Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/13/2006 9:30:20 AM EDT
Hello.  One way or another i am moving out of NJ at the end of the year.  My brother is graduating college in 2 months and is going to look for a job in the dalls FW area.  He mentioned that i should go live with him since it could cut down on both are living expenses.  So i figure why not.  I jsut got some question.  I own a construction company which i would just move to where i go since i am the only employee.  How is the construction and real estate industry in that area.  I'd be looking to buy lots and build spec houses on them.  Are things selling well in that area?  Also, alot of my work is retaingwalls and brick pavers.  Are they big in that area?

Is dallas a real big city?  I live in rural northen nj.  I never really left the town i live in.  Furthest i've been is PA.  I really just want to expereince a whole different part of the country as i figure out what exactly i really want to do in life.

What ever you can awnser i'd appreciate it.

Matt
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:47:54 AM EDT
[#1]
I can't comment specifically on Dallas, but I think this would apply to Texas as a whole...

In the construction business, you'll need to compete with people who are heavily loaded with cheap labor.  I had a friend who moved his tree care business from Chicago to Austin.  He's surviving, but he's really had to specialize in tree rescue or tree consulting rather than simple "tree care", which  is now dominated by people who can hire day laborers.

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:03:28 AM EDT
[#2]
I own a restoration company in McKinney which is 60 miles north of Dallas.  Business is well and alive.  We do hire some day labor, but we try to 'keep it in the family' so to speak.  Dallas is a big city, but due to the city government it is starting to wither away and die.  Things are much better in the suburbs about 30 miles away.  The DFW 'area' is alive and kickin'.  Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:18:29 PM EDT
[#3]
If you like working on Historic homes come to McKinney. We have a shortage of experienced all around general contractors. The city has has 3000 new homes built this year, and it is all spreading north. Youll be busier than a three peckered billy goat.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 5:34:46 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I own a restoration company in McKinney which is 60 miles north of Dallas.  Business is well and alive.  We do hire some day labor, but we try to 'keep it in the family' so to speak.  Dallas is a big city, but due to the city government it is starting to wither away and die.  Things are much better in the suburbs about 30 miles away.  The DFW 'area' is alive and kickin'.  Hope this helps.

60 miles????  how far north are you??? I am in McKinney and it is more like 27 miles to downtown Dallas on 75 (just google mapped it).

what exactly does a restoration company do?  fire damage/cleanup?
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 5:36:32 AM EDT
[#5]
NJ to TX.... the best move I ever made
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:24:13 AM EDT
[#6]
God bless Texas!!!
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:25:24 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Quoted:

60 miles????  how far north are you??? I am in McKinney and it is more like 27 miles to downtown Dallas on 75 (just google mapped it).

what exactly does a restoration company do?  fire damage/cleanup?[/quote

Ok, 27 miles...Wow, some people are right on the money about everything.

We do historic restorations.  Our oldest house is pre-civil war 1857.  We keep the historic significance on the outside true to the period and modernize the inside.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:27:13 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

what exactly does a restoration company do?  fire damage/cleanup?[/quote

Ok, 27 miles...Wow, some people are right on the money about everything.

This is CHLmama, by the way!  1IV is my hubby!

We do historic restorations.  Our oldest house is pre-civil war 1857.  We keep the historic significance on the outside true to the period and modernize the inside.

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:55:23 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Hello.  One way or another i am moving out of NJ at the end of the year.  My brother is graduating college in 2 months and is going to look for a job in the dalls FW area.  He mentioned that i should go live with him since it could cut down on both are living expenses.  So i figure why not.  I jsut got some question.  I own a construction company which i would just move to where i go since i am the only employee.  How is the construction and real estate industry in that area.  I'd be looking to buy lots and build spec houses on them.  Are things selling well in that area?  Also, alot of my work is retaingwalls and brick pavers.  Are they big in that area?

Is dallas a real big city?  I live in rural northen nj.  I never really left the town i live in.  Furthest i've been is PA.  I really just want to expereince a whole different part of the country as i figure out what exactly i really want to do in life.

What ever you can awnser i'd appreciate it.

Matt

If you like to shoot this is the wrong state to live in. EVERY sq inch is private and fenced off with barbed wire. Unless you know someone with many many acres of land you wont be shooting unless you go to a pay to shoot range. Even then a lot of them charge PER gun. Not to mention Dallas is a shithole.

Texas is not the shooters paradise everyone thinks it is. Just the opposite.
Move to Vegas. Construction is BOOMING and it IS a shooters paradise.

Mostly any of the westen United States would be a better move than Texas. 2 good choices for shooting and construction would be Arizona (Outskirts of Phoenix, and Tucson), Nevada (Vegas). Do some research on other states before moving here.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:03:24 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
God bless Texas!!!

+1
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top