Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/7/2006 10:37:53 PM EDT
Want someone who can build me an accurate AR15 from parts, including installing a new match barrel. THE LAST THING I WANT IS A $2,500 SCRATCHED AND TOOL MARKED RIFLE DELIVERED TO ME. I'm looking for top accuracy as well, but not a tournament rifle.

Any recommendations or experience with a skilled and neat smith WHO REGULARILLY WORKS WITH AR's that you can refer me? Just the same, if you have warnings of who to avoid, feel free to IM me.  I prefer doing business with a smith within driving distance of Houston I can meet face to face.

(  No "Hello. I'm the one who can do it for you." replies please. Somehow I doubt  that the feedback folks would provide about themself would  be anything short of excellent.     )
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 2:28:35 PM EDT
[#1]
The only gun smith I know of that fits your requst is Vandenburg Customs www.vandenbergcustom.com/, but I don't know if he does that kind of work you want.  You can also try calling the local Industry partners in Houston that build AR's (Talon Arms and Holland Gun Works are the two that I know).  The only experience I have with any of these smiths is HGW.  Doug built my brothers upper and its fantastic.      
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:13:16 PM EDT
[#2]
scrathes and tool marks are normal.

what is your idea of a match barrel? where do you plan on getting it from? i have factory ar's that have out shot many bolt actions at the range so your description of accurate is vague.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:10:41 PM EDT
[#3]
munygurus gun:
This is how I want it to look. Think there's any scratches or tool marks on this baby?

In my business, exposed scratches and tool marks are produced by sloppy workers who would grab a part with a Channel-Lock pliers, instead of using an adjustable wrench, strap wrench, or gripping the surface where damage will be hidden underneath.  It can most often be avoided if the guy gave a crap.

I'm sure there are competent smiths out there who know to try to return a rifle to the owner in the same condition it was received. No different when somebody works on your new car.

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:11:26 PM EDT
[#4]

This is a group from Toxic's rifle:

This is how I want to be able to group with reloads. If I am willing to pay the cost of a precision barrel, I would hope there's a skilled and competent crafstmen out there who can do it.
I don't see why not.  

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:47:17 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
munygurus gun:
This is how I want it to look. Think there's any scratches or tool marks on this baby?

In my business, exposed scratches and tool marks are produced by sloppy workers who would grab a part with a Channel-Lock pliers, instead of using an adjustable wrench, strap wrench, or gripping the surface where damage will be hidden underneath.  It can most often be avoided if the guy gave a crap.

I'm sure there are competent smiths out there who know to try to return a rifle to the owner in the same condition it was received. No different when somebody works on your new car.

photobucket.com/albums/v207/munyguru/samr1.jpg

how can you tell from a picture that doesnt show up close detail?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:48:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
This is a group from Toxic's rifle:

This is how I want to be able to group with reloads. If I am willing to pay the cost of a precision barrel, I would hope there's a skilled and competent crafstmen out there who can do it.
I don't see why not.  

photobucket.com/albums/v260/toxicar/groups006.jpg

regardless of what rifle did this are you capable of doing this?

to quote bigbore,"it's the singer not the song".
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:58:59 PM EDT
[#7]
not trying to rain on your parade just stating things that you should consider.

the ar isnt a perfect product like everything else that is man made. the recievers themselves have imperfections from the factory, are you going to be able to deal with that?

sometimes they have loose fitment or wobble a bit, does that pass?

i myself have built quite a few ar's and some geared for accuracy more than others but minor scratches and trying to sink the most money into them isnt what im looking for. i look for the best product i can get for money reasonably. also i try to keep within my abilities, by that i mean that im not going to pay thousands of dollars for a custom rifle when all im capable of is hitting barns.

would hate to spend lots of money on a rifle thinking that its gonna improve my shooting skills.

here are some i built myself and i assure you that they will outshoot any rifle in the wrong hands
also, in the pic you cant tell but the brake is chewed up really bad, couldnt time it for nothing but its hard to tell huh?

what you could do is contact one of the dealers located in the industry forum like

adcofirearms
mstn
dennysguns
gandrtactical

and let them know what you are looking for and they could build you something and then just snap it together with a lower of choice and go from there or even get a complete rifle from them.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:29:12 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The only gun smith I know of that fits your requst is Vandenburg Customs www.vandenbergcustom.com/, but I don't know if he does that kind of work you want.  You can also try calling the local Industry partners in Houston that build AR's (Talon Arms and Holland Gun Works are the two that I know).  The only experience I have with any of these smiths is HGW.  Doug built my brothers upper and its fantastic.      

In the Houston area, Ed has been building AR's longer than anyone.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:19:08 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

In the Houston area, Ed has been building AR's longer than anyone.  

Ed's got all kinds of experience with ARs, and did great work putting a new barrel on my AR.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:15:12 PM EDT
[#10]
ed and only ed
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:59:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Ok, gentlemen. I was standing by and waiting to see what recommendations would arise on this thread.  I also did not receive any IM messages warning me of which smith  to avoid. (I've received such IM messages in the past concerning horror stories, and always appreciate the warning)

I'm glad to hear Vandenberg's name and endorsement come up unanamously for recommendation.

I dealt with him many years ago for some minor pistol smithing and had no complaints, and in fact appreciated his professional demeanor. He also strikes me as the kind of guy that will try to work neat and carefully on your guns, and not cause needless scratches or  blemishes.  I haven't tried him for AR work, but have seen that AR rifles are a main portion of his work, as he prominently displays his AR rifles at the Big Gun show held two or 3 times a year. I have never cared enough in the past to check out his display at the gunshows while the Clinton Ban was in effect since I woudn't own an AR15 back then.

I'll get a chance to see him at the reliant show in just a couple of weeks in fact, and run my ideas by him.

Eklikwhoa,
Nice rifle. Not far from what I'm looking to do.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:40:22 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
ed and only ed

Yeah, what he said +1

Ed came highly recommended to me. After dealing with him I found that there is no need to go elsewhere. It is a far drive for me (coming from Conroe) but well worth it.

I got to check out some of his AR's when I was there. I left him my FAL to get some work done and was thoroughly pleased with the finished product.

Hope this helps in your decision.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:52:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the kind words guys.  Hope to see most of you at the HGCA show, 21-22 Jan.

Take care,

E
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top