Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/11/2006 8:06:43 AM EDT
Just wondering if anyone here live or go to east Texas (Longview, Marshall, Carthage ect.) on a regular basis?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:19:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Im usually in the Gladewater/ Longview area every other weekend to visit my Grandmother, I dont know a lot about the area though, why do you ask?

ETA: I noticed that there is a gun show in Longview this weekend, but I havent been to one in Longview in years so I dont have any idea if its worth going to now? Anyone make this show before?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:47:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:08:47 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm somewhere East of Tyler, South of Longview.  I shoot, eat, shop, etc. in both locations.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:27:40 AM EDT
[#4]
My lease is about 30 minutes north of Marshall.  What do you want to know?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:38:08 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
ETA: I noticed that there is a gun show in Longview this weekend, but I havent been to one in Longview in years so I dont have any idea if its worth going to now? Anyone make this show before?

I'm hoping to make it to that gunshow Saturday. I have Marine DEP Saturday morning so hopefully I'll make it. I hope the show is good. I've never been to any gunshows in Longview. I usually go to Shreveport, LA

I ask b/c I live in the Carthage area. Nice place here since my gun range is less than 1/4 of a mile down the road (300 yards or so?) from me.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:48:45 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm in Tyler.

I think the Tyler show is the better of the two.  The Longview show just tends to feel
like "bubba" club, very few evil assualt rifles, and very little reloading supplies.
Don't get me wrong, it beats nothing, but I've never found what I needed there.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:02:00 AM EDT
[#7]
I keep threatening to organize an East Texas ARFCOM range day to bring out all the Piney Woods lurkers.  Maybe I should just pick a day in the Spring.

But I need sponsors.  And a side match.  And maybe some bikini girls.  
(Or maybe I can find someone I don't know but everyone else hates to show up and get my account locked.)
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:09:43 AM EDT
[#8]
I have to go to Center pretty regularly to visit the in-laws, but I leave as soon as possible
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:34:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:41:58 PM EDT
[#10]
I live in Longview, have since I was born.
I shoot on a fairly regular basis at the East Texas Rifle and Pistol Club off I-20 towards Kilgore.
I'd definitely be interested in a meet of some sort, but due to work and school I probably couldn't make it until after I finish paramedic school in May.  I will be at the gun show this weekend.  Its not the best show from what I understand (its the only one I've ever been to), but its not horrible.  I got my Sig and Shotgun there for good prices.

Quoted:
I'm somewhere East of Tyler, South of Longview.  I shoot, eat, shop, etc. in both locations.

Kilgore or Henderson?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:59:43 PM EDT
[#11]

And maybe some bikini girls.

I have a party barn.  15'x30' in Canton.  BBQ, beer?

My mother in law lives in Canton...shall I send her over??

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:44:41 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Date, time?

ETA: or we could probably do something at the range in Longview.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:01:01 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm not too familiar with Longview. The only time I go there is either to go to the mall or the the Marine RSS pretty much. I'm about 45 miles from Longview.

Can someone tell me where the gun show will be held at? I remember seeing the billboard, but I can't remember the place.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:25:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Maude Cobb Convention Center.  Near downtown Longview.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:26:30 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I'm not too familiar with Longview. The only time I go there is either to go to the mall or the the Marine RSS pretty much. I'm about 45 miles from Longview.

Can someone tell me where the gun show will be held at? I remember seeing the billboard, but I can't remember the place.

I assume if you are coming from Carthage you will take 59N to Hwy 80, go West on 80 until you come to Spur 63/McCann Rd.  Turn left onto McCann, go down McCann about 1000 ft and turn right on Cotton street.  The Maude Cobb Convention Center is about 3/4 mile down the road to the left, can't miss the big sign.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:51:41 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm often in Mt. Pleasant to see the parental units. I also go to Van and Grand Saline to see relatives.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:21:31 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
My mother in law lives in Canton...shall I send her over??

Is she hot?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:06:07 AM EDT
[#18]

Is she hot?

could be....
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:17:34 AM EDT
[#19]

TRG

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:49:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:53:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Another Longviewian here.  I goto the gun shows at Maude Cobb whenever they are in town.  They are decent, not as good as the ones at Will Roger's in Dallas, but fairly good for the size.  I pick up powder and primers and such there usually, several of my friends have gotten guns there.  Not usually a whole lot in the way of AR15 stuff, but pretty good overall.  I plan on being there Saturday after I finish IDPA in Tyler that morning.

I'd definitely be up for some sort of get together, willing to pitch in food, ammo, whatever.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:21:02 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Another Longviewian here.  I goto the gun shows at Maude Cobb whenever they are in town.  They are decent, not as good as the ones at Will Roger's in Dallas, but fairly good for the size.  I pick up powder and primers and such there usually, several of my friends have gotten guns there.  Not usually a whole lot in the way of AR15 stuff, but pretty good overall.  I plan on being there Saturday after I finish IDPA in Tyler that morning.

I'd definitely be up for some sort of get together, willing to pitch in food, ammo, whatever.

I'll probably be at the IDPA shoot on Saturday too.  Do you shoot them regularly?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:35:18 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Oh what the hell...

www.tvcc.edu/faculty/ballen/pb1.jpg

Just give me some times/dates and we'll set it up.  If more than 4-5 people show up, then there will be no shooting.  

My range is too small to safely accomodate more than a handful of shooters.

TRG

I see plenty to shoot in side the barn. We can give it the ol ARFCOM touch.

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:06:35 PM EDT
[#24]
 I also live in Canton, and TRG's party barn is a blast.  I also have access to about 375 acres in Palestine and have been meaning to Royally piss off the neighbor.  If it will ever rain, we could have a 3 day-2 night shoot.  Try to get as many FA as possible, LOTS of Tannerite, pop-up illums, etc.  I have mentioned to TRG before that I wanted to arrange an Arfcom shoot.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:39:22 PM EDT
[#25]
I say let's get something on the calendar.  Jan and Feb are pretty busy for me, but things will settle down come March.  

If nobody with private land is able to host it, we can probably do it at ETRPC in Longview as long as we abide by range policies -- which are very reasonable for a "real" range, but still more restrictive than what probably goes on behind TRG's Party Barn.

(Shudder.)
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:37:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Im in Ben wheeler. it's between canton and Tyler on HWY 64..... I wanna play..

I have NEVER shot FA, or blown things up.. But I wanna...

Ill get some tannertite maybe....
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:06:39 AM EDT
[#27]
I'm up for anything reasonable
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:38:47 PM EDT
[#28]

So lets get togather and grab lunch before the show and we'll all go at once or something

Quick FTF so we can ponder the details.

Im in Longview BTW
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:54:23 PM EDT
[#29]
I think I'm actually going to the Mesquite show instead of the Longview show since I'll already be in Tyler Sat morning.  But if everyone meets and sets a date for an East TX shoot, let me know.  I'll gladly take as active role a role as possible.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:42:05 PM EDT
[#30]
I live in Lufkin, work in Nacogdoches and we have several customers in Center.
I graduated High School at the Class 3A Division II State Championship school of Tatum!
We did most of our shopping in Longview but some of it in Carthage, Henderson and Marshall.

I probably wouldn't go out of my way to go to the Longview Show and I don't waste my time going to the one in Lufkin.

Market Hall is worth the drive for me as it is the best around our area.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 12:43:01 PM EDT
[#31]
DO NOT waste your money on the Longview show.  It sucked.  All I wanted was a cheap 10/22, I guess I'll just have to go to Walmart and get one.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:39:26 AM EDT
[#32]
Anything new on this idea? I like like freaking 15 miles from 2 of you, yet never met...
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:52:28 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Anything new on this idea? I like like freaking 15 miles from 2 of you, yet never met...

No invite yet huh?

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:16:19 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I'll probably be at the IDPA shoot on Saturday too.  Do you shoot them regularly?

Hopefully more this year.  Last year I mostly did action pistol at ETRPC, and IPSC at 31 West, but IPSC has been pissing me off, so I'm switching to IDPA this year.  (got sick of the "arms race")

I was the dude in the kilt.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:55:19 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No invite yet huh?

BigDozer66

Well, just recently found out they lived close.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:00:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Ok everyone who can make it. Just for a quick FTF.

I will be in Tyler on Thursday and for lunch I will be going to Jasons Deli unless we can decide on something else. Lets get this ball rolling. Who can attend and what time should it be?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:31:04 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I was the dude in the kilt.

Which one?  Everyone wears kilts to IDPA matches anymore.  

I'm the guy who was sitting on the tailgate of the Ford and asked if you were going to the Mesquite show as you were leaving.  I never realized you were into ARs too.  It just confirms my suspicion that there are a BUNCH of black rifle shooters out here.  I don't understand why we don't incorporate them in our matches.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:35:34 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I live in Lufkin, work in Nacogdoches and we have several customers in Center.
I graduated High School at the Class 3A Division II State Championship school of Tatum!
We did most of our shopping in Longview but some of it in Carthage, Henderson and Marshall.

I have a friend in Henderson who teaches school in Tatum.  I think I remember another local lister mentioning your name as being from these parts.

See, they're coming out of the woodwork...
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:23:02 PM EDT
[#39]
My Uncle is the band director at Henderson
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:54:56 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I'm the guy who was sitting on the tailgate of the Ford and asked if you were going to the Mesquite show as you were leaving.  I never realized you were into ARs too.  It just confirms my suspicion that there are a BUNCH of black rifle shooters out here.  I don't understand why we don't incorporate them in our matches.

damn right.  where's the local 3gun scene, eh?  I've been trying to talk up the 3gun idea, but so far not even half a dozen people have been interested, despite nearly everyone i know being properly equipped to do very well.  If we get 10 people interested, I'm pretty sure Doug would let us reserve the range for a match... you interested?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 1:50:27 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
damn right.  where's the local 3gun scene, eh?  I've been trying to talk up the 3gun idea, but so far not even half a dozen people have been interested, despite nearly everyone i know being properly equipped to do very well.  If we get 10 people interested, I'm pretty sure Doug would let us reserve the range for a match... you interested?

I have little interest in shotguns, so I'd be more interested in a "2-gun" concept, but I've talked to Doug about having a carbine or carbine-optional stage at the Longview match on many occasions.  I've even shot some of the stages with my rifles after the match was over.  

I've never done "real" 3-gun, so I wouldn't know how to organize an actual match.  But I'm guessing if we did, we'd end up with several shooters.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:17:38 PM EDT
[#42]
I think a 'side' match after the Action Pistol stages would be a good way to 'ease' into more of that style of matches. Food for thought........

Mike
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:06:52 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
I think a 'side' match after the Action Pistol stages would be a good way to 'ease' into more of that style of matches. Food for thought........

Mike

In your case a) buying/building an AR (have you done that yet) and b) showing up for some matches might be a good start.  I haven't seen you out there for awhile.    I hear you've been shooting matches up in Wichita Falls or somesuch thing.

But I think you're right.  We now have at least 4 verified "regulars" from the Longview pistol shoots taking part in this discussion, and I know of many more who would be interested.  Doug might actually listen to you if you suggested it.  Email or IM me for further discussion.

Aside from this, I still think we need to coordinate some sort of East Texas social event -- doesn't have to be anything elaborate, just some face time and maybe some informal shooting.  I'm booked through the first weekend of March.  After that I think things are open.  

Let's set a date, then we can hijack TRGs barn scout a location.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:27:59 PM EDT
[#44]
 As soon as I finish my new house, I will have more time to relax and try to set up a shoot.  TRG said that an E. Texas gathering would be fun at his place to meet everyone.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:29:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Yeah, I bought a RRA , and am now about to buy another lower to build one for wifey. :)    Guilty as charged about shooting in Wichita Falls. LOL
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:27:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Hope I'm invited...Afterall, this is MY thread :p
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:58:12 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Hope I'm invited...Afterall, this is MY thread :p

I guess it did sort of get hijacked.  But if your "anybody out there" thread turns into an East Texas arfcom event, you can feel honored.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:53:36 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
I have little interest in shotguns, so I'd be more interested in a "2-gun" concept, but I've talked to Doug about having a carbine or carbine-optional stage at the Longview match on many occasions.  I've even shot some of the stages with my rifles after the match was over.  

I've never done "real" 3-gun, so I wouldn't know how to organize an actual match.  But I'm guessing if we did, we'd end up with several shooters.  

2 gun is cool, too, it's all about the transitions.  it might be rough to do scatterguns at first, because you have to have different (and MUCH sturdier, for slugs) kinds of targets and stuff.  also agree that adding a rifle stage to an action pistol match is the easiest way to get in... the poppers for that can take hits from a .223 but theres no way they'd take buckshot/slugs.  something to think about.  if you want me to contact doug, we'll need to think of a way to sweeten the deal for him, maybe like 2gunners pay a few bucks extra and can do some of the stages twice or something.  food for thought.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:26:19 AM EDT
[#49]
I think one of the biggest issues will be the actual design of the range itself. The only bay that I think would be considered "safe" would be the pistol bay. I imagine general consensus would be the others are too wide open, not high enough bermed. ( I've met the BOD for the range. LOL )  I also think since none of the range officers have 'seen' anyone do much black rifle stuff, may need a way to demonstrate proficiency. ( Or at least that you know which end is the dangerous one hooting

Mike
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:28:11 AM EDT
[#50]
ETRPC 2-gun discussion continued here.

Hostages have been released.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top