Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/11/2006 7:12:51 PM EDT
Any place to shoot here besides Rustic?  

I just moved to Lubbock and went to Rustic for the first time.  It was fine for handguns but you must shoot seated at the rifle range?  AR/AK's are no fun sitting at a bench.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:55:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Might want to get to know some good ol boys with land.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:56:45 PM EDT
[#2]
last I recall-- 10-15 years ago... they had the best range-- 2 separate plinking ranges...
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:00:30 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
last I recall-- 10-15 years ago... they had the best range-- 2 separate plinking ranges...

They still have those, but its pistols/rimfire only.  

Rustic is the only rifle range these days, you can go to Patriot Firearms off 49th and frankford and shoot at the indoor pistol range, it is excellent (and $10 bucks range fee for a day).

I'll only go to rustic to sight something in, beyond that there isn't much for rifle shooting.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:24:08 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Rustic is the only rifle range these days, you can go to Patriot Firearms off 49th and frankford and shoot at the indoor pistol range, it is excellent (and $10 bucks range fee for a day).

I'll only go to rustic to sight something in, beyond that there isn't much for rifle shooting.

Last I recall they had a rimfire/pistol section w/ small targets that were fun to mow over with Ruger 10/22s and 50rd mags, and a centerfire section to the right with large and HUGE targets way off in the back, which allowed rifles, like a 30-30, 9mm ARs, etc. Certain rifles were not allowed-- mainly if the ammo would pierce the target, such as a .223. I wonder if they would allow soft point for .223... Back then, their signs were (maybe still are) mixed up on which range was which, but they allowed it.

At the time, we were also "regulars" there (like every other day). The owner would let us come in even before they opened. Snow days were fun. Blowing up water jugs with super hot 9mm JHP reloads was really fun too...

That is my favorite all-time range because of the plinking, and I wish there was one like it in the DFW area.

Get a 9mm AR, and you'd have a blast there.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:41:39 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Last I recall they had a rimfire/pistol section w/ small targets that were fun to mow over with Ruger 10/22s and 50rd mags, and a centerfire section to the right with large and HUGE targets way off in the back, which allowed rifles, like a 30-30, 9mm ARs, etc. Certain rifles were not allowed-- mainly if the ammo would pierce the target, such as a .223. I wonder if they would allow soft point for .223... Back then, their signs were (maybe still are) mixed up on which range was which, but they allowed it.

At the time, we were also "regulars" there (like every other day). The owner would let us come in even before they opened. Snow days were fun. Blowing up water jugs with super hot 9mm JHP reloads was really fun too...

That is my favorite all-time range because of the plinking, and I wish there was one like it in the DFW area.

Get a 9mm AR, and you'd have a blast there.

Ah, that brings back memories of the days when I was going to school at TTU. I actually wore out my 10/22 there from shooting so many rounds on the steel targets. 22LR was the only thing I could  afford to shoot  back them. I went through 4 scopes on that 10/22. I bought them at Service Merchandise  and kept taking them back every time they died for a new one. We shot 3000 rnds a week there (between 2 of us). The range owner was a real nice guy.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:59:14 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Ah, that brings back memories of the days when I was going to school at TTU. I actually wore out my 10/22 there from shooting so many rounds on the steel targets. 22LR was the only thing I could  afford to shoot  back them. I went through 4 scopes on that 10/22. I bought them at Service Merchandise  and kept taking them back every time they died for a new one. We shot 3000 rnds a week there (between 2 of us). The range owner was a real nice guy.

SAME HERE! 550 rounds each, every other day... I wore out my extractor. My friend would usually pick me up after class, and we would head right over there...

When were you there?!

One day two of us went through 1500 rounds at the plinking range in just over an hour, thanks to the Ramline speedloader...
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:57:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Thats a lot of .22, I'd have to go buy a new .22 just to attempt that.  I've put about 15K through my remington 597, but there are things that don't work right anymore.  I'll have to get myself a 10/22 next time.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:46:57 AM EDT
[#8]
and don't forget 50rd mags and a speed loader...

I hope Ramline comes back and makes 50rd mags--  mine are getting worn out/dirty, and I need a speed loader should I ever want to shoot my 10/22 again... Loading those is not fun.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:31:56 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

SAME HERE! 550 rounds each, every other day... I wore out my extractor. My friend would usually pick me up after class, and we would head right over there...

When were you there?!

One day two of us went through 1500 rounds at the plinking range in just over an hour, thanks to the Ramline speedloader...

Well I can tell you were there much later than I since the Ramline speed loader was introduced a good 5 years after I was up there. I went to TTU from 84 to 89, graduating with a BSME in the summer of 89. I mainly shot out there in 88 and 89 though.

One of my shooting buddies was one of the Lubbock Avalance Journal drivers that would make the 3 am runs to surrounding towns to bulk deliver the papers. I use to go with him in his panel truck and we would pop jacks with our Ruger mk2s as we drove along in no mans land between towns.

For good shooting, just go to some of the farms around the area and ask the farmer if you can hunt jacks on it. Tell him you'll be safe and not leave a mess. This supplied alot of fun for us and kept the jack population down for the farmers.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:37:59 AM EDT
[#10]
don't forget prarie dog villages.... that's very common in that area.

Never went hunting there though.

Now I live in the DFW area.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top