Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/12/2006 9:46:33 AM EDT
Hill Country Rifle Range (aka Crazy Richard's for the locals), the only range anywhere near Austin that allows NFA firearms, rapid fire, steel targets, .50 BMG, etc. is going out of business by sometime in the middle of July as Richard has decided to sell out and await the End Times way out in west Texas. This leaves us Austin area/Central Texas folk with a quandry as to that to do about a decent place to shoot come this summer. All the other outdoor ranges in the area have too many unreasonable restrictions on firearm types, ammunition, target composition and rapid fire.  The new Hays County range Texas tactical is using does not allow steel targets for rifles at any range (nor do they have any acceptable long range lanes at all), and the Tiger Valley range is Waco is simply too far and too expensive.  Both the Manor "Austin Skeet" range and the Austin Rifle Club range do not allow rapid fire or NFA weapons.

I'd absolutely love to be able to buy a piece of land out in the boonies to turn into a private range for myself and my close shooting friends, but I simply don't have the available income to make that happen with land prices the way they are. We've talked about the possibility of forming some kind of club and raising money to buy land collectively, but its really bloody hard to herd enough cats to get that kind of thing done. I know I sure don't have the knowledge and resources to make that kind of thing happen.

So what we've considered is the relatively rare practice of leasing land for the express purpose of having a place to shoot (as opposed to hunting or cattle grazing, etc). Anyone know one can go about getting information about this kind of thing or how to find landowners interested in leasing their land to shooters? What are the usual market rates for this kind of agreement? Are there generally paperwork/insurance/liability concerns involved?

Does anyone around here know any landowners who have appropriately sized and located parcels of land within 75 miles of Austin who are willing to lease their property to a group of safe, responsible and respectful shooters? This landowner would have to be willing to have few if any restrictions on the weapons employed and would need to allow things like NFA firearms, 50 BMG rifles, rapid fire, FMJ bullets, etc (ideally we'd also like the ability to use tannerite targets as well, but I know some people can be skittish about this). In exchange for this leniency, we would be contractually obligated to keep the range safe, clean and build the necessary infrastructure (berms, tables, etc if needed) to ensure liability concerns, that projectiles would not leave the property and that the property would not suffer unreasonable damage. Said parcel of land would also have the ability to support unobstructed (or clearable) firing lanes up to at least 300 meters.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:29:00 AM EDT
[#1]
I will have to disagree with you on Tiger Valley, if you go the group shoots, it is VERY reasonable. I have never shot at a better range myself, and T.J. will make sure you have a good time there, respectfully, Wayne B.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:50:51 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I will have to disagree with you on Tiger Valley, if you go the group shoots, it is VERY reasonable. I have never shot at a better range myself, and T.J. will make sure you have a good time there, respectfully, Wayne B.

Everything you say is correct! Tiger Valley is an absolutely fabulous shooting facility, made so by TJ and the rest of the top-notch crew there.

However, Tiger Vally is not a place you can go whenever you wish. They have to open the range and invite people, or you have to schedule a time to open the range and make it worth their while (a group shoot or high-buck day lease). Tiger Valley isn't open to people on a daily basis and therefore does not make the list of places to go shooting.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:53:23 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Hill Country Rifle Range (aka Crazy Richard's for the locals), the only range anywhere near Austin that allows NFA firearms, rapid fire, steel targets, .50 BMG, etc. is going out of business by sometime in the middle of July as Richard has decided to sell out and await the End Times way out in west Texas.

Is this a done deal, and if not, any idea how much he's selling the property for?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:57:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Richard said some rich lawyer bought the place and has no intention of keeping it open as a range. With the price of land skyrocketing out there, its probably finally worth it to buy that place despite the cost of removing 30 years worth of lead and scattered brass in order to develop it for housing.  

He wouldn't say how much the land sold for, but I will say he has already turned around and bought nearly 800 acres in Edwards county for cash.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:02:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:18:11 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The rule about not shooting steel with rifles pertains to the ranges steel. We currently do not have any steel  that is rated for rifles. If anyone wants to bring out their own steel and shoot it they are more than welcome to.

Hmm, when I was out there last about a year ago there were no lanes available for rifle shooting past 100 meters.  Are there now?  If so, what exactly is available for long distance rifle shooting?  Will the berm support shooting full auto bursts offhand out past 100m at steel targets? If I buy a membership can I come up and shoot anytime or will I have to make sure theres no match going on that day?  What about 50 BMG rifles?

I likes the setup out there for shooting pistol/SMG type shooting, but about 75% of the shooting I like to do is with rifles from various field positions (sometimes off the bench but rarely) at steel human torso targets at ranges from 100m-500m.  I have no particular interest at all in shooting paper or doing CQB carbine type shooting.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:11:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:01:11 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Richard said some rich lawyer bought the place and has no intention of keeping it open as a range. With the price of land skyrocketing out there, its probably finally worth it to buy that place despite the cost of removing 30 years worth of lead and scattered brass in order to develop it for housing.  

He wouldn't say how much the land sold for, but I will say he has already turned around and bought nearly 800 acres in Edwards county for cash.

GREAAAT.  The family place now has crazy Richard for a neighbor.  I'll have to alert my uncle  in case CR starts violating the goats.

BTW:  Land in Edwards County can be had for around 500$ an acre, sometimes less.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 11:21:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 2:07:51 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't know of any parcels of land, but am willing to join in the effort.  It is a shame that Hill Country is closing down.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 2:49:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Why not just get yourself a hunting lease?  They might not allow extensive modifications, but at least it's a place to shoot.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:07:24 PM EDT
[#12]
+1 to JohnInAustin

Side Benefit is if some Ferral Hogs happen to "throw" themselves into the line of fire attempting to shield your targets, so much the better!!

BIGGER_HAMMER
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top