Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/31/2006 11:38:31 AM EDT
well just went to break-in and sight my two new ar's at a range that i usually frequent every week and saw something that suprised the crap out of me.

looked around as i waited in line to check my rifles in and notice two signs for range fees instead of one. one read, "bolt actions,rimfires, handguns, single shots, .22 rifles or pistols"- $7.50

second sign read, "military type rifles, semi-automatics"- $8.50

wtf

what the hell is the difference? semi's will throw more lead down range in a shorter time so there has to be an extra fee? asked the person at the register and they didnt know what to tell me and the older guys that are usually there weren't so i just blew it off and plan on calling them later to find out. not sure if this is a good thing or bad but so far it doesnt look too good.

for those that are in houston i am talking about carter's country on treswhig.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:54:53 AM EDT
[#1]
All that I can guess is since they figure one is spending much more on ammo than range fees, that they can squeeze an extra buck out of us without it hurting too bad.    Indeed a discouraging signal.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:57:19 AM EDT
[#2]
wow.

I actually like most of the guys, and gals that work there.  A few helped me when my Bushmaster was choking one day.  I know they've been under pressure from surrounding property owners, which is why they lost the 200 yard range.

oh well, as long as they're there, and it's this convenient for me to go, I'll still go.  I'm glad they added concrete now to the floor, keeps me from having to put my shoes in the washer when I get home.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:04:25 PM EDT
[#3]
gonna find out the reason why it cost buck more later but yeah i agree the place is a lot nicer with the concrete slab instead of the used clay they had on there and the people there have always been A+ towards me.

eta: also noticed that they have a wanted sign for full or part time workers
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:38:11 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
gonna find out the reason why it cost buck more later but yeah i agree the place is a lot nicer with the concrete slab instead of the used clay they had on there and the people there have always been A+ towards me.

eta: also noticed that they have a wanted sign for full or part time workers

then you wouldn't have any free time during the day.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:43:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:00:46 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

So does that mean you can shoot faster without getting bitch on by range nazi?

absolutely not!  
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:07:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Winchester Range (under new management now?) used to prohibit "military style" weapons... including 9mm post-ban semi-auto match target rifles.... yet "sniper rifles" and "combat handguns" (i.e. 1911) were allowed...
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:29:12 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

have to add that to the questions i have for them. would probably make sense if they did allow it for the added buck.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:37:57 PM EDT
[#9]
ok, called and spoke to a very nice lady that explained it all to me.

a bolt action will go through less rounds when brought out there and usually the ones who bring them usually dont go through a lot of rounds.

a semi/ar15 on the other hand would go through about 10x what a bolt action would go through in the same time frame.

all it amounts to is more wear and tear on the target hanging set up which amounts to more maintenance for them.

and there is still no rapid fire or anything of the like

makes sense to me, though i usually shoot a lot of rounds through my bolt action and probably 3-4x as much through my .22 i guess im in the minority. still a great place imo and close to home.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:26:42 PM EDT
[#10]
My kid brothers friend works there...I will ask him to find out what the deal is.  
It seems like just a way to jack us for an extra buck
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:53:18 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
My kid brothers friend works there...I will ask him to find out what the deal is.  
It seems like just a way to jack us for an extra buck

i spoke with the lady that works in the office and she had a legitimate explanation. what i think the main problem is the rash of newbie "assualt rifle" owners that dont know much about the rifle go out and end up tearing up the wood post and what not out there and it makes them change it more often along with the chicken wire they use to hang targets. i also noticed a lot more "holes" in the roof that extends out over the firing line

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:03:27 PM EDT
[#12]
I can accept her maintence reason.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:37:26 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I can accept her maintence reason.

me too, there for about 2hrs and went through 700rds
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:32:39 PM EDT
[#14]
(Edited, wrong thread)

Wouldn't that mean they were biased against military type guns?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:33:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Hmm, screw 'em. How about they start charging extra for anyone holding their pistol sideways instead? It takes me 3 times as long to shoot the same amount of ammo at CC, so I'll just do without 'em from now on.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:46:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Slightly offtopic but does Carter's have a website by any chance?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:40:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Thats odd, ASC just changed their price as well. All rifles are 1 buck lower to shoot than pistols.

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:19:25 AM EDT
[#18]
I don't know about yall, but evey time I am over at CC, I got Thugs-n-harmony, breathing down my neck, all cause "my gun look like SCAR FACE DOGG!"
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:12:33 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Slightly offtopic but does Carter's have a website by any chance?

dont think so.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:51:23 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I don't know about yall, but evey time I am over at CC, I got Thugs-n-harmony, breathing down my neck, all cause "my gun look like SCAR FACE DOGG!"

That's every single public range in the Greater Houston Area.

you're living in a city that has a majority minority population, what would you expect.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:07:15 AM EDT
[#21]
I just don't know what to say.  That is some annoying BS.  The damned once a year deer hunters probably shoot up more shit than we do.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:09:17 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I just don't know what to say.  That is some annoying BS.  The damned once a year deer hunters probably shoot up more shit than we do.

and they told one member here (I believe) that his tricked out AR "man killer" was the reason we're all losing our gun rights.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:48:24 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

that's the f'in truth!
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:53:06 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

and they told one member here (I believe) that his tricked out AR "man killer" was the reason we're all losing our gun rights.

i hate a$$holes like that! should have been there mark, testing my fun gun ar pistol and i got all sorts of snide remarks.

had a guy shooting the post all day long missing come up to me and tell me "that thing looks illegal to me". asked the guy nicely to tell me what was legal and what made my pistol illegal and he couldnt answer but did let him know that shooting like he did could have been illegal too and he just walked off.

i guess people are scared of what they dont know
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:46:37 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

and they told one member here (I believe) that his tricked out AR "man killer" was the reason we're all losing our gun rights. hr

i hate a$$holes like that! should have been there mark, testing my fun gun ar pistol and i got all sorts of snide remarks.

had a guy shooting the post all day long missing come up to me and tell me "that thing looks illegal to me". he
i guess people are scared of what they dont knowhinking.gif

It is people like that who criticize, and do to you what that guy did, ARE going to be the same people running to you for help IF or WHEN the shit hits the fan, and the US gets invaded.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:15:17 PM EDT
[#26]
    I guess the operative word would be "EDUCATION".  Most people at local public ranges do not have the first clue about something of the evil Black Nature.  Teach them something.

I was at Alpine last Wensday with my carry rifle.......PWA M-4orgery, ACOG, Light and etc.  A person came up to me and unloaded  several lines of Left Wing Bull Shit and my answer was; Don't knock it till to try it. I got him on the bench and showed him a few basics and two stage trigger operation and for an NFG, he did pretty good.  He wants to get one of the evil black toys and start spending more time at the range.

In essence:  Might have made a friend.
                       More bucks for the range.
                       He is awear of AR-15.com
                       And he may not be such a horses ass next time he sees the Evil black one.

Got to EDUCATE the dummys as well

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:40:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Last time I was at Carters I got muzzle swept by every race, gender and religion out there. the worst were the ese's and the fudds.  To top all this off, as I was leaving,  was some inbread MF making a reference to my AK as being "Good for cleaning out the 'mud races'".  My reply was that it might be better used for cleaning the mud out of my own race. Dumbass didn't get it.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:15:41 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Last time I was at Carters I got muzzle swept by every race, gender and religion out there. the worst were the ese's and the fudds.  To top all this off, as I was leaving,  was some inbread MF making a reference to my AK as being "Good for cleaning out the 'mud races'".  My reply was that it might be better used for cleaning the mud out of my own race. Dumbass didn't get it.

ahhh shit, good thing there's no one left on my office floor, cause I busted out on that one.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:34:59 PM EDT
[#29]
This is starting to remind me when I met some of the Houston Crew at Hot Wells.  I walked up and asked the group (with my best anti voice) "why does anyone NEED to own a gun like that".  
You should have seen the looks I got
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:07:13 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Not all deer hunters are asshats.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:09:48 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
This is starting to remind me when I met some of the Houston Crew at Hot Wells.  I walked up and asked the group (with my best anti voice) "why does anyone NEED to own a gun like that".  
You should have seen the looks I got

That was indeed a priceless moment....particularly considering that most had CCW's as well.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:42:13 AM EDT
[#32]
OK, New member here from Central Texas (Waco area). I shoot at Chandlers in Valley Mills which is also a Law Enforcment Educators range. Since I've joined, I've seen more "Black Rifles" then I did in 20 years military service. The range is very very friendly and as far as from what I've seen, there are no restrictions on what you can shoot (Including full auto) . I chose this range over another local range and gun club because the other one was run by people with the same narrow thinking as what's been described here.
If any of you consider coming to this area, I recommend you check www.carlchandler.com. Come on out and we'll throw a few hundred rounds down range .
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:06:18 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
OK, New member here from Central Texas (Waco area). I shoot at Chandlers in Valley Mills which is also a Law Enforcment Educators range. Since I've joined, I've seen more "Black Rifles" then I did in 20 years military service. The range is very very friendly and as far as from what I've seen, there are no restrictions on what you can shoot (Including full auto) . I chose this range over another local range and gun club because the other one was run by people with the same narrow thinking as what's been described here.
If any of you consider coming to this area, I recommend you check www.carlchandler.com. Come on out and we'll throw a few hundred rounds down range .

that is quite a ways from us but thanks for the invite.

welcome to the forums
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:13:13 AM EDT
[#34]
eklikwhoa

Where are you located? Houston?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:18:07 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The damned once a year deer hunters probably shoot up more shit than we do.

Not all deer hunters are asshats.  

Very True- Just the elmer fudds that find the range once a year.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:15:10 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
eklikwhoa

Where are you located? Houston?

houston
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:59:44 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Still going to alpine I see
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:50:39 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
well just went to break-in and sight my two new ar's at a range that i usually frequent every week and saw something that suprised the crap out of me.

looked around as i waited in line to check my rifles in and notice two signs for range fees instead of one. one read, "bolt actions,rimfires, handguns, single shots, .22 rifles or pistols"- $7.50

second sign read, "military type rifles, semi-automatics"- $8.50

wtf

what the hell is the difference? semi's will throw more lead down range in a shorter time so there has to be an extra fee? asked the person at the register and they didnt know what to tell me and the older guys that are usually there weren't so i just blew it off and plan on calling them later to find out. not sure if this is a good thing or bad but so far it doesnt look too good.

for those that are in houston i am talking about carter's country on treswhig.

It like a buffet saying slobs and heavy eaters.....$8.50
neat snackers....$7.50

If you're going to do that -- give a refund to those shoot less.

Idiots!  
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:10:05 PM EDT
[#39]
The more I think of it CC has never impressed me as a place that really welcomed the AR crowd.
I went there several years ago (Trashwig location) to look for some AR accessories.  I politely asked if they had anything for my gun and they looked at me like I was a criminal on crack or something (at the time I was in a suit...an Armani to be exact:)) The only thing they had for "those" kinda rifles was a marked down Hogue grip.  The old counter fart stated that they would never carry "that" type of gun.  
Guess they have come around to the fact that they can make some $$$ off of us...
Not to mention it seems the AR suckers will pay an extra buck to shoot
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:21:48 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 10:59:43 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
blah blah blah blah.....

Shouldn't you be working?  
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 1:19:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:59:19 PM EDT
[#43]
I know its not a good range for any thing but pistols, but Top Gun lets u rent full auto guns, right?

So why couldn't you shoot, like u want there? Like a Double tap, burst, or full.

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:27:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:04:18 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I know its not a good range for any thing but pistols, but Top Gun lets u rent full auto guns, right?

So why couldn't you shoot, like u want there? Like a Double tap, burst, or full.

i love shooting at top gun but only pistol calibers unless you want to pay up the wazoo for frangible. bring my 9mm carbine out there all the time to dump ammo down range.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:26:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Carter Country allowing (encouraging) military type weapons at the range - you don't suppose they sell ammo at Carter's County ?  
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:40:02 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Carter Country allowing (encouraging) military type weapons at the range - you don't suppose they sell ammo at Carter's County ?  

dont get what you are saying but yes cc sells all types of ammo and some of the prices are pretty decent.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:00:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Maybe they are trying to make that maney that they lost on the cases of Wolf Ammo back- one shooter at a time.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:27:09 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Maybe they are trying to make that maney that they lost on the cases of Wolf Ammo back- one shooter at a time.

Even their low end ammo (Black HIlls) is alittle high. I stopped buying ammo from them and bring my own. I don't even think you can put up your own target?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:02:39 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Even their low end ammo (Black HIlls) is alittle high. I stopped buying ammo from them and bring my own. I don't even think you can put up your own target?

very few public ranges will let you put up your own target, I've yet to visit one that will.

-mark
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top