Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2006 2:28:35 PM EDT
I would first like to say hi to everybody. This is my first post so I thought I would do it locally(Texas) LOL.
I'm a former Marine and was with 2/3 in Kbay from 89-94 and with 4th Tanks from 94-97.
I just recently purchased a Bushmaster M4, 16" variety and was wanting to get a little work done to it, but I don't know where to go.

Looking for a gunsmith in the Houston, Conroe, Woodlands area that can do some work that is more familiar with M4 mods than myself. I had the A2 when I was in and didn't use the M4 so I am still unfamiliar with it.
I am wanting to get some rails installed(probably LaRue or another good brand).

My biggest dilema right now is do I install a solid rail system or just the 2 piece and install them myself.

The weapon will be used for security and for home defense, plus alot of plinking.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I found this site about 2 weeks ago and have been reading quite alot on it. So I have decided to mod the M4 and looking for some ideas.

So far I want to add:
Either Full Floater Rails or 2 piece system. Something stable and reliable
Surefire M910A
Tactical sling

Purchased so far:
Bushmaster Patrolmans model M4 w/16"barrel
Trijicon ACOG TA31RCO
ishot 36" TAC Carbine Case(Tan)
8 30rd clips from Bushmaster
4  Strike M4 Mag pouches from Blackhawk(Tan)
900rds. M855 on stripper clips from The sportsmans guide

I would like to say thanks for such a great site, and some of these purchases were directly related to the information that I received from the site. So thanks alot and also for knockin a dent in the pocket book.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:32:56 PM EDT
[#1]
General advice would be to lurk a while before spending a bunch of money on the latest-and-greatest stuff, and to be careful of cheerleaders vs. real folks.  

Also, it is a certainty that genuine folks here will help with not only knowledge, but also tools and labor to build whatever your heart desires.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:43:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I appreciate the comment and am familiar with the gotta have it wagon train. The cheerleader vs. real deal has been around quite some time and this isn't the only board for info gathering, so I try to weigh my decisions on experience first, then others opinions and ideas. I have never been one have to have it cause the other guy does. I don't keep up with the jones, never have, never will. I  make my purchases accordingly and gear them towards my own personal use.

Thanks for the info though and posting. Now hopefully somebody will answer my original question. It seems that myself and another person posted about the same question right about the same time.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:51:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Contact NFA Investments, He is in your area and I am sure he can answer all your questions and then some that you didn't think about. If not him try Coz45 is in the 1960 area.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:49:17 PM EDT
[#4]
if your only going to be doing a little plinking and close work i would go with a two piece system and not free float.

i recommend Coz and NFA to a lot of folks for a lot of things.  but this is something that you can do your self.  shoot.  with a couple simple shop tools you can add a free float tube.  you need a nice big vice, a action block a 1/16" pin punch, rubber hammer and a barrel wrench.  

as far as this stuff goes the M4 is just like your A2 except the barrel and hand guards are shorter.

feel free to come to Tuesday night and we will fill you in.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:07:35 PM EDT
[#5]
if you dont plan on mounting optics on the handguard then go with the non-freefloat to keep from the headaches and added cost of tools.

midwest industries offer some great ones in both flavors, freefloat and non.

the surefire is a great choice but its not for everyone. some do not like the size, weight or the balance of it. i myself prefer it.

all of which i would recommend that you try them out or further explore your options cause there are lots and lots of choices out there and tend to different needs.

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:09:37 PM EDT
[#6]
nfa_investments is the local gunsmith and highly recommended.

also its mags and clips aid in loading the mags.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:19:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:46:57 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
NFA Investments is a great choice for smith work.

I can help out with pricing on gear and am glad to do so...as long as you don't call your magazines "clips" ever again.....

hr

Ya, ya got me on the clip thing. We usually called them clips or mags. Kinda like goin to a convenience store and askin for something. Get me a coke, didn't matter that ya asked for coke, they always knew what ya actually wanted. hingHey COZ_45 I will get with you when I get closer to getting in and maybe we can get together and show me some different gear or options that may be beneficial for what I want.

Thanks for everything everybody, you are a tremendous help and the website is great.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:41:02 AM EDT
[#9]
You could also try Kenco Arms . He is up in Conroe area and was at the new years eve shoot. Had some fun toys with him!!
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 11:48:46 AM EDT
[#10]
A big +1 for Keith at NFA investments.  He just did some work on my xm177 clone, and it looks great!!!! I can't wait to go shoot it now.  Will post pics soon.  

Howard
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:14:53 PM EDT
[#11]
NFA Investments

Ed Vandenberg- does the stuff NFA is equiped ot do.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:45:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Hey LakoTah,

Just wanted to post a couple of examples of NFA_Investment's fine skill- I had a M-11 come in that was all FUBARed and he was able to get it in working order quickly!

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:36:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:36:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Now that's funny, I don't care who ya are, that's funny. Good ole' southern engineering.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:37:59 AM EDT
[#15]
The guy that sold it to me called me a liar when I told him it was a POS and the frame was bent.  He sent me the $2k back for it though

Nice thing is that it has provided tons of comic releif for the board, myself and NFA_Investments!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top