Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/7/2006 5:30:24 PM EDT
So, I see that lots of people in the forum have SBR's, silencers, FA's, etc.  I know about getting the CLEO to sign off, but is it as easy to get their sign off as asking?  Do CLEO's usually just say "Clean record, sure..." and do it for ya or are all you guys good buds with them?  Or are you all mostly LEO's already?

On a related topic, SBR's require basically the same paperwork as the FA's right? Instead of the NFA paperwork, can one get an AR pistol from say Bushmaster and add a stock later w/o having it registered as an SBR and w/o the usual SBR paperwork?  I thought a 9mm Bushmaster set up like my current AR would be good for indoor ranges and less expensive for practice.

Thanks!

Randall
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:53:01 PM EDT
[#1]
By definition, adding a stock to a pistol with less than a 16" barrel makes it an SBR.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:45:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Though I read somewhere, maybe on this forum, that once a a pistol, always a pistol.  I know that was refering to the "registration" of the lower.  So that only refers to the original purchase paperwork and not anything that the NFA/BATF requires for a SBR?

Thanks!

Randall
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:07:25 PM EDT
[#3]
As a manufacture I may be able to clear this up. to the cleo issue there are more that will sign then won't . a receiver comes from the manufacture and was registered as either a pistol , rifle or sbr thus giving us the 5.00 transfer or 200.00 BUT on a a 5.00 transfer Shotgun (AOW) can not have a stock added where as a SBr/SBS can. any person can fill out the paperwork and "manufacture" there own SBR/SBS. the rule is if a rifle has a stock the barrel must be 18 inch and 26 inch overall and a shotgun mus have an 18 inch barrell and 26inch overall any other configuration must be registered through BATF.......by the by anyone besides me going to the shot show.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:59:54 PM EDT
[#4]
So to take one of the Bushmaster 9mm AR pistols and add 6 pos stock, it would have to be registered with BATF as SBR which would require CLEO signoff, other paperwork, $200 annually, etc.?

Thanks!

Randall
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:11:11 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
So to take one of the Bushmaster 9mm AR pistols and add 6 pos stock, it would have to be registered with BATF as SBR which would require CLEO signoff, other paperwork, $200 annually, etc.?

Thanks!

Randall

Not annually.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:09:07 PM EDT
[#6]
So whe one wants to get the CLEO sign-off, how to you contact them?  Call them up and the person who answers the phone should know the ropes?  Mail in paperwork?  Drop in with paperwork?  Or does it just depend on the CLEO?  Sorry for the rudimentary questions...

Thanks!

Randall
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:12:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Have you read through this yet?  SBR FAQ

I started looking through it yesterday but then realized that I'm several years away from doing anything SBR related so I stopped. But in my short time looking at it they address several of your questions and if you read it all it might answer all of your questions.

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:15:07 AM EDT
[#8]
I think most people here have had different experiences with their CLEO. Some mail them and others deliver them in person. Should depend on how the CLEO wants to handle it. Just contact your CLEO where you live (city/county) and ask what he/she prefers.

Sometimes the receptionists answering the phones won't have any idea what a Form 1 or Form 4 is. You may have to explain.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:22:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:46:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:49:45 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
As a manufacture I may be able to clear this up. to the cleo issue there are more that will sign then won't . a receiver comes from the manufacture and was registered as either a pistol , rifle or sbr thus giving us the 5.00 transfer or 200.00 BUT on a a 5.00 transfer Shotgun (AOW) can not have a stock added where as a SBr/SBS can. any person can fill out the paperwork and "manufacture" there own SBR/SBS. the rule is if a rifle has a stock the barrel must be 18 inch and 26 inch overall and a shotgun mus have an 18 inch barrell and 26inch overall any other configuration must be registered through BATF.......by the by anyone besides me going to the shot show.

I thought RIFLES required at least a 16" barrel, not 18".
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:41:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:58:30 PM EDT
[#13]
+1 on the campaign contributions, but thats not all that TRG does for the CLEO.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:06:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:10:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:11:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Found the SBR FAQ shortly after posting this.  I though about the contributions and connections angles as well.  I'll have to look into them iI guess.

Thanks!

Randall
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:52:20 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I just go in and ask to talk to the chief of police or the sheriff and then ask them to sign the forms once I'm in their office. Lots of people drop them off and then go pick them up, but I figure they work for me and 5 minutes of their time to sign a couple of things isn't too much to ask for. I've never had any problems and they've always been very pleasant.

YMMV

Campaign contributions work as well.

TRG

All I contribute is a SASE... never even went in and met the guy.

Of course, YMMV, and after meeting TRG... I'd probably like a contribution too.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:14:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Related question: What is the deal about adding a folding pistol foregrig to a AR pistol?  Crazy US laws :)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top