Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/22/2006 2:56:48 PM EDT
Just move up here and dont have any tools or a work bench for the settup. Anyone of you help a fellow Member out?

Well here's the update.
Today I started out not knowing any local ARFCOMERS. I had a Complete rifle minus a stripped lower.

I met with some ARFCOMMERS and proceeded to work on my rig. Fast forward a few hours . . . .

Now I have a complete rifle minus a stripped upper and an C-clip for the dust cover

Absoloutely amazing

I have learned a very important lesson here and that is to be patient and wait for a upper block.

Now I will be attempting to finish this fiasco in the following weeks. But until then that will give me enough time to Moly coat what I need to and get that ball rolling. So Lets just get this thing finished at TRG's meet.

Oh and DPMS Wonder tools (Wrenches) Suck

On a side note if your in the market for a good tight and extremely well built upper order model 1 sales. But not nessecessarily if you intend to take it apart and rebuild as something else. May be easier to just build from the ground up.

I am confident we will be laughing at this one for years to come. And no you will never live this one down.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:21:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Yep, we can probably get together and help you out.

Small Change and I have enough tools between us.  I'll shoot him
this thread and see what we can come up with.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:32:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep, we can probably take care of you.  Let us know what your schedule looks like.  Things are kinda hectic for me the next couple of weekends, but I should be okay after that.  And weeknights are often an option.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:01:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I love Texas!

Who said good old southern hospitality was dead.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:55:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Let me know if ya dont get taken care of.  Im a lill ways away but could use an excuse to head that way. Or ya could come a lttile west off I-20 and I'd be glad to help ya out.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:47:54 AM EDT
[#5]
If ya wanna drive to Mt. Pleasant I could meet ya there!
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:01:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I think Sader and/or I will be able to take care of him.  We've been disussing the details on IM.

Fister, let me know when all your parts come in and you're ready to build.  Then we can set a day and a time.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:28:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Nada prob

We should all get togather some time soon for lunch or somethng. We could do a Bar-B-Q at TRG's place or something . . . . . . . . . .

That is if TRG is up for it ?

I wish I could host but I live in a apartment.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 12:21:51 PM EDT
[#8]

We should all get togather some time soon for lunch or somethng. We could do a Bar-B-Q at TRG's place or something . . . . . . . . . .

That is if TRG is up for it ?

Funny you should mention that...

Its already in the works.

Oddly enough I had a chance meeting of another ARFCOMmer at breakfast this morning.  Our wives know each other, and he knew about me through another list member he knows through work.  I knew who he was, but had no idea he was "in the club."  They're coming out from under rocks in East Texas.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:01:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah all the parts just arrived

I would like to get this done sooner rather than later so heres my schedule for this week

Tomorrow I will be in Tyler but will be free after lunch

Wednesday I will be in Lufkin but will be free after 2pm

Thursday I will be in Texarkana but will be free after 1pm

Friday on until the 7th I will be free all the time

If this works for anyone Im up for a short drive depending. All I need to do is replace an existing A2 FSB with a gas block and remove my old FF tube and put on a new one. Shouldn't be all that time consumeing I would thing provided the proper tools are available. All I have on hand is a set of punches and a hammer
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:07:36 AM EDT
[#10]

I would like to get this done sooner rather than later so heres my schedule for this week

IM Sent.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:57:36 PM EDT
[#11]
I replied to the IM ya sent Fister.  Ya got my # now.   I gots da tools .  Anyday is good for this self employed redneck. I hate waiting to put on new parts.  I wanna play with it, hold it , shoot it NOW !!! Its ,like waiting for paint ot dry.  Anyway, we'll get ya fixed up.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:02:20 PM EDT
[#12]
OK heres the scoop I've got a HG that's gonna take some extra TLC so etexer is going to help me out

Thanks for all who offered their assistance
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:19:57 PM EDT
[#13]
I tried my best to help but someone <cough>Sader762</cough> borrowed my upper receiver block then left the country.

Not to worry, Fister -- we'll do our best to extend some East Texas hospitality in the not-too-distant future.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:25:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Update at top

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:45:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:47:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Sader762 is back from the land of the quetzalcoatl, and I've verified that he does have my upper block.  So if you still need that, it can be arranged.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:50:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Im up for rebarreling when my New upper arrives I will keep you updated

Anyone got a spare C-clip
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:20:51 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
On a side note if your in the market for a good tight and extremely well built upper order model 1 sales. But not nessecessarily if you intend to take it apart and rebuild as something else. May be easier to just build from the ground up.

So how did you come to this conclusion on your first build.... you compare all the other makes? *confused*
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:35:37 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So how did you come to this conclusion on your first build.... you compare all the other makes? *confused*

No Im not slandering model 1 in the least I love them and their products. However when you have a NIB Free Floated Upper that is so tight (well over 100 lbs of torque, more like 180 lbs of torque) that it will break a barrel nut wrench as well as the barrrel nut and still not be loose. Then I would say that is a very solid, last you a lifetime build that will never come loose.

Like I said unless you want to strugle with one you may just want to build from the ground up.

I have done a lot of uppers and NEVER have I seen one this tight. When you are breaking like new barrel wrenches I would say its a little over torque. I honestly could not tell you how one would get one so tight that even a cheater bar would fail and bend. Unless it was installed using a lathe.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:33:35 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
No Im not slandering model 1 in the least I love them and their products. However when you have a NIB Free Floated Upper that is so tight (well over 100 lbs of torque, more like 180 lbs of torque) that it will break a barrel nut wrench as well as the barrrel nut and still not be loose. Then I would say that is a very solid, last you a lifetime build that will never come loose.

Like I said unless you want to strugle with one you may just want to build from the ground up.

I have done a lot of uppers and NEVER have I seen one this tight. When you are breaking like new barrel wrenches I would say its a little over torque. I honestly could not tell you how one would get one so tight that even a cheater bar would fail and bend. Unless it was installed using a lathe.

I don't claim to be an expert, but I'll take a guess at this one.  I'll bet the original float tube was not installed w/ that amount of torque.  I'll bet it was installed with a standard amount of torque, but an anti-sieze compound wasn't used.  As a result, the threads siezed up and it made it very difficult to remove.

But that's just a guess.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:37:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Not sure really it looked pretty lubed but that very well could have been the problem. There was plenty of moly grease inside. But who really knows. I figure theres a reason for everything and we just got to learn from it. All in all I found it quite entertaining.

But it was damn tight. Way tighter than any I've been witness to.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top