Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/12/2006 1:38:53 PM EDT

I was thinking the othe day after heading home from carters out in Spring, if I bought some land in rural or semi-rural area, why couldnt I build a small private range?

My question is what are the requirements in Texas for shooting firearms?

If you look at carters, its not far from a major road . Also what about noise issues? any info about this would be appricated. thanks
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:35:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Going off the top of my head, it's against the law to shoot across public roads and to create a noise nuisance near private property.  Buy a large enough plot of land away from neighbors and build a good backstop, and it's a start.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:51:52 PM EDT
[#2]
From what I remember it think you are good to go if it's unincorporated, but will need at least 10 acres if is in a municipality.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:20:26 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

My question is what are the requirements in Texas for shooting firearms?

I concur with topgunpilot20. You are probably good to go outside of the city. I found a couple of statutes that may apply to your situation.

You cannot shoot from or across a public roadway. You cannot discharge a firearm in a public place except at a "sport shooting range". The way the Penal Code define "public place" in this statute is if the unreasonable noise reaches the public property or private residence that you have no right to occupy.  The noise is presumed to be unreasonable if it is over 85 decibels and you have received a warning from a magistrate or peace officer.
TX Penal Code 42.01(a)(7) and (8)

The "sport shooting range" can be controlled by city or county ordinances, rules or laws. The code also states that the "sport shooting range" is a business, private club or association. It does not mention shooting for private purposes.
Local Government Code 250.001(a)(b) and (c)

From what I gather from these two sets of statutes, as long as you are on your own property outside of the city and noise over 85 decibels doesn't go onto someone else's residence, you are free too shoot away.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:30:19 AM EDT
[#4]
had private land out in wharton and the local pd stated as long as you shoot to the rear of your land and not after dark or before sun up it was fine.

the piece of land was about 13acres with a hill/backstop at the rear and was a world of fun when we had it. now we own land in denton which is slightly larger but there is no rear backstop and the neighbors seem to shoot throughout the day. plan on building a backstop near the end of the land so it would be safe to shoot at.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:13:04 AM EDT
[#5]
If your 'sport shooting range' is located in the county as opposed to the city limits, noise limits usually do not apply.

I'll look through my papers to find the specific law, but if there are NO noise limits in the county where the range is located, then your private range cannot be singled out for a noise complaint from firearms. Just ask my shitty yankee neighbor across the fence.

Texas State Rifle Association did a great job getting this signed into law.

Of course, common sense would apply here.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top