Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2006 4:52:02 PM EDT
I just saw on channel 13 news (Houston) that Winchester Firearms will be closing its factory.

What happened???

Dave
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:51:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:42:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Un-friggin' believable!

Boys, I smell a rat in this deal.

I am lookin at my gun case with all my Winchesters in it. I've been supporting the factory.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:25:51 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
What happened???

When was the last time anybody bought a Winchester Rifle?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:12:32 PM EDT
[#4]
does this mean no more winchester value pack?

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:13:57 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
does this mean no more winchester value pack?

The firearms company is United States Repeating Arms Company, they make firearms that carry the Winchester name.  Olin Corp owns the Winchester name and makes ammunition, they gave USRAC  permission to use the Winchester name until 2007.

USRAC is part of FN Herstal.

mm
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:56:02 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What happened???

i sell more winchesters than anything else, but apparently not anymore, my last two are on the way
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:16:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:18:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 2:13:51 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
What happened???

Probably while you were typing this message.....Teddy Roosevelt swore by his 1895

Doubtful. More likely they bought a FN Herstal US Repeating Arms Rifle, with the Winchester name slapped on it somewhere. Not much different than Taurus PT92 pretending to be a Beretta 92.

Anybody here think they have bought BF Goodrich Tires in the last 20 years? You didn't. Be even funnier if you hate Michelin Tires.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 2:19:38 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Probably while you were typing this message.....Teddy Roosevelt swore by his 1895

I tend to agree with RenegadeX on this one. When was the last time WInchester put something on the market that catered to the new shooters. The only company that can thrive upon 50-100 year old design is probably Porsch.

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:51:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:32:36 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm not arguing that Winchester is not a great part of the American/Gun history. It's just an indication of the market trend. Winchester's parent company is doing fine rolling out new products, and maybe the market simply isnt big enough for the type of guns Winchester is producing anymore.

You know I'm not a collector, I shoot everything I own. Having had Winchester Model 70's and 94's. I just think there are alot of other guns on the market that does the job better and have more options. FN has put out some cool new teasers lately, just not anything badged under Winchester.

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 11:12:41 AM EDT
[#13]
The craziness has already started. The local toy store had half a rack of old 94's on consignment for months and, today, they're all gone.

wganz

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 11:19:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 11:24:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 11:57:31 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

US Repeating Arms is Winchester. They reissued the breakdown Model 1895 a couple of years ago in .405 Winchester. It's made in the U.S. The U.S. Factory is closing in March. That is what the fuss is about as they'll begin using overseas plants to make all the rifles. If you want a US made Winchester you might want to grab one.

No.

US Repeating Arms is a company owned by FN, that has licensed the "Winchester" name from Olin Corporation. They make clones of rifles that Oliver Winchester designed (and his company Winchester Repeating Arms Company made), and slap the Winchester name on them. But they are still USRA rifles.

It seems from the press releases that the reason the plant is closing is Olin is going to stop licensing the "Winchester" name, and FN/USRA will no longer be able to fool the masses into thinking they are buying "Winchesters". Obviously from this thread, they have been very successful with this deception.

If you want to buy a Winchester Rifle make sure it was made before 1981, as that was the last time Winchester Repeating Arms Company made a gun. ETA, and if you need parts for your genuine Winchster, USRA is no help, since they do not make anything Winchester, just slap the name on stuff.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:20:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:47:42 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Forget about it. All of you seem to hate Winchester. Fine. The collectors will laugh all the way to the bank

Your partly right sir. While I do not hate Winchester rifles at all, I am also not a collector.

Also FN has other plants that manufactures fire arms in the USA.

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:21:08 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Clones of the rifle? Isn't every AR15 a clone of an original AR15?

Yep, so if you want a Genuine Colt, buy a Genuine Colt, not a Double Star.

Quoted:

Forget about it. All of you seem to hate Winchester. Fine. The collectors will laugh all the way to the bank

Yep, the collectors know a real Winchester from brand clone.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:26:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Sad.

I took quite a few deer with a 94 - my first deer, to be exact.

Wonder if 231 will still be available...
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:50:40 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Ammunition and components, including poders, are made by Olin.

mm
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 10:02:24 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ammunition and components, including poders, are made by Olin.

mm

Thanks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top