearms in general. Right now I have been to the range once, and only own one gun, a Remington 522 Viper. I received the gun from a friend of mine for Christmas, after he took me shooting for my 21st birthday. Unfortunately, I have been unable to get my friend back to the range with me or find another shooting buddy. Being that I have never really been shown the basics, outside of the little bit he showed me the once, I have been very hesitant to go by myself. That out of the way, it brings me to why I am making this post.

I am looking for a shooting buddy or a few buddies - anyone that would be willing to take me under their wing and help me out with learning the basics of shooting, etc, etc. I'm also the only one in my family interested in shooting. ARFCOM seems to have a great community, and you Texas folk should be the cream of the crop (it is Texas afterall he
Doc
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:01:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Not sure when you are available to go shooting, but I go to that Reds at Lunch every so often.  I actually live way up North, but I work down South.  I also go shooting at Eagles Peak in Leander every so often.  It's a long haul, but it's $10 per day to shoot there so you can actually shoot for a while, go grab food, come back and keep on shooting.  If you are wanting to try out different guns, that's the way to go since you hve all the time in the day to do it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:55:57 AM EDT
[#2]
I live north (Cedar Park) and work south (Oltorf/Montopolis) also. The commute is a stone cold b!tch.

Shooting at lunch is an option, it just means a long lunch for me. After work is also an option. I'd need a day or two notice to pack for the range

There are several people here at work who are interested in shooting, and a few of them are new to it. We have been talking about an after-work event at Red's South, though we have made no plans yet.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:29:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, I live in Leander and work across the street from Westlake HS, so I totall feel your pain with that commute.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:37:08 AM EDT
[#4]
I shoot at one of the local outdoor ranges pretty much every weekend (except this weekend when I'll be up in Dallas for the armorer's course).  You'd be welcome to join anytime.  I generally do a mix of rilfe and pistol, depending on where I happen to be shooting and how rapid-fire friendly they are.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 10:01:41 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm pretty much stuck going on the weekends. I work nights and during the days I play Mr. Mom for my 2.5 year old daughter. I don't drive right now so I'm pretty limited in what I do during the week unless the wife is home or I get a babysitter - usually the inlaws.

Doc
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:15:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I usually go with 2 or 3 others.  Maybe we can all meet up some weekend.  I get off crutches next Friday so maybe we can get somethign together after that.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:05:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Doc, have you checked out the Austin Rifle Club? It's out on 290 about 19 miles east of 35.

$75 a year, shoot all you want.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top