Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/12/2006 1:47:51 PM EDT
Just returned from a week at SHOT. Was great, as expected. Went with Frisco and someone from the Dark Side. Arrived Wednesday and headed out to the PRE-SHOT SHOOT & BBQ. Shot new guns I do not own or have not shot, SIG X5, a Rock River M16 with Surefire Can, among others. Finished the shoot with FREE BBQ.  Spent the rest of week at SHOT. Took 2.5 days to see everything. Here are some highlights.

HK

Major dissapointment. Most of what HK had to talk about was all the products they were discontinuing, or did not bring to the show. Mark 23 is discontinued, G36, is discontinued, etc. Did not bring a P3000 or a HK45. SOS. Has some 416s on display (first showed at 2004 SHOT so nothing new), but no plans to sell them to non-LEO, though they have expanded out of "Federal Only" and are now trying to sell to PDs. I guess when none of them buy it, they may try to sell it to civilians.

Colt

Still a joke. They have re-worked the M5 gas system into a the LE1020, but it is not available to civilians. Other than that, nothing new or interesting.

FN

P90 on display, along with SCAR-L and SCAR-H. SCAR guns will be sold to civilians as soon as Military backlog is filled.

Sig

Sig rocks. The 556 is cool by any standard. Unlike the 550/551/552, it uses AR magazines. Also had other cool stuff like new handguns and Mosquito factory threaded barrels.

Eotech

Now owned by L3. Had new sight for SOCOM contract. Basically a CR123 version of the sight with NV, tan, and instead of lock wheel, uses dual throw levers for attachment. Also has a hardened body.

L3

Night visions rules, thermal imaging is even cooler. Lots of handheld models on display, as opposed to the usual extremely large bulky rifle & vehicle systems. Thermal-Eye 250 is really nice. Price is high though, starting at $8K.

Elcan

Digital rifle scope is extremely cool. Rather on the long side, and only useful out to about 300 yards or so. This is basically a Gen1 product (IMO), and future products in coming years with enhanced magnification and better resolution will be nice.

Remington

Even remington "gets it". They are now shipping a 762 AR. It is OEM'ed from DPMS.

Rock River

Had the 762 gun there, and is now actively making/selling M16s as mentioned above. Will sell M16s through dealers.

Smith & Wesson

Had the new AR gun and the M&P. No doubt they are trying to get back to a stronger position in the market after som many years of decline. This is good.

Barrett

Had the new 416 there, a necked down and shortened 50 BMG. Ronnie was there, everybody was thanking him for his attitude.

Surefire

Had 762 cans on display. Not really impressed with Surefire; cans are loud and locking mechanism requires two hands.

Yankee Hill

Lots of new mounts and a new partnership with Soundtech to make a can. The new mount system is nice, a quick spin on and it ratchets down securely. Comes off easy. They are making both 556 and 762 cans.

Ares

No show.

GemTech

Had new blackside cans, new updated Bi-locks. Also are building integral cans (pistol only only display at show) using the Tactical Solutions upper.

AAC

Had SCAR guns with cans on display, including the Miami Vice gun.

Tactical Solutions

Had most uppers there, and was displaying new TETON and SAWTOOTH silencers. These are integral units they make for the pistol and rifles, also making a threaded version.

Summary

Lots of new products, lots more focus on civilian market, other than a few companies who are choosing to shrink market share. I saw just about every vendor, but cannot write them all up. Post questions if you have any.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 1:57:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Steyr? Good review and thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:17:51 PM EDT
[#2]
seen the fn p90 in person this weekend,

kinda cool but i wouldnt pay that much for it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:34:04 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Steyr? Good review and thanks for the info.

Not very familiar with their product line, but they had a full line of rifles, as well as the AUG. They also showed off a domestically mfg'ed A3.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:16:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Best in show was the thermal gear...I never knew it could be so fun.

Also, fondled the Mk46 and Mk48 Mod 0 at FN...definately a nice piece of hardware.

Blackhawk's booth was big as ever...

Stag's new left handed version was pretty nice for the wrong handed.  F/A bolts will be sold to civies...

Also forgot Wolf's new line of brass ammo, basically everything up to and including .300WM.  Rep indicated they are fixing the slow boat issue, and introducing .303 and 8mm.

Thanks to Renegade for the free room and the company at the blackjack donation table.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:23:30 AM EDT
[#5]
I spent some time at the Sig booth talking with the engineer for the 556.  He said he was suprised at some of the feedback and that they would be making some changes and additions based on those (ciivilian!!!) recommendations.  For instance, they will be offering the rifle with the folding stock and a lower profile rail.  They are also looking at offering the diopter (drum style) rear sight.  They said right now that sight is too costly to manufacture for this rifle.  As an FYI - the upper on this rifle will be the registered receiver.

I found a small company based out of Azusa, CA that is making some really nice mag couplers for both the ARs and MP5s.  They are rock solid and priced reasonably.

I was not real impressed with the S&W M&P AR15.  They are pricing the rifle at well over $1k and I dont think that the rifle is worth that much.

I ran into Ted Nugent the first day I was there and said hello.  Nice guy!

Met a few Arfcommers, but didnt get to see any of the TX crew.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:33:28 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Met a few Arfcommers, but didnt get to see any of the TX crew.

Must have just missed you....
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:00:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:17:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:08:42 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Pics?

TRG

Got a few...including one for Mojo.  We actually saw "Camera Police" at the show.  If you didn't have a press pass you weren't supposed to take pics.  I'll download and see what I've got tonight.

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:10:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Some props in the Wolf booth:

Sig X5 at the range the day before Shot.  Free test firing and BBQ...

Post Sample PKM...forgot the company name, I'll look it up...

Post Sample PKM receiver...Rep indicated they are working on a legal semi version.  

Alamo Four Star in Armalite booth showing off his tripod and level grouse...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top