Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/22/2006 6:19:42 AM EDT
I'm stationed at Ft. Bliss, and my 1st Sergeant believes that if registration of firearms is not required, there would be a law that stated it.  Does anyone know if there is a law stating that registration is NOT required?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:47:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:47:03 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I'm stationed at Ft. Bliss, and my 1st Sergeant believes that if registration of firearms is not required, there would be a law that stated it.  Does anyone know if there is a law stating that registration is NOT required?

There is no such law and it is silly to think that there should be. There are all kinds of things that are not required that have no laws. TRG mentioned a few. There is also not a law that says you can walk down a street without a driver's license, no laws that says you don't have to register to vote, no law  that says.......
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:02:45 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Around here we call it the 2nd Admendment.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:37:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Give him the telephone number for either the local ATF field office or the district attorney's office. Heck, give him my number. I am an FFL and can explain the issue to him.

Keith

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:35:55 AM EDT
[#5]

I'm stationed at Ft. Bliss, and my 1st Sergeant believes that if registration of firearms is not required, there would be a law that stated it. Does anyone know if there is a law stating that registration is NOT required?

Are we talking registered with the state or registered on post? I dimly recall that you may have to register with post MPs, but I left Ft. Ignorance in '91, so I won't swear to that.

If he's babbling about the state, try to find out where he's from first. A lot of people from places like MA and NY have really weird ideas about gun laws. They are usually not susceptible to argument, so it's best to ignore them if you can. Seeing as how he's your 1SG that may not be possible.

Call El Paso PD and ask, preferably on a speakerphone in front of him. That way he can't bs his way out of it and tell you you're making crap up. However, don't do it front of everybody else. I have yet to meet a senior NCO who appreciates being made to look like a jackass in public. You will suffer if you do that.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:47:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Tr0g is correct that many people believe that if it is a law in one state, it has to be the law in all states. That includes some police officers that often respond to discussions on bulletin boards, especially when it comes to police procedures.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 12:38:10 PM EDT
[#7]
its just paper trail
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:07:13 PM EDT
[#8]
   Got to agree with the REDGOAT.   If the TOP says is raining and it's a sunny day...... It's raining
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:58:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Sounds like you wouldn't want to take legal advice from this 1st SGT 'cuz he doesn't understand the most fundamental concept of law. Gotta be from NY, NJ, MASS, etc.

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:56:27 PM EDT
[#10]

Which blue state is this poor uninformed feller from?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:17:35 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Is he a Marine?  You know they need regs and manuals for everything

EDITED to add I know  Ft. Bliss is Army!!! Just funnin around!!!
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:04:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Laws do not list things that are legal.  The list illegal things.  Laws do not list things that are NOT required, they list things that ARE required.

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:35:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Tell your first sergent to take his guns down to the police station and register them.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:43:17 PM EDT
[#14]
I am a LEO and had an uncle of mine argue the same thing! He even called the local ATF office to try and prove me wrong.... Granted, I don't know EVERY law out there, but I deal with firearms as a job and as a hobby....duh I think I know that one! There is NO SUCH LAW IN TEXAS!!   Allison
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:57:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Class 3 weapons must be registered with the ATF.  If you build your own AR from an 80% reciever you dont even need to have a serial number on it much less register it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 11:40:58 AM EDT
[#16]
U.S. and Texas law is based on the principle of:
"That which is not explicitly forbidden is permitted".....
that is the mark of a free society.... vs an authoritarian one where the principle is:
"That which is not explicitly permitted is forbidden".

Thank you, and think your 1st Sgt for their service in preserving our freedom!  (seriously)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top