Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2006 4:55:57 PM EDT
Part of my duties at work are to keep things running.  Sometimes I have to run out and get small parts.  I needed some screws and pipe fittings this afternoon, and headed out to the hardware store to get them.  The trip to the hardware store takes me through a school zone.  This particular school zone is marked with flashing lights.

I was in a little bit of a hurry to get there to avoid the 20 mph going through the school zone.  Well, as usual, I got held up by some lights and some slow drivers, and made it to the school zone right at 2:00.  As I was approaching the school, I saw a LaPorte cop sitting in a parking lot just before you get to the school.  He pulled out right behind me, as I approached the school zone.  I  had just crossed an intersection and was going about 30 mph.  The school zone starts about 30 yards past the intersection.  The lights started flashing when I was about 1 car length before the school zone starts.  I slammed on my brakes bringing my speed down to 20.  The cop almost rear ends me, and then changes lanes and goes after the driver that was about 4 car lengths ahead of me.  He pulls this guy over and I guess writes him a ticket for speeding in a school zone.   I know that this guy didn't see the lights start flashing.  Talk about being mugged by the state.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 5:50:32 PM EDT
[#1]
"...and I guess..."

Maybe you should not assume.  Maybe his registration or inspection was out or something else.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:11:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:17:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Be glad, if it had been Harris county, the cop would have written you a ticket for reckless driving and disorderly counduct just to really piss you off.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:44:51 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I bet the other guy had a dog in the car.

LOL!

On a more serious tone... while I totally agree with you..... let us hope the other guy got off with a stiff warning  (yeah.... right)

But around my house, several school zones dont have flashing lights.  They have signs, with hours printed on them.  So do the areas with flashing lights.  If I am within 5 minutes of the time zone on the sign.... I slow down.  Not because I really think the difference between 20 or 30 matters.  Not because of respect for the rule of law.  Just because I know the cops watch those like a hawk... and I hate throwing my money away to the revenue generating traffic force of today.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:25:04 AM EDT
[#5]
There is a school zone by my work that is no more.

Story is the school caught fire this past summer. The city kept the school closed this year, I guess for repairs. To go one step farther, the city also completely removed the flashing school zone signs from the street. Funny thing is the regular traffic that passes this way every day keeps slowing down to 20 mph for the school zone that isn't there.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:06:19 AM EDT
[#6]
I used to work up on Jensen drive (lovely area).  There was a school up there that didn't have any school zone signs around it.  The really strange thing was most of the kids walked to school.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 1:52:44 PM EDT
[#7]
This chapped me, if I may vent a little -

I was driving through a school zone in a neighborhood on the north side of San Antonio. The kids were walking home and I was following the law going 20mph. I was the only car travelling on street. The street was divided with a 15' median. Ithe median was a line of middle-school youth, about six of them, who were walking on the median parallel with my direction. As I approached, they just stepped out in front of me (no crosswalk, just a random place on the street), and I had to slam on my brakes to keep from hitting them. The whole line sauntered across the street without giving me a glance, like it was a priviledge for me to stop for them that day.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:33:49 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
This chapped me, if I may vent a little -

I was driving through a school zone in a neighborhood on the north side of San Antonio. The kids were walking home and I was following the law going 20mph. I was the only car travelling on street. The street was divided with a 15' median. Ithe median was a line of middle-school youth, about six of them, who were walking on the median parallel with my direction. As I approached, they just stepped out in front of me (no crosswalk, just a random place on the street), and I had to slam on my brakes to keep from hitting them. The whole line sauntered across the street without giving me a glance, like it was a priviledge for me to stop for them that day.

It's times like that when I love my truck (3in pipe with no muffler) I just pop it into nuetral and hit the gas while i'm slowing down. You'd be surprised how fast they can make it across when they hear it
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:56:34 PM EDT
[#9]
There aren't any laws against roof mounted, remote operated paintball guns, are there?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:42:26 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
There aren't any laws against roof mounted, remote operated paintball guns, are there?

why do that when you can get a frietruck/train horn for your vehicle?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:03:21 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
"...and I guess..."

Maybe you should not assume.  Maybe his registration or inspection was out or something else.  

oooooooooooooh, out of date registration....

It's a tax..

whooptydoooo

txl
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:39:28 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
"...and I guess..."

oooooooooooooh, out of date registration....

It's a tax..

whooptydoooo

txl

I'm wondering how he saw this from behind.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top