Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/7/2006 12:14:46 PM EDT
Ive been looking up some texas laws, and nowhere in the book do i see anything about rifle carry. Is there any laws against carrying a rifle or shotgun in texas? For example if i had a pistol grip shotgun(legal barrel length) concealed under a coat, and i was walking around a canal at night.
hotgun.gif
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:23:57 PM EDT
[#1]
There are no specific laws that address the carrying of long arms in Texas, as long as the weapons are legal.  However, someone recently pointed out to me that carrying a weapon "with intent to cause alarm" is a crime in Texas, so walking down the street with your AR strapped to your back could land you in jail.

If your rifle/shotgun is concealed, I don't think there should be any issue, but hopefully one of the board lawyers or LEO's could clarify...
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 1:24:13 PM EDT
[#2]
The carrying of longarms is generally not regulated in Texas, of course you should not go to a prohibted place, and you should not carry it in a public place in a manner calculated to alarm;

§ 42.01.  DISORDERLY CONDUCT.  (a)  A person commits an
offense if he intentionally or knowingly:
(8)  displays a firearm or other deadly weapon in a
public place in a manner calculated to alarm;
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 1:41:00 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
There are no specific laws that address the carrying of long arms in Texas, as long as the weapons are legal.  However, someone recently pointed out to me that carrying a weapon "with intent to cause alarm" is a crime in Texas, so walking down the street with your AR strapped to your back could land you in jail.

If your rifle/shotgun is concealed, I don't think there should be any issue, but hopefully one of the board lawyers or LEO's could clarify...

That is not a manner "calculated" to alarm...
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 2:45:07 PM EDT
[#4]
carry concealed or otherwise....just dont threaten anyone....(thou shalt not carry in a manner calculated to alarm)   now the calculated to alarm part does not mean that if you carry it and soccer mom goes hysterical that you broke the law - you have to *intend* to cause alarm....

now, the disorderly or public disturbance charges that arise from this is pure 100% bullshit and abuse of power
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:01:55 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Sure, just stuff it down your pants and tell folks you are REALLY glad to see them or that your name is "Chester" and you used to be on "Gunsmoke".
That ought to work one way or another.  Watch out for that other way!
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:28:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Walk down the street in a small town with a rifle or shotgun most people won't even give you a second look. Walk down the street in Dallas with a long arm and you'll be in jail mighty quick.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:14:34 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Walk down the street in a small town with a rifle or shotgun most people won't even give you a second look. Walk down the street in Dallas with a long arm and you'll be in jail mighty quick.

not if you are a black panther....

eta: and illegal arrest at that...
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:46:39 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Agree with the Black Panther comment...

However, a LEO does not make an "illegal arrest" if he arrests someone for a crime which the person is ultimately aquitted, or even if the charge is dismissed.  All the LEO needs is probable cause.  

If you walk down the street is a metropolitan area like Dallas with a long arm, a LEO could arrest you based on your demeanor.  He will have to take the totality of the circumstances into consideration.  How were you dressed, how were you carrying the weapon, what was the proximity to schools, etc?  

In 2006, I wonder how a person could imagine that they could just walk down the street with a long gun and NOT cause alarm.  I don't think the "calculated to cause alarm" is limited to the person actually formulating a plan or doing it with the intent to alarm others.  If you ignore a reasonable risk that the carrying a long gun would cause alarm, that fact could easily be construed as a manner calculated to cause alarm.  

Just a thought.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:59:59 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
In 2006, I wonder how a person could imagine that they could just walk down the street with a long gun and NOT cause alarm.  I don't think the "calculated to cause alarm" is limited to the person actually formulating a plan or doing it with the intent to alarm others.  If you ignore a reasonable risk that the carrying a long gun would cause alarm, that fact could easily be construed as a manner calculated to cause alarm.  

I'm not disagreeing with you, but that's just wrong...  And a shame...
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:15:39 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is not a manner "calculated" to alarm...

In YOUR opinion.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:16:36 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Agree with the Black Panther comment...

However, a LEO does not make an "illegal arrest" if he arrests someone for a crime which the person is ultimately aquitted, or even if the charge is dismissed.  All the LEO needs is probable cause.  

If you walk down the street is a metropolitan area like Dallas with a long arm, a LEO could arrest you based on your demeanor.  He will have to take the totality of the circumstances into consideration.  How were you dressed, how were you carrying the weapon, what was the proximity to schools, etc?  

Just a thought.  

Thank you.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:41:27 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not disagreeing with you, but that's just wrong...  And a shame...

lol  And I agree with YOU.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:28:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Most of the calls I've been on where someone is carrying a long gun while walking have either been hunters walking back to their vehicles or kids with pellet guns. I check IDs and if I feel it necessary check the serial # to see if it is stolen.  Now if it's one of our locals nut cases or crackheads with a long gun it's different story.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 11:10:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Just get a CHL so there are no worries
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 11:12:55 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Just get a CHL so there are no worries

CHL won't help with long guns...
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 11:17:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Get an AK underfolder or side folder with a krink stock and walk around with it under your jacket all day long.  

not that I do, or have one, but it would be pretty easy as long as you can conceal it properly.  But then again why would you ever need to unless you're protecting property, and if you're protecting property there's not reason to have it concealed.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:42:17 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Gee, several dudes did this yesterday, without a problem. One gentleman used the occasion to bring his arsenal (three weapons) slung on his shoulder.  I've never understood this phenomenon.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:59:15 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Walk down the street in Dallas with a long arm and you'll be in jail mighty quick.

Leaving Pasadena Gun Center, usually my AR is too hot to put in it's case.  One time I walked out on the city street with my AR in hand(pointed at the ground).  Was just walking 20 ft to my car to put it in the trunk.  A guy walking across almost jumped when he saw me.  He started looking around for cover and everything.  He seemed to calm down a little when I put the AR in my trunk.

The sheeple will be alarmed at the sight of an evil assault weapon.  I preffer to conceal my long arms whenever possible.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:17:04 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
The carrying of longarms is generally not regulated in Texas, of course you should not go to a prohibted place, and you should not carry it in a public place in a manner calculated to alarm;

EXACTLY

so long as the gun is legal, you are legal to possess it, and are in a place where weapons are not prohbited, you're OK.

Still, I would not walk around the courthouse square with an AR15 on my back, as that is ARGUABLY a manner calculated to alarm. Now walking out of Cabela's with your new 10/22, or carrying your AR into McBride's for reapir might be a different story....
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:29:10 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

EXACTLY

so long as the gun is legal, you are legal to possess it, and are in a place where weapons are not prohbited, you're OK.

Still, I would not walk around the courthouse square with an AR15 on my back, as that is ARGUABLY a manner calculated to alarm. Now walking out of Cabela's with your new 10/22, or carrying your AR into McBride's for reapir might be a different story....

just because you know that sheeple will become alarmed, does not mean that you CALCULATED to alarm...
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:37:36 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
just because you know that sheeple will become alarmed, does not mean that you CALCULATED to alarm...

You wanna be the test case?  God gave us all common sense for a reason.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:54:41 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You wanna be the test case?  God gave us all common sense for a reason.

Yes, one must be sensitive to the needs of the easily alaramed and overly sheltered.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:08:29 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Yes, one must be sensitive to the needs of the easily alaramed and overly sheltered.

Uhhhh I could give a shit about that guy.

I am worried about "Bubba" violating my ass in the county jail.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top