Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/30/2006 7:22:48 PM EDT
Any of you guys have one of these? I am thinking about buying one for my daughter as her 1st rifle.  She is 7 years old and it's either one of these or a .22 Crickett that WallyWorld carries.  I like the idea of the .22 cause it's cheap and cheap to shoot, but problem is, that it is only single shot.  Considering the 995, because it's fun for daddy to shoot, when/if she outgrows it, I'll just throw it into the mix and it's semi. I wouldn't have much use for the little .22.  OK....so deciding factor is that I haven't had a chance to mess with one much. Surely someone on here has one?!?!?  Can you take a measurement from end of buttstock to trigger, so that I can see if it's still going to be too long for her short little arms.    B. Allison
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 10:17:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I had one for a week and sold it for a loss. The rifle slapped my in the face every shot. Not fun at all. A yound girl will probably not be able to operate the bolt. Get her a Ruger 10/22.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 10:45:34 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I had one for a week and sold it for a loss. The rifle slapped my in the face every shot. Not fun at all. A yound girl will probably not be able to operate the bolt. Get her a Ruger 10/22.

amen on the ruger as a first gun
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:03:43 AM EDT
[#3]
+1 on the ruger 10/22     great gun, EZ to use, lots of cool upgrades for later, and good for kids.

Invisiblesoul
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:12:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I looked at the Ruger, but the buttstock was too long for her short arms. Allison
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:38:05 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I looked at the Ruger, but the buttstock was too long for her short arms. Allison

Ruger just introduced the 10/22CRR which has a compact stock with a shorter, 12 3/4" length of pull, 16" barrel, and fiber-optic front and rear sights. Or you could get a standar model with wood stock and cut it down.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:35:25 AM EDT
[#6]
10/22
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:38:57 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Mine was absolute junk.

The FCG broke after the first round I put through it (I believe it was the trigger and hammer cracked in half.

They fixed it for free, but I didn't keep it after that.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:42:14 AM EDT
[#8]
10/22 is for a older kid.

chipmunk is great assuming small frame (7 yr old)

should be good until she is eleven.

Then a 10/22

Or....  get both!
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 12:00:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Go with the Cricket, it is shaped for young short arms, teaches shooting discipline (only 1 shot), and is geared toward children.  There is a guy that sells customized Crickets at the Dallas and Mesquite shows.  The one I'll be buying for my daughter will be the stainless model in a pink stained wood stock.  Pretty cool first rifle for a girl.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:24:17 PM EDT
[#10]
+1 for the Chipmunk!

cool little gun, i learned to shoot with one, i cant think of anything better.  i started shooting a 10/22 shortly there after, but being young, the 10/22 was more fun because it could burn through ammo.  i think a single shot like the chipmunk would be best, the 10/22 might just be too fun if you get trigger happy, i think itd be a lot harder to develop bad habits with a single shot.  just my oppinion though.  good luck!
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:09:08 AM EDT
[#11]
You know I have never understood starting a child on a single shot to teach shooting discipline. As the child's father YOU ARE TEACHING THE DISCIPLINE. When my dad taught me to shoot, he made safety very clear and that if I did not follow his exact directions, the shooting would be over. He could have started me on something belt-fed, and I still would have fired only when he told me to. If you were teaching a class of children, it would make sense to use single shots, but since you'll be right there with your kid, it isn't necessary.

Besides, single shots with become a pain once the kid gets some experience, and you'll want to move up to a semiauto. Save some money, and start with a 10/22.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:04:35 PM EDT
[#12]
I have had a few Hipoint 9mm and had no problems with them.  Shot a few hogs and cyotes with them.  Must have got lucky and got the good ones.  I would stiff deffinatly go with the .22 as a starter.  Cheap to shoot, and will be good for teaching her to hold steady. I would for sure go that rout.  Just got one for my 3yr old.  And when she out grows it frame it and let her keep it as her first gun.  I can make ya a wall mount display case for it put a pic of you and her shootin at age 7.  Will never out grow the value of that.  Good luck!  
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:14:57 AM EDT
[#13]
 My first .22 was a Rossi stainless steel pump action gallery gun.  Tauras has the patent now and they are about $250.  The great thing about this little pump is that it shoots CB Shorts, Long, and Long Rifle.  Start her out with CB's, they sound like a pellet gun.  I have had mine for 21 years (got it at 8 yrs old, happy Bday that year) and still shoot it every summer at turtles.  I let a Buddies 7 year old son shoot it a few weeks ago and he went nuts over it.  I think he is still begging his dad for one.   Just my 2 cents.  The 10/22 is a good gun, but the pump is lighter and smaller.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top