Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/30/2006 7:03:56 PM EDT
To have a loaded rifle in your truck in texas, does what county or city your in matter, Iam thinking about a truck gun.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:09:31 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
To have a loaded rifle in your truck in texas, does what county or city your in matter, Iam thinking about a truck gun.

Yes, it is.  Of course, you'd want to keep it out of sight.

Technically it's legal to walk around Texas with a loaded rifle, but I hear you can be charged with disturbing the peace if it upsets people.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:15:54 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

no it's TX law.

doesn't work though if you roll up into an airport, or something like that.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:18:59 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Really?  So you can't park in an airport parking lot with a rifle behind the seat of your truck?  Where in the law does it prohibit that?  
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:23:28 PM EDT
[#4]
tag
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:21:39 AM EDT
[#5]
The black panthers carried loaded AKs in downtown Houston during a protest and nothing happened to them.

You can carry loaded or not, concelaed or not.  You may not carry your rifle in "a manner intended to alarm."  Whatever that means.

Had an argument with an HPD cop who just got off duty about carrying a "concealed assault rifle" once though.  He told me to put my brand new preban Bushmaster on the concrete and when I asked him to please put it on something soft he pulled out his Glock Fow-Tee (which only he was professional enough to carry) from his FRONT PANTS POCKET and dropped his pistol on the deck as he fumbled with it.  He then proceeded to order me to put my rifle down at gun point after he picked up his heavily dinged pistol off the pavement.  I complied and he proceeded to stand on my rifle putting a nice scratch in the receiver.  AFter assuring him that what I was doing was legal and discussing the fact said black panthers could walk downtown but I cant and this must be RACIAL DISCRIMINATION and he needed to call his supervisor to quote him the law he chilled out and eventually started asking how to get a custom AR built and what it would cost.  After assuring him it was more expensive than he relaised he let me go with a warning after playing with my M900 Surefire and pointing the rifle at some peoples apartments to see how far it shined.

Just because its legal does not mean cops wont mess with you.  Be sure you know the law.  I carry a Texas criminal and vehicular law book in my trunk to point out laws to officers who think they know what is legal and what is not.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:36:42 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really?  So you can't park in an airport parking lot with a rifle behind the seat of your truck?  Where in the law does it prohibit that?  

Yes you can-- do it all the time. Only secure place at the air port is INSIDE the security area, past the metal detectors.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:40:36 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The black panthers carried loaded AKs in downtown Houston during a protest and nothing happened to them.

You can carry loaded or not, concelaed or not.  You may not carry your rifle in "a manner intended to alarm."  Whatever that means.

Had an argument with an HPD cop who just got off duty about carrying a "concealed assault rifle" once though.  He told me to put my brand new preban Bushmaster on the concrete and when I asked him to please put it on something soft he pulled out his Glock Fow-Tee (which only he was professional enough to carry) from his FRONT PANTS POCKET and dropped his pistol on the deck as he fumbled with it.  He then proceeded to order me to put my rifle down at gun point after he picked up his heavily dinged pistol off the pavement.  I complied and he proceeded to stand on my rifle putting a nice scratch in the receiver.  AFter assuring him that what I was doing was legal and discussing the fact said black panthers could walk downtown but I cant and this must be RACIAL DISCRIMINATION and he needed to call his supervisor to quote him the law he chilled out and eventually started asking how to get a custom AR built and what it would cost.  After assuring him it was more expensive than he relaised he let me go with a warning after playing with my M900 Surefire and pointing the rifle at some peoples apartments to see how far it shined.

Just because its legal does not mean cops wont mess with you.  Be sure you know the law.  I carry a Texas criminal and vehicular law book in my trunk to point out laws to officers who think they know what is legal and what is not.

It doesn't mean anything since its incorrect.

Here's the part of the law you are referring:
"displays a firearm or other deadly weapon in a public place in a manner calculated to alarm"
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:32:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:49:15 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, it is.  Of course, you'd want to keep it out of sight.

Technically it's legal to walk around Texas with a loaded rifle, but I hear you can be charged with disturbing the peace if it upsets people.

but that is a false charge - you have to carry it in a manner calculated to cause alarm....key word is calculated - just because a soccer mom was scared does not mean you intended it

In fact, I had a loaded 870 out in the open, carried through the parking lot, of the mall just the other day....no one panicked as far as I could tell (i was carrying it pointed upwards, one handed)
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:53:16 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
You can be cited for a "Rude display of firearms".

Happened to a friend of mine riding his Harley in 1975 with a rifle in a scabbard.

You had look for it, but, the police cited him for it.

Rifle was a 30-30 Marlin, unloaded.

State Trooper's judgement.

Judge threw it out at the bench, but, my friend did not have his rifle for three months of deer season.

This kind of shit pisses me off.  Being "rude" is not illegal.  Carrying a long gun is not illegal.  But since the sheeple were scared you go to jail, etc when no laws were ever broken!
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:32:00 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Yo...he scratched his glock fowtee?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:41:01 AM EDT
[#12]
I generally keep a rifle in the back of my truck, even when parked at the airport.  I have carried into the non-secured area of a local airport, as it isn't posted with the 30.06 signage and not prohibited by any other regulation I am aware of.

Sunday afternoon I was riding around on some private land with a friend and fellow ARFCOMer.  Just after dark, as we were heading out for the night, his jeep got stuck in a creekbed.  

We had to hike a mile or two in pitch dark out of that pasture and up a public county road to get his tractor from the main farm plot.  He was carrying his Colt carbine and I had my M16.  

A few cars drove by, and though they didn't stop to offer us a ride we weren't carrying ina "manner calculated to alarm," so I guess they didn't call the Sheriff either.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:31:53 AM EDT
[#13]
First thing is that the guy was cited back in 1975. I don't have a clue what the law was then, especially since they can change every two years.

The second thing is about being cited. Generally cited means you were given a ticket and allowed to walk. The current law against carrying a gun openly in public is a Class B misdemeanor. There are no citations allowed and an arrest must be made for it to get to court. It can be by an on scene arrest or by getting a warrant. Then the DA has to accept the charges. As mentioned earlier however, what was the law in 1975? It may have been a Class C way back then.

Lastly, a city is allowed to make its own laws and can very easily have enacted such a law. City laws are Class C although citations were not allowed for Class C except for traffic charges until about 8-10 years ago. My city still has such a law on the books and I have seen people arrested for it. It is called transporting a loaded firearm. The state may have allowed you to have the long gun in your vehicle but the city forbids you from loading it. The current state laws allowing concealed carry have outdated that law but it is still on the books.

Without knowing more of the incident, it is impossible to tell what the guy was really charged with and the reason for it being tossed. Also, it does not matter if the law is unreasonable or unconstitutional. Until someone contests it in court and appeals to a higher court, the law stands.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:13:41 AM EDT
[#14]
"Truck guns" are candy for car thieves.  How many threads have you guys seen about gun thefts from cars?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:16:20 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
"Truck guns" are candy for car thieves.  How many threads have you guys seen about gun thefts from cars?

I just leave mine in the open with my doors unlocked.  That way they at least won't break my windows when they steal it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:28:23 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Mostly just from cops...............
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:13:06 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
...HPD cop ... proceeded to stand on my rifle putting a nice scratch in the receiver. ...and pointing the rifle at some peoples apartments...

Did you file a complaint on this officer?  The city compensated you for your loss, right?  Did the officer get charged with displaying a weapon in a "manner calculated to cause alarm"?

(why am I asking?  Of course not!)  

As to the original question, its legal.... but doing it in Houston, Dallas or Austin is far different from doing it in Marfa, Cut-n-Shoot Bug Tussle, Gun Barrell City, or Hereford.

P.S.  +1 on the candy for car theives

{ETA - replaced Cut-N-Shoot cuz its too close to Houston}

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top