Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/5/2006 12:13:24 PM EDT
What has happened with Cheaper Than Dirt?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 12:46:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Not really sure if this is what you're asking about.

I used to work with a fella who's pop was laid off from Cheaper than Dirt.  My buddy said they were selling the retail side of the business or closing it or something.  I could have it completely backwards, but I know it was something major.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:54:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Regarding what? I work there. Our gun and ammo prices are competitive.

Now, if you are talking about the catalog company, who knows. I dont really care. The retail store and catalog/internet store are 2 different companies with different owners.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:43:52 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Who do you consider your competitors?

I can order just about any catridge via mail order and the price with shipping almost always beats CTD's price with tax....
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:55:38 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Who do you consider your competitors?

I can order just about any catridge via mail order and the price with shipping almost always beats CTD's price with tax....

Local brick and mortar stores. Cabelas, Bass Pro, Elk Castle, Winchester gallery, etc.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:55:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, the shelves are packed....but the gun selection is sorta...well slim right now....
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:20:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:34:59 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Well, the shelves are packed....but the gun selection is sorta...well slim right now....

Xmas cleaned us out, we are getting in dozens of guns a week tho. We should be back up to normal after shot show.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:50:46 PM EDT
[#8]
http://forums.cheaperthandirt.com/viewtopic.php?t=266 (From the Cheaper than Dirt forums)
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:17:20 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
http://forums.cheaperthandirt.com/viewtopic.php?t=266 (From the Cheaper than Dirt forums)

Ahhh, you are talking about the catalog/internet company. I dont know what thier deal is. I dont know of any managment change. Sorry about your issues. Good luck.

I work next door, we have nothing to do with the catalog company except a shared name.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 12:04:52 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I work next door, we have nothing to do with the catalog company except a shared name.

<e>
Which is confusing to the consumer as I believe a DBA is usually (not required) filed for each company doing business in the county (i.e. collecting sales taxes for in-state sales), and the company name must be unique and NOT confusingly similar to another business name within the same county...

Since both companies are doing business in the same county, and they happen to share the SAME building, it implies its the same company and seems kinda shady if you ask me.

Explain this one, if you can...

If they are "separate companies" as they've been claiming for some time now, why the hell do they have STACKS of catalogs IN THE STORE, WITH THE SAME NAME??? And how come I'm put on the mailing list for catalogs when making purchases in the store...? And why did they *used to* (til recently) pull merchandise from the back that was in the catalog?

-E.
</e>
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:42:02 AM EDT
[#11]
tag
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:45:11 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Its not Cheaper than Dirt anymore.

I remember the good old days when they had gunshow prices.

Considering the gas it takes to drive all the way out to the far west side of Ft. Worth, its a lot cheaper
to go somewhere close by even if CTD has the same item .10 cents cheaper.

Yeah, if I'm driving that far, I'll just go to Cabella's..... Its pretty much a 'wash' if I pay to have stuff shipped from CTD in terms of time/fuel savings... but the ammo surcharge, and tax can be avoided if I order from say NatchezSS.com.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:47:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Excuse me, but why the hell are you yelling at me? I just work there. Yes, they are 2 different companies with different owners. The Catalog/internet company is called Cheaper Than Dirt. We are not at the same address either. Same warehouse building complex, yes, but we are our own building.

The retail store that I work at is called Cheaper Than Dirt Outdoor Adventures. The reason we keep catalogs in the store are simple contractual obligations. Is that simple enough for you?

Yea, I bet my boss is breaking the business regulation laws over the name Ya know, not like he has enough regulation being a Class 3 dealer doing 6+ million a year in sales.

And the reason we no longer pull from the warehouse is that thier owner wanted to charge our company like 10% more PLUS pay an employee 20 bucks an hour to pull. My boss couldnt afford it.

IM me if you want more detail. This thread is going to go nowhere.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:06:46 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Excuse me, but why the hell are you yelling at me? I just work there....

Easy there man, it's not your fault he's deaf, dumb, and blind, and asking questions he obviously already knows the answers too because they've been gone over again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again...

Now, who's up for a nice game of poker???  
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:33:00 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Excuse me, but why the hell are you yelling at me? I just work there.

Because he has very few social skills.... and hasn't yet learned how to have a civil fucking conversation, without offending those he engages.  But we are working on him/them.  
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:59:25 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ahhh, you are talking about the catalog/internet company. I dont know what thier deal is. I dont know of any managment change. Sorry about your issues. Good luck.

I have met and dealt with CFII at the store. He is a good, knowledgeable person that will help with any questions you have.
I went in looking at mount blocks for a scope for my AR15. He and a couple of others helped me decide what I needed, not just what they had for sale.
Now, I do feel bad because I am bad with names, but I know the 3 guys I go to most for help.
Some online dealers have cheaper prices, but try asking them a question, or questions.
I have a C&R FFL so I do order from Midway, Brownell's, etc. because I get dealer prices, but I am sure the CTD employees buy from them too.
Another big plus for me is that the store is about 1.5 miles from me, but if they sucked I would just drive by.

I have always understood that the store is seperate from the online operation. Some items in their catalog or their website are not available in the store- they are by order only. It's really not that big of a problem.

For me the biggest problem is not enough Swiss 7.5x55 and Swede 6.5x55 ammo!

Jim
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:08:00 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Excuse me, but why the hell are you yelling at me?

Not really yelling at you, just posting... didn't mean for you to take it wrong. Sorry.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:17:38 PM EDT
[#18]
First

Yea, I bet my boss......being a Class 3 dealer doing 6+ million a year in sales.

then

thier owner wanted to charge our company like 10% more PLUS pay an employee 20 bucks an hour to pull. My boss couldnt afford it.

AHhhhhh!!! I think I understand now. The punk 17 year old drop out from Saginaw that would have commanded "$20 an hour" (wink wink) to pull orders so that people could actually have a selection to choose from was the DEAL BREAKER!!!!!!!!

Well, Cheaper Than Dirt...not to be confused with Cheaper Than Dirt, just worked themselves out of just about the only redeeming quality that I could see about the store. Having all that mil. sup. stuff right there was cool while it lasted. However, being able to beat Cabelas, Bass Pro and Winny Gallery on ammo prices is like patting yourself on the back for lapping Corkey at the Special Olympics.

I'm not ragging on you....well, actually I am...I just hate to see a good thing screwed up. Just like MSG down the road from you. They had the opportunity and a great niche......and they have done everything they can to screw it up and make a real bad name for themselves every chance they get.

Hopefully Cheaper Than Dirt and Cheaper Than Dirt will kiss and make up and we can have our Army/Navy closet back......
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:37:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Well, there is a problem with surplus now. There ISNT any more. No more wars, iron curtain fell a long time ago, and what the catalog company did have, some of the countries bought back...

And the fact that sold 6.5 mil doesnt mean he made that much. We have a small margin, and paying employees and maintence gets expensive.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 12:38:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Thanks for the replies guys. I think I understand. I am an internet buyer of certian millitary surplus that catches my eye.
I have been a club member of sportsmans guide and have been doing most of my ammo and surplus buying there.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:04:48 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Because he has very few social skills.... and hasn't yet learned how to have a civil fucking conversation, without offending those he engages.  But we are working on him/them.  

But his balls are puffed up enough to sign his post as energizer......

And come on, we tried for years to teach him some social skills and manners, ain't worked yet....

TXL
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:26:45 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

But his balls are puffed up enough to sign his post as energizer......

And come on, we tried for years to teach him some social skills and manners, ain't worked yet....

TXL

Fuck You.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:08:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Question Answered. Thread now deteriorated.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top